Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-16-2010, 09:52 PM   #1
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Review of Oberon Kindle 2 Cover with PRS 950

I recently purchased an Oberon Kindle 2 cover for my new PRS-950 and thought I would share my experience since there aren't that many 950 cover options yet. Let me start by saying I love it!

I just couldn't help myself! I read too many glowing testimonials of Oberon on this forum so I peeked at their website and was amazed by their creative designs. Well, I was on vacation recently, and the hotel gift shop had Oberon journals. I knew then that I really wanted one after being able to touch and see the quality of their product first-hand! It's disappointing that they don't offer an ereader cover made specifically for the new Sony models. Many people have successfully converted the journals into an ereader cover, but I wanted the extra reassurance of straps. I also like the felt and small pocket on the front cover. I compared the dimensions of the 950 to the Kindles and Nook. I've put the dimensions below for your reference:

Kindle 2 -- 8.0 x 5.3 x 0.36
Sony 950 -- 7.9 x 5.0 x 0.38
Nook classic -- 7.7 x 4.9 x 0.50
Kindle 3 -- 7.5 x 4.8 x 0.34

I thought the Nook cover might be too tight. I decided to try the K2 cover because I could maybe use velcro to attach to the back cover if the straps were too loose. If it didn't work out at all, then I had someone in mind who I could gift it to for Christmas so my money wouldn't be wasted.

It's not a perfect fit, but it feels snug enough in the K2 straps. I am not sure if the leather straps will soften/loosen with age but if so you could always add velcro. The strap in the lower left corner covers the wireless switch but not enough that I can't turn it on/off. The strap in the upper left corner is the bigger issue since it covers the power switch. It's ok for me since I can use my fingernail on the switch ridges very easily. It might be an issue if you have large hands. The elastic strap in the upper corner covers the SD card. You can fold the front cover back to read although it is quite bulky compared to the Sony cover. I prefer to read it like a book. It also came with extra elastic so you can replace the upper right corner and cover latch straps if it stretches out.

Oberon customer service was very good. It only took a few days before it shipped. I recommend selecting USPS for delivery since it's faster and cheaper than their UPS option. It took less then a week from order placement to my doorstep.

I also attached some pictures to show what the reader looks like in the cover. Good luck choosing from the numerous options if you decide to get one too! I selected the Red Hummingbird design by the way. Now my K3 is looking very unloved in its plain Amazon cover....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Open Cover.jpg
Views:	1039
Size:	210.0 KB
ID:	61326   Click image for larger version

Name:	Top View.jpg
Views:	906
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	61327   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bottom View.jpg
Views:	826
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	61328   Click image for larger version

Name:	Front Cover.jpg
Views:	826
Size:	100.1 KB
ID:	61331  
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 10:12 PM   #2
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Aha!

Could one pull the upper left strap away easily to get at the switch, if necessary. As for the SD card, I find it easier to leave it in, and download from Calibre to the card (B) instead of the device itself. My experience with their customer service was also excellent.

Thanks again for the pics!
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-16-2010, 10:16 PM   #3
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks again for the Oberon recommendation in a previous post, SeaBookGuy! I can't believe how well constructed their product is. It is also priced low for the quality that you get. I really like it!
Old 11-16-2010, 10:26 PM   #4
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBookGuy View Post
Aha!

Could one pull the upper left strap away easily to get at the switch, if necessary.
I'm sorry. I think I missed your question in your post. The leather straps are pretty taut so I wouldn't say you could "easily" move the strap away. But there is enough clearance (since the 950 is smaller than the K2) that you can shift the ereader in place to get better access to the switch. It is definitely easy with my fingernail, but it might be difficult/frustrating if you have large hands.
Old 11-16-2010, 11:08 PM   #5
natasha_fawn
Evangelist
natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-950 (finally!)
Very nice review, thank you. I'd sort of been thinking about trying that out, too, but I was worried that the straps might cover part of the screen. I didn't even think about the buttons being covered. Is the upper left strap in any danger of accidentally pressing the power switch? Would it be in any danger of falling out if you were to drop it, or if (purely hypothetically, of course) a cat were to knock it off a shelf?
natasha_fawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-16-2010, 11:23 PM   #6
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by natasha_fawn View Post
Very nice review, thank you. I'd sort of been thinking about trying that out, too, but I was worried that the straps might cover part of the screen. I didn't even think about the buttons being covered. Is the upper left strap in any danger of accidentally pressing the power switch? Would it be in any danger of falling out if you were to drop it, or if (purely hypothetically, of course) a cat were to knock it off a shelf?
I was only worried about the straps covering the screen too when I bought it and didn't think about the switches either. There really isn't enough friction for the strap to accidentally press the power switch. It really fits quite nicely - not too loose and not too tight. I shook it around a bit, and I don't think it will fall out. If the cover is latched, then it is definitely secure.

Cats never knock anything off shelves, even hypothetically! Ok, I can't say that last sentence with a straight face. My cat enjoys pushing pens and smaller objects off tables. Luckily she's never tried a book although I'm just waiting for that day to come. The combination of the ereader and cover seems kind of heavy for her to be able to push.
Old 11-18-2010, 02:46 AM   #7
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Beautiful!! And thank you so much for the precise measurement of the 950. I've been worried it wouldn't fit in my current case that I'm using for the 650 (and the current case is too large for the 650). By your measurements, it looks like it should be a perfect fit for the case I already have... which, by the way, is a Nook case, LOL.
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 07:01 AM   #8
remesh
remesh began at the beginning.

Device: SONY PRS-950SC
I was also thinking of a nook color cover which is even closer in size than kindle 2.
remesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 12:03 PM   #9
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

I have seen one post where someone said they are using an M-Edge Latitude case for the Nook. They said it was a little tight but an ok solution.

I saw another post where someone said he tried the Barnes & Noble branded covers, and they don't fit.

Currently Oberon is saying that they don't plan to offer a cover for the Nook Color. They will reconsider if enough people request it.
Old 11-18-2010, 12:20 PM   #10
natasha_fawn
Evangelist
natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.natasha_fawn can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-950 (finally!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
I have seen one post where someone said they are using an M-Edge Latitude case for the Nook. They said it was a little tight but an ok solution.

I saw another post where someone said he tried the Barnes & Noble branded covers, and they don't fit.

Currently Oberon is saying that they don't plan to offer a cover for the Nook Color. They will reconsider if enough people request it.
I just saw on their facebook page that they might be planning them for after the holidays. (I don't even have a facebook and I've been looking at their page!) The 10th post down is a question about when covers for the nook Color will be available, and the response from Oberon was "Not until well after the holidays. Interest in Nookcolor has been lukewarm so we are not rushing them to market." And then in the next post down from that, about contests, someone mentions that the Kindle 2 cover will fit the nook Color, and Oberon responds that they're checking it out but "are concerned with it not being a good fit (and if its a little off and the device falls out that is bad for business). IF that changes I will be sure to post it though!" All of which suggests to me that they are planning on one, but it's not a priority.
natasha_fawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 12:53 PM   #11
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

I read similar discussions by Oberon support. I think they said that they had ordered a Nook Color and would evaluate when they received it. So there is hope!
Old 11-18-2010, 02:58 PM   #12
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post

Well, if it doesn't fit, I have a good excuse to get an Oberon cover, LOL!! But according to the measurements of device and case.. it *should* fit.
Old 11-20-2010, 12:46 PM   #13
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Oberon's "red" seems darker, more crimson, "live" than in any pictures I've seen
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 01:21 PM   #14
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaBookGuy View Post
Oberon's "red" seems darker, more crimson, "live" than in any pictures I've seen
Yes, it is a darker rather than bolder red. It is a really nice color - not too orange and not too purple. I noticed that the Oberon website has different shades of red too, both a "red" and a "wine" color. My 505 has a red 600 cover on it. When I compare them side by side, it makes the Sony cover look more like mulberry so the Sony red has more purplish tint to it than the Oberon does.
Old 11-21-2010, 02:34 AM   #15
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel

Well....leave it to me. I was worried about the width measurement, which is actually ok. VERY snug, but ok. The problem is the that the 950 is taller than I figured - and so is about 1/4 inch too tall for the Nook cover.
Not sure what I'm going to do about it, at the moment though. I'm drooling over the dragonfly pond Oberon cover, but just bankrupted myself with the new Reader, LOL!! Maybe in a few weeks...