Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 06-19-2014, 06:18 PM   #20011
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by samhy View Post
If it were me, I would read something else first but it's only because I need some "fresh air" to keep enjoying a story.

I hope the issue with #2 at Kobo will be over soon. It doesn't cast a good light on Kobo, Jodi Taylor nor Accent Press
Yes, I feel the same, though occasionally do go straight to the next in a series (I'm currently doing that with the Repairman Jack series, only on audiobook rather than reading). Anyway, I have started Doughnut by Tom Holt, which is looking like it's going to be the usual blend of humour and fantasy - good fun.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014, 10:43 PM   #20012
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
...only on audiobook rather than reading). Anyway, I have started Doughnut by Tom Holt....
Is there any truth to the rumor that the abridged audio-recording of Doughnut is called Don't?
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 04:41 AM   #20013
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Now for The Long War by Terry Pratchett and Stephen Baxter, which I bought all the way back in October 2013!
Which was OK, but seemed to be more setting things up for the next book than actually having a point in itself.

Next up: Ghosts of Time by Steve White. A continuation of his interesting series about time travel. A recent Baen book release bought from Kobo with a good coupon.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 05:53 AM   #20014
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
Is there any truth to the rumor that the abridged audio-recording of Doughnut is called Don't?
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 08:35 AM   #20015
plumboz
Novelist
plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.plumboz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook
Richard Russo

Just a couple months ago I read Empire Falls by Richard Russo. Great read. And it's always nice to discover an author who has been around for a while because then you've got a catalog of work to read! So I just picked up Straight Man, which is about 15 years old. I'm about half way through and it's another great read. Having his way with the world of academia and doing it brilliantly.
plumboz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 09:14 AM   #20016
Moe The Cat
Bear Melt
Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Google Pixel 6, Moto G9 Power (both with Fbreader) & Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post

Moe The Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 11:07 AM   #20017
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe The Cat View Post
My work here is done!
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 03:02 PM   #20018
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Currently reading...

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
I finished reading Artful yesterday and it was the dark, funny, and action-packed story as stated in the above.

I've always thought that Jim Butcher, with his four different vampire courts had a really fresh take on vampires but it seems he's not alone in fresh takes. Peter David has some new twists applied to vampires as well! Check it out, it's free from Amazon Kindle First to Amazon Prime members all month.

Next up Killing Orders (V.I. Warshawski #3) by Sara Paretsky
Killing Orders was, quite enjoyable, as I'd expected it to be. So while I'm in the detective frame of mind I'll read a detective novel taking place in the present, The Silkworm (Cormoran Strike #2) by Robert Galbraith (J.K.Rowling).

Quote:
Private investigator Cormoran Strike returns in a new mystery from Robert Galbraith, author of the #1 international bestseller The Cuckoo's Calling.

Last edited by alansplace; 06-20-2014 at 03:07 PM.
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 03:29 PM   #20019
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
So while I'm in the detective frame of mind I'll read a detective novel taking place in the present, The Silkworm (Cormoran Strike #2) by Robert Galbraith (J.K.Rowling).
I'm excited for this one too. It seems like it was released early, the original release date was June 24. I have to read this month's book club selection, Hyperion, first though.

I finished Written in my Own Heart's Blood by Diana Gabaldon this week. It didn't disappoint, this is still my favourite series. The only disappointment is that the next one won't be out for another three years.
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 05:32 PM   #20020
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Next up: Ghosts of Time by Steve White. A continuation of his interesting series about time travel. A recent Baen book release bought from Kobo with a good coupon.
An enjoyable book, although not one where I become deeply attached to the characters.

Now: The Nicholas Feast by Pat McIntosh. The second of the Gil Cunningham Mediaeval Glasgow murder mysteries I picked up earlier this year.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 02:19 PM   #20021
Hampshire Nanny
Guru
Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hampshire Nanny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3 KB, iPad2
Quote:
Originally Posted by BelleZora View Post
I struck a reading lull a few weeks ago and now have five books going, but none that hold my attention.
I do the same. And lately, if the interest doesn't come back, I simply abandon the book. I do record that I started the book, how far I read, and why I've decided not to finish it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by treadlightly View Post
I finished Written in my Own Heart's Blood by Diana Gabaldon this week. It didn't disappoint, this is still my favourite series. The only disappointment is that the next one won't be out for another three years.
Well, I've got a few to read before I'm ready for Written in My Own Heart's Blood and I've been reading the Lord John series as well. Looks like I need to move this series higher on my TBR list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plumboz View Post
Just a couple months ago I read Empire Falls by Richard Russo. Great read. And it's always nice to discover an author who has been around for a while because then you've got a catalog of work to read! So I just picked up Straight Man, which is about 15 years old. I'm about half way through and it's another great read. Having his way with the world of academia and doing it brilliantly.
Hmmmm. I had a paperback copy of Empire Falls around for a while and for whatever reason, I just didn't start to read it, so I gave the book to a fellow reader. Maybe I need to revisit this one soon.
Hampshire Nanny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 04:38 PM   #20022
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Just finished The Confessor by Daniel Silva and it was a smashing read with a very wild ending!
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2014, 06:06 PM   #20023
NickyWithNook
Guru
NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickyWithNook ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite (Don't use Nook anymore)
I haven't kept up with this thread but recently read books are:

* Mom and Me and Mom by Maya Angelou, which I liked but not as much as other books by her.

* These Things Hidden by Heather Gudenkauf, which I disliked. I don't know why I finished it, as I abandon books I don't like regularly, but this one got worse and worse as it went and then ended with a silly and completely unbeleivable fit of melodrama, so the move to 1-star status was very late.

* The Vanshing Act of Esme Lennox by Maggie O'Farrell, which I loved, although I was a bit disappointed by the ending.

* Eleanor and Park by Ranbow Rowell, a YA book I really liked that had a believable abusive family relationship and was set in the 80s when I was a teenager so I guess there was some nostaligia value.
NickyWithNook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 11:31 AM   #20024
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Loved it. I'm not quite sure what it is about these books that really works so well for me, but I think it's the Peter Grant character as much as anything. He is so not like the typical police detective of most British mysteries - at least a DI, and all too often from a better background than pretty much any real British DI. Plus the backdrop of modern London definitely adds to the story.

Next up, A Mighty Fortress, book #4 in the Safehold series from David Weber. I'm doing a combined audio/eBook read of this.
Finished. Another 3.5 star. Not bad, just not as good as it could be. I enjoy Weber's books, but I sincerely wish he could write "tighter"! Next up is How Firm a Foundation, which also has a change in reader for the Audible version. (Really annoying, 4 different readers for this series!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
So glad you're enjoying it! It's one of those odd books that if you simply read the description you'd likely give it a pass. But somehow, it works. Even though I'm mostly avoiding "urban fantasy" or anything like it these days.

I just broke down and bought #4 in the series (Broken Homes), which gives me incentive to finish off this current Safehold monstrosity so I can get back to Peter Grant and the other characters in these Rivers of London books.
I'll start this one once I finish reading The Martian, downloaded from the BC Library.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
I am a big fan of British urban fantasy and Steampunk. I enjoyed all of the Abrahams books. Phoenix Rising by Pip Ballantine & Tee Morris introduced me to Steampunk. Very good IMO. I am a big fan of British mysteries of almost any type.

Two Canadian mystery authors I have been enjoying recently are Jack Batten - Crang and Howard Engel - Benny Cooperman. Not Urban Fantasy, sort of medium boiled detective. I think you would like them.

Helen
Hmm. No sign of the first one in the BC Library system, but a bunch of Howard Engle books. Unfortunately, the first one available is #5, A City Called July. Is this the sort of series that really needs to be read from the beginning? Or can I jump in at #5?
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 03:37 PM   #20025
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
Finished What Judgements Come by Dayton Ward the 7th in the Star Trek:Vanguard series. The author moves the story along setting up the finale in the final book Storming Heaven. This was slightly better than previous books in the series with less review of books 1-6. Lots of loose ends to clean up. Interested to see how the next author does it. Rated C- [3 stars].

Next is The Coldest War by Ian Tregillis. The next installment in an alternate WW2 universe.
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote