Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 03-30-2013, 04:05 PM   #1
alanHd
Addict
alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Ipod Touch, Ipad Air
Line break - noob question

Hi,

Go gentle on me i am a total newbie when it comes to editing ebooks files.

I have converted a PDF with Mobi Pocket creater and i decided to take the plung with sigil and clean up the resulting files.

The problem i have is certain lines are joined and i would like to split them, what is happening is, in book view when i press enter it is giving me a paragraph break when i want a line break.

Is there an easy way in book view to insert a line break without changing to code view and manually inserting a line break.
alanHd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 04:54 PM   #2
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Why would you want a linebreak instead of a paragraph break? If it is to keep the lines as is, that will not work due to the reflow character of an ePUB.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 05:09 PM   #3
alanHd
Addict
alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

When it inserts a paragraph break i get an extra blank line. i started on the contents menu and some lines are joined.

example page 20 example page 25
becomes

example page 20

example page 25

what i want is a line break so it is

example page 20
example page 25

does this make sense
Old 03-30-2013, 05:15 PM   #4
ShellShock
Wizard
ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShellShock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: IPad Mini 2 Retina
There is no such thing as a line break. What you have is a paragraph with differing amounts of white space above (top-margin) or below (bottom-margin). So for a "line break" you need the first paragraph to have no bottom-margin, and the second paragraph to have no top-margin. The margins are normally set in the stylesheet, so you need to make sure your paragraphs have the right classes (styles) set in the stylesheet.
ShellShock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2013, 05:38 PM   #5
alanHd
Addict

i think i am confused over my terms,i thought "<br/>" was a line break
Old 03-30-2013, 07:30 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanHd View Post
<br /> <-- note the space
is a break in the current flow. it will maintain the current style attributes in the absence of its own class

Look at the code view to see if you are getting a new <p or there is a <br />

You may need to define a class to use with the BR to control margin-top/bottom and line-space that will be inherited from the containing <p

<br class="tight" />
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 03:26 AM   #7
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellShock View Post
There is no such thing as a line break. What you have is a paragraph with differing amounts of white space above (top-margin) or below (bottom-margin).
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanHd View Post
I think ShellShock means that the "extra blank line" you are seeing is not really a blank line, but paragraph (top/bottom) margins. Set p{margin: 0} in the CSS and they should disappear (if the code is clean enough).

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
<br /> <-- note the space
The space is not needed, at least not in XHTML, which ePub uses.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 03:47 AM   #8
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
If you use <br />, your text will be messed up. Indeed set the margins in the stylesheet correct, and it works fine.
However, please be aware that in Sigil Code View there will be an empty line between paragraphs. This is only in Code View and has no impact on the book itself.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 03:52 AM   #9
alanHd
Addict

ok i think i get it, thanks for taking the time to explain.
Old 03-31-2013, 06:10 AM   #10
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
One of the consequences of using <br/> is that first-line indent will no longer work. It has its uses, though. For instance, in short fragment of centered text, or in titles:

Code:
<h2>Chapter 1<br/>An Unexpected Party</h2>
Code:
<div class="center">
Alphonse Allais<br/>
FABRICANT D’ÉCRABOUILLITE
</div>
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 07:50 AM   #11
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
If you want just a break <br />, use shift-enter. But as noted above, if it is in middle of a paragraph which has been indented, it will go all the way to the left margin and be out of line with the first line.

For lists shorter than a line, you can do it three ways.

Define a class in css which you put on each line in your list, as suggested above, something like<p class="examplelist"> where the top and bottom margins are 0.

You can define a special class for the paragraph holding the whole list in which margin left is 0 and use breaks between items.

You can set the margins for all paragraphs as 0 then you will not get the behavior.

But the paragraphs will all be close to each other. Many consider this behavior desirable, and others not. Since you are doing it, you get to choose.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 10:27 PM   #12
teh603
Autism Spectrum Disorder
teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.teh603 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android Phone
Just a thought, if you want a newline without starting a paragraph, the keystroke for typing it in a word processor is usually shift-return. Seems to be valid in Windows, MacOS, and all major Linux distros.
teh603 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 11:23 AM   #13
Frenchdummy
Enthusiast
Frenchdummy can illuminate an eclipseFrenchdummy can illuminate an eclipseFrenchdummy can illuminate an eclipseFrenchdummy can illuminate an eclipseFrenchdummy can illuminate an eclipseFrenchdummy can illuminate an eclipseFrenchdummy can illuminate an eclipseFrenchdummy can illuminate an eclipseFrenchdummy can illuminate an eclipseFrenchdummy can illuminate an eclipseFrenchdummy can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kobo glo, Apple devices
Question césure

Hi,

Go gentle on me i am a total newbie when it comes to editing ebooks files.
Like the first poster on this thread ! In addition, I'm French.

I even don't know how to say what is my problem.

well, it's about the words break code to insert when needed.

It's called "césure" in French and looks like this

xxxxx xxxxx xx, il lui dit bonjour.[Right margin] WRONG
xxxxx xxxxx xx, il lui dit bon-[Right margin] WANT I WANT
jour.

But it's an optional code depending of the device used.

I did that into Word (for mac) a long time ago. But I'm asking if it works on the same way into Sigil.
Frenchdummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 12:01 PM   #14
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
The term is: Hyphenate, in this case (conditional) auto-hyphenate

support is also conditional by reading device. (Another way of saying, all devices don't support the style setting)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:05 PM   #15
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
You can often insert a & shy; (remove the space after the &) which is called a soft hyphen. This will insert a break if needed based on the right margin.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote