Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 10-09-2016, 07:57 PM   #301
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
@Samurai: The metadata download process tries to merge the results from multiple sites. Then it displays them in the list in the order of best match. I assume the bulk download takes the first of the matches. That makes it hard to guarantee any any particular source will be the selected one.

As you want the covers from other sites, the only think I can think of is to change the options for each of those sites. For each metadata source, you can set which metadata values to take. If you deselect all the values for all sources other than Goodreads, it will probably do what you want. I haven't tried this, so I'm not completely sure it will work.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 10:01 PM   #302
Samurai
Enthusiast
Samurai began at the beginning.

Device: iPad (4th Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
@Samurai: The metadata download process tries to merge the results from multiple sites. Then it displays them in the list in the order of best match. I assume the bulk download takes the first of the matches. That makes it hard to guarantee any any particular source will be the selected one.

As you want the covers from other sites, the only think I can think of is to change the options for each of those sites. For each metadata source, you can set which metadata values to take. If you deselect all the values for all sources other than Goodreads, it will probably do what you want. I haven't tried this, so I'm not completely sure it will work.
Ah, it'd be great if that could work. You can't change the sources from each different page individually on each. You can check/uncheck the metadata for all of the sources, unless there's another way I don't know.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-10-2016, 10:26 PM   #303
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samurai View Post
Ah, it'd be great if that could work. You can't change the sources from each different page individually on each. You can check/uncheck the metadata for all of the sources, unless there's another way I don't know.
If you select the source in the list, and press the "Configure selected source" button under the list, options for the source will be displayed. This has options to choose the metadata fields to use for that source.
Old 10-13-2016, 08:13 PM   #304
Samurai
Enthusiast
Samurai began at the beginning.

Device: iPad (4th Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
If you select the source in the list, and press the "Configure selected source" button under the list, options for the source will be displayed. This has options to choose the metadata fields to use for that source.
Ah, you are RIGHT. Thanks a lot. I don't know why but I always went to the option menu from the Edit Metadata window and not from the Preference to see the "Configure selected source".
Now I can pull metadata only form Goodreads and Covers from everywhere.
Samurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 11:38 PM   #305
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Update to version 1.12

I have just arranged for the release of a new version of the plugin. This has been is to fix an issue with ratings when it was not an integer. It is basically the beta from a few months ago.

There should be an update announced in calibre in the next hour or so.
Advert
Old 03-09-2017, 03:35 PM   #306
BookJunkieLI
Evangelist
BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookJunkieLI ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle 4, Nook Gl4, Nook STR, REB 1100, Ebookwise 1500,
Question

In Goodreads there are two fields, Setting and Literary Awards, that I would love to be able to download with the metadata, either into custom tag columns or even into the regular tags. Is this already possible or could it be made possible?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Goodreads.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	155548  
BookJunkieLI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 08:22 AM   #307
Tijntje
Tijntje began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3G
Is it possible to not let the Goodreads plugin overwrite the ISBN number?
currently I scrape my Dutch books with the Bol.com plugin and do a second scrape of Goodreads to import the tags, Rating, and Series information.
The problem is that Goodreads plugin often will retrieve a different ISBN number for that specific book and overwrite the value I originally got from Bol.com.

So if there would be an option to not download the ISBN and only add the Goodreads ID that would make my life so much easier.
Tijntje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2017, 01:05 PM   #308
Krazykiwi
Zealot
Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many random androids to list
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tijntje View Post
Is it possible to not let the Goodreads plugin overwrite the ISBN number?
currently I scrape my Dutch books with the Bol.com plugin and do a second scrape of Goodreads to import the tags, Rating, and Series information.
The problem is that Goodreads plugin often will retrieve a different ISBN number for that specific book and overwrite the value I originally got from Bol.com.
There are two GR plugins, one is the GR metadata download (this one) and it's not that smart. The other is the GR Sync one, and it's a bit brainier, and does have this option, you can tell it to never replace the ISBN or to only add one if none already exists.

Even if you don't actually use GR for anything else, I recommend in your case, grab the GR Sync one, because you can probably use it to fix your issue.

The most likely thing is that the specific edition for that ISBN does not exist on GR. So it's pulling the default edition from a search by title. If this is the problem, you probably don't want to actually pull GR metadata for that book. (Personally, I'd just go add the missing edition to GR, but you may not want the work. You can ask for it to be added in the librarian group though.)

You can specify a GR ID with the GR Sync plugin. Just select the book, press G, if it finds the ISBN it'll say "Goodreads matches for ISBN" at the top, and you can hit enter and it'll be the right edition. If it can't find the ISBN, it'll instead say "Goodreads matches for Title/Author". Then you can choose "Switch Edition" at the bottom, to pick another, or "Search Goodreads" to go find the right edition on the site, and then copy the URL (or drag and drop from your browser) right back into the plugin dialog. Now when you pull metadata from GR, it'll be the exact edition you specified.

I use it this way, I run through the books with the G key (you can multiselect), and only then pull metadata when I've got a GR ID assigned that I picked myself.

Just to be completionist, it may be pulling the right one from an ISBN search, but GR and many booksellers prefer to display the ISBN10, and Calibre prefers the ISBN13 - they are derived from each other. The ISBN10 is the middle 9 numbers from the 13, and a checksum at the end, and the ISBN13 is 978-first 9 digits of ISBN10, and another checksum (calculated a different way). E.G.
3499506777 = 9783499506772

It's pretty easy to eyeball once you get the hang of it, but if the correct ISBN editions are actually on GR, it might be simply that it's switching your ISBN10 for the ISBN13, without you realising it.
Krazykiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 08:16 AM   #309
Tijntje
Tijntje began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazykiwi View Post
There are two GR plugins, one is the GR metadata download (this one) and it's not that smart. The other is the GR Sync one, and it's a bit brainier, and does have this option, you can tell it to never replace the ISBN or to only add one if none already exists.

Even if you don't actually use GR for anything else, I recommend in your case, grab the GR Sync one, because you can probably use it to fix your issue.

The most likely thing is that the specific edition for that ISBN does not exist on GR. So it's pulling the default edition from a search by title. If this is the problem, you probably don't want to actually pull GR metadata for that book. (Personally, I'd just go add the missing edition to GR, but you may not want the work. You can ask for it to be added in the librarian group though.)

You can specify a GR ID with the GR Sync plugin. Just select the book, press G, if it finds the ISBN it'll say "Goodreads matches for ISBN" at the top, and you can hit enter and it'll be the right edition. If it can't find the ISBN, it'll instead say "Goodreads matches for Title/Author". Then you can choose "Switch Edition" at the bottom, to pick another, or "Search Goodreads" to go find the right edition on the site, and then copy the URL (or drag and drop from your browser) right back into the plugin dialog. Now when you pull metadata from GR, it'll be the exact edition you specified.

I use it this way, I run through the books with the G key (you can multiselect), and only then pull metadata when I've got a GR ID assigned that I picked myself.

Just to be completionist, it may be pulling the right one from an ISBN search, but GR and many booksellers prefer to display the ISBN10, and Calibre prefers the ISBN13 - they are derived from each other. The ISBN10 is the middle 9 numbers from the 13, and a checksum at the end, and the ISBN13 is 978-first 9 digits of ISBN10, and another checksum (calculated a different way). E.G.
3499506777 = 9783499506772

It's pretty easy to eyeball once you get the hang of it, but if the correct ISBN editions are actually on GR, it might be simply that it's switching your ISBN10 for the ISBN13, without you realising it.
Thank you for this , I will go and check it out.
It is pulling the actual wrong ISBN number like you described in the first section. If I run the Bol.com after getting the goodreads "wrong" ISBN I get the English title back most of the time.
In the past I've added a ton of books to GoodRead but I do not always want the additional work when I'm adding books to my library.
Tijntje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 06:11 AM   #310
anthony.burton4
Connoisseur
anthony.burton4 began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
Metadata update from Goodreads

I'm trying to update the metadata on a bunch of books.

I've used the Goodreads plugin, to link the books to Goodreads, so they all know have a Goodreads ID in the ID's field. I like this step because the plugin gives me a list of all books from the search and I'm able to select the specific one.

I've configured Calibre's metadata update to only use Goodreads, yet when I run it, it fails to find ANY of these books, so clearly not using the Goodreads ID!

Can anyone explain this behaviour and suggest a fix/workaround?

Thanks
anthony.burton4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 08:24 AM   #311
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

This appears to be working here. We probably need some examples that are failing, or the log from the metadata download to see what is happening.
Old 05-23-2017, 01:06 PM   #312
anthony.burton4
Connoisseur

Proving difficult to obtain a log

Running calibre-debug.exe --gui-debug calibre123.log DOES start up calibre. But when I exit calibre, I get the error message "No such file or directory: u'calibre123.log'

I've tried this with several options now - can't get it to save a log file.
Old 05-23-2017, 01:44 PM   #313
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You start calibre in debug mode by right clicking the preference button and choose restart in debug mode
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 02:07 PM   #314
anthony.burton4
Connoisseur

OK - this is the log

Code:
calibre Debug log
calibre 2.85.1 [64bit]  embedded-python: True is64bit: True
Windows-7-6.1.7601-SP1 Windows ('64bit', 'WindowsPE')
('Windows', '7', '6.1.7601')
Python 2.7.9
Windows: ('7', '6.1.7601', 'SP1', 'Multiprocessor Free')
Successfully initialized third party plugins: Goodreads (1, 1, 12) && Open With (1, 5, 10) && Count Pages (1, 7, 0) && Goodreads Sync (1, 10, 1) && FictionDB (1, 0, 10) && Extract ISBN (1, 4, 4) && Author Book Count (2, 1, 5) && KindleUnpack - The Plugin (0, 81, 4) && Favourites Menu (1, 0, 4) && Modify ePub (1, 3, 13) && Kindle Collections (1, 7, 17) && Quality Check (1, 9, 11)
devicePixelRatio: 1.0
logicalDpi: 96.0 x 96.0
physicalDpi: 72.035450517 x 72.0567375887
Starting up...
DEBUG:    0.0 HttpHelper::__init__: proxy=None
Started up in 5.37 seconds with 1728 books
Metadata sources cache was recently updated not updating again
Job: 1 Download metadata for one book finished
Starting job: Download metadata for one book 
	Download complete, with 1 failures

Last edited by anthony.burton4; 05-23-2017 at 04:40 PM.
Old 05-23-2017, 02:10 PM   #315
anthony.burton4
Connoisseur

Note - I am not running any antivirus or firewall.

Metadata update does work from other sources - e.g. Google

In the above example, I asked it to find one book:

Title:"You & Me & the Devil Makes Three- Esquire's Fiction for Men"
Author:"Aaron Gwyn; Jess Walter; Luis Alberto Urrea"
IDs:"goodreads:14739608"

Tags
goodreads, metadata