Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 06-24-2011, 08:39 PM   #286
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
OK, so the next obvious question is.... Which model stylus would I buy to be compatible with Boox? I will lose this one at some point, and I'd love to have a backup, one that doesn't feel so cheap. Do I just need to look for one that is "penabled?"
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 09:48 PM   #287
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
If they are like the enTourage eDGe (and it sounds like they are), the answer is yes, you need to look for "penabled". In the enTourage forum here on MobileRead there are a few threads about styluses that work and don't. Or maybe Dulin's carries accessories???
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-24-2011, 11:01 PM   #288
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
Penabled are the ones you need. you can find them on Amazon or direct fromWacom

I wish i had some. Wacom are the most stubborn company to try to buy from B to B.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 12:05 AM   #289
PF4Mobile
Guru
PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Touch, EEE 800 Note, Entourage PE, finally M92
Hi Pidgeon92

Could you please answer these questions (also asked here: Questions)?

Here is a the message if you prefer to answer them here

I am also interested in buying this ereader.
Has anybody tested the Highlighter in PDF mode?
Can you export what you highlighted?
What is the procedure for doing that?
What is the format for the exported notes or text selections via the highlighter?
Has the slowness when browsing PDFs been confirmed? I am asking about what other users notice in the video mentioned above.
How is the Internet browsing with this device?
How about the wireless performance?
Is it easy to pick up signal from near by Access Points or you have to be in the very proximity of such an AP?
How do you load the ebooks on it? -Answered above
Does Calibre see it you you simply put the "boox" on the SD card? -Answered above
How mature is the firmware? Not very old but the company has been selling these for two years now
Does it use the same firmware like the smaller models? I know that there will be some common functions between the smaller ones and this model and I expect no problems with these common functions/fucntionality..
How is the handwriting, especially when you comment on PDFs?
Does the writing follow the stylus promptly?
Can you see the comments, the highlighting, the handwriting on the desktop after you export them?

thanks a lot, I know that I am asking for a lot of your time but I believe that this will benefit all the other readers of this thread.
PF

Last edited by PF4Mobile; 06-25-2011 at 12:08 AM.
PF4Mobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 12:26 AM   #290
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

^^^ I haven't the foggiest clue about the majority of your unanswered questions. I read more novels than anything, and don't highlight or take notes, and don't feel I can test these features adequately.

This is my first Onyx device, so I cannot speak to the comparison between it and prior Onyx models.

------
Back to the question about the penabled styluses..... I see really just one model being available. Is this essentially an outdated technology?
Advert
Old 06-25-2011, 01:48 AM   #291
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
its been "superceeded" by newer wacom versions with more sensitivity , variable tips, etc for the drawing tablets used by professional artists etc but its not "old" as much as it is a mature tech useful for pen input without the expense of the newer fanciful version
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 06:16 AM   #292
sarah11918
Tablet Enthusiast
sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.sarah11918 can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo Aura One (formerly: Asus Eee Note, enTourage eDGe EE, Nokia N810)
As Filark mentioned, the Entourage Edge crowd has dabbled extensively in penabled stylus replacements. One really nice one (the one I have) is from Motion Computing (L-series pen). eBay is one place to look, and consider searching for items made for Tablet PCs ... just be sure it does say "penabled." The Motion Computing L-series pen also has a small hole through which you can thread a thin string/ribbon of some kind. (I use a disassembled cat toy's bouncy string.)

I've been reading this thread with interest, and for those who are more concerned with the writing functions, I would also suggest looking into the Asus Eee Note EA 800. My main concern is being able to annotate pdfs (signing documents, handwriting math solutions onto worksheets etc.) in something that's not a full-fledged tablet PC (so I can avoid Windows software).

This M90 and the Pocketbook seem like readers that also happen to have some writing capabilities, but the Asus is a writer that can also marginally function as a reader, and I think that's more interesting to me personally right now. My entourage edge is a great "heavy duty" machine for doing both, but a bit large and clunky for all the constant travel I do (while also taking a laptop). I was hoping one of these devices might replace it for the road, but I think I need more writing functions, like the Asus offers.

Thanks to everyone for sharing their experiences, and to Booxtor for the videos! They've helped tremendously!
sarah11918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 07:38 AM   #293
AkumaTakeshi
Lounge Lurker
AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi (Screen Broken)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah11918 View Post
As Filark mentioned, the Entourage Edge crowd has dabbled extensively in penabled stylus replacements. One really nice one (the one I have) is from Motion Computing (L-series pen). eBay is one place to look, and consider searching for items made for Tablet PCs ... just be sure it does say "penabled." The Motion Computing L-series pen also has a small hole through which you can thread a thin string/ribbon of some kind. (I use a disassembled cat toy's bouncy string.)

I've been reading this thread with interest, and for those who are more concerned with the writing functions, I would also suggest looking into the Asus Eee Note EA 800. My main concern is being able to annotate pdfs (signing documents, handwriting math solutions onto worksheets etc.) in something that's not a full-fledged tablet PC (so I can avoid Windows software).

This M90 and the Pocketbook seem like readers that also happen to have some writing capabilities, but the Asus is a writer that can also marginally function as a reader, and I think that's more interesting to me personally right now. My entourage edge is a great "heavy duty" machine for doing both, but a bit large and clunky for all the constant travel I do (while also taking a laptop). I was hoping one of these devices might replace it for the road, but I think I need more writing functions, like the Asus offers.

Thanks to everyone for sharing their experiences, and to Booxtor for the videos! They've helped tremendously!
You have the Asus Eee Reader DR900 too, but although it sounds like good products after researching a bit they don't seem that good, in fact I think they seem a bit bad.
AkumaTakeshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 08:34 AM   #294
rickomuer
Enthusiast
rickomuer began at the beginning.

Device: none
There seems to be a deadly silence around the DR900 , no reviews , not places to purchase... can some one fill me in on this ? It seems i have lost my google abilities.
rickomuer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 08:49 AM   #295
AkumaTakeshi
Lounge Lurker
AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AkumaTakeshi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi (Screen Broken)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickomuer View Post
There seems to be a deadly silence around the DR900 , no reviews , not places to purchase... can some one fill me in on this ? It seems i have lost my google abilities.
I think it's not that much different from the EA800 case, seems they don't sell it everywhere. And very few people have either of them.
AkumaTakeshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 09:11 AM   #296
rickomuer
Enthusiast
rickomuer began at the beginning.

That is very unfortunate. Asus is a solid company.

Back to boox M90/91S

- Can IR sensor be turned off since it is too much of a pain ?
- Can some one brief on PDF performance on M91S, M90 is just crap at the moment imo.

Cheers!
rickomuer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 10:08 AM   #297
PF4Mobile
Guru
PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.PF4Mobile can teach chickens to fly.

Device: Kobo Touch, Nook Touch, EEE 800 Note, Entourage PE, finally M92
I have the same impression about EEE800 and DR900. I looked at both and used google to find info about them but not much came back as a result to my searches. The very few videos show almost nothing to convince me to buy one of them.
Same goes for Onyx M90.
I even used Baidu, the chinese search engine, to search videos for these. Not many out there. The resellers should make a better job trying to show us these things in videos. Let's not forget that seeing is believing
PF4Mobile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 10:28 AM   #298
zanoll
zanoll began at the beginning.

Quote:
http://forum.simplicissimus.it/index.php?board=144.0
unfortunately only in Italian...

is sold in Italy...
I state that I never tried ... but the majority of posts are of complaints...
only 9'' sipix very gray screen...
Some users complain about the screen breaking without shocks...
very hardly usable annotations... i think not annotations for pdf...
very very bad customer service...

to return to the m90, if I buy by the official site http://www.onyx-boox.com/ how many time to get home?

this other site http://www.ebookreaderstore.it/ is reliable? someone has bought something on this site?
what about pdfs?

Last edited by zanoll; 06-25-2011 at 10:34 AM.
zanoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 10:51 AM   #299
mdzieg
mdzieg began at the beginning.

Device: Boox M91S
Quote:
That is very unfortunate. Asus is a solid company.

Back to boox M90/91S

- Can IR sensor be turned off since it is too much of a pain ?
- Can some one brief on PDF performance on M91S, M90 is just crap at the moment imo.

Cheers!

Unfortunatelly no. IR sensor can't be turned of. I suggested to create such possibility - the same as with capacity buttons. But having that option needs inprovement with capacity buttons (arrows) navigation. When you reach the last or the first element in a row. Selecting right or left arrow should move you to the next or previous row. For now when you have the latest element selected and you "click" right arrow - you go to the first element in the same row. Without any changes here you 'll have to enable/disable IR button to often IMO.

As far as PDF stuff is concerned... I'm a little confused cause I had some problems with stablilty when browsing them. But this is adobe mobile reader - not onyx problem I think... Besides that, reading quite large documents (~30MB) with some graphics is OK for me. But this is just subjective opinion.

You have mentioned Assus DR900. I was also waiting for that device, but there was nothing from asus for quite long.
mdzieg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 11:09 AM   #300
pidgeon92
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarah11918 View Post
As Filark mentioned, the Entourage Edge crowd has dabbled extensively in penabled stylus replacements. One really nice one (the one I have) is from Motion Computing (L-series pen). eBay is one place to look, and consider searching for items made for Tablet PCs ... just be sure it does say "penabled."
Thank you for this. The best price (including tax and shipping, and having checked ebay listings) that I found online was here. A bit pricey at just under $40 with shipping, but it looks like it will be much better than the included stylus.

Tags
onyx boox, onyx boox m90