Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-06-2012, 01:49 PM   #151
Asher_N
Asher_N began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Just updated to 2.1.4. Seems OK, however, the home screen now shows both finished and ubread books. How do I go back to only showing unread/in progress books?
Asher_N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 06:36 PM   #152
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by beautifulsoup View Post
Is the delima font still on the device?

If not, can anyone recommend a font similar to delima that I could track down?
You can extract the delima font from the firmware update files of earlier versions. You can find the links at https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...69&postcount=1. The location of the fonts is for instance "kobo3-update-1.9.17\KoboRoot\KoboRoot\usr\local\Trolltech\QtEmb edded-4.6.2-arm\lib\fonts". You have to decompress kobo3-update-1.9.17.exe and after that KoboRoot.tgz and KoboRoot.tar to get there.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 06:51 PM   #153
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by FJames View Post
I'm finding it difficult to get a consensus from all the comments too. I'm still on 1.9.17, and for the most part it has been fine. I have a few database problems that crept in somewhere along the way, so I should probably do a factory reset and start over anyway, but it sounds like there are as many down-sides to 2.1.4 as there are improvements.
I don't see it that way. 2.1.4 is super fast and has some very nice features - such as the handling of the shelves.

Just remember, you'll see more reports of problems than praise on forums like this - understandably - because people come here for help with problems.
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 07:31 PM   #154
beautifulsoup
Addict
beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many ereaders.
Another probably dumb question - but as I'm still rather enjoying 1.9.17, I wonder,is it possible to synch Kobo ebook purchases that occured after that update, via the desktop, without doing the ereader update?

Last edited by beautifulsoup; 10-07-2012 at 09:21 PM. Reason: Changed post content entirely!
beautifulsoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 07:35 PM   #155
beautifulsoup
Addict
beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many ereaders.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VirgoGirl View Post
And, for those Kobo developers reading this, please bring back Delima, it's a beautiful font (which I didn't notice until I just actively looked at it. - but now I'm going to use the HECK out of it!)
Same thing happened to me.

Last edited by beautifulsoup; 10-06-2012 at 07:38 PM.
beautifulsoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 08:41 PM   #156
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
I'm using 2.1.4, and i have a major complaint about it.

It's too damn fast.

It used to be that I could touch the screen for the next page when I got to the bottom line of text, and the screen would update just as I finished the line.

Now, I have to finish the line before touching the screen!

Also, and I'm not sure its not just my imagination, but I think that page turning is leaving less static on the page, so you don't have to do the 'redraw' of the screen as often.
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 09:36 PM   #157
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
You can extract the delima font from the firmware update files of earlier versions. You can find the links at https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...69&postcount=1. The location of the fonts is for instance "kobo3-update-1.9.17\KoboRoot\KoboRoot\usr\local\Trolltech\QtEmb edded-4.6.2-arm\lib\fonts". You have to decompress kobo3-update-1.9.17.exe and after that KoboRoot.tgz and KoboRoot.tar to get there.
Thankyou!
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:24 PM   #158
corroonb
Addict
corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.corroonb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura, Nexus 9
I still haven't received the update. When is the roll-out expected to be complete and why is it taking so long?
corroonb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 10:50 PM   #159
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by corroonb View Post
I still haven't received the update. When is the roll-out expected to be complete and why is it taking so long?
This is purely speculation on my part: My guess is that it's a combination of new hardware release causing an increased workload for customer service due to a large number of new users and partly long holiday weekend this weekend in Canada. They probably have a skeleton tech staff on to cover anything that basic frontline help can't handle. They might also be trying to avoid servers being overloaded new users needing to upgrade device on registration along with 2.1.4 upgraders. They can't control the number/timing of users with new devices but they can manage the upgrade rollout.
Or maybe it's for completely different reasons since I'm just speculating .
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2012, 11:12 PM   #160
Suzanna
Living in the past
Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Suzanna ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Arc
Quote:
Originally Posted by murg View Post
I'm using 2.1.4, and i have a major complaint about it.

It's too damn fast.

It used to be that I could touch the screen for the next page when I got to the bottom line of text, and the screen would update just as I finished the line.

Now, I have to finish the line before touching the screen!
Ha! I have the same "problem". I've had to go back to the previous page more than a few times because I keep forgetting to wait until I reach the end of the line before tapping the screen.
Suzanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 01:54 AM   #161
Chocky
Addict
Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Touch
I'm resident in the UK and still haven't had the roll-out.

Anybody else in the UK not had it yet?

Steve
Chocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 02:34 AM   #162
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danger View Post
Slight correction, it would not respond after it come out of sleep mode. I'd wake it up, it would wake up, I'd finish reading the page, tap to turn the page... nothing, tap again... nothing, tap again... nothing... after about the 6th tap it would reboot and be all happy again until the next time it went to sleep. It's been suggested this may be because I use an SD card to store my books on. I did not try this: read/sleep/wake/read procedure without the SD card in. I did try a complete reset and upgrade via the desktop app but still had the same problem. I went back to 1.9.17 as other than dead taps every so often I've had no other problems with it, it's been my favorite firmware.
I noticed that restart on coming out of sleep. On the 3 KTs I've tested, all of them exhibited the same behaviour. Wake it up, displays the last page read, tap to move to the next page and nothing happens, try a couple of more taps and the KT restarts.

On my KT, I tried the signout, factory reset and auto upgrade, factory reset and manual upgrade, removing all books from the SD card and re-adding them after a factory reset and nothing seemed to help with the restart issue.

Two of the KTs were happy campers when I removed the SD card and copied the books to the internal memory (about 500MB on one and 250MB on the other). The third one is mine and it works without the SD card but I have more books on the SD card than will fit into the KT's internal memory so I had to decide whether to remove some books from the active library or to drop back to 2.1.1 until the next upgrade comes out.

Being a curious soul and having some time on my hands, I tried 4 different micro-SD cards in my KT and the same restart after sleep with all of them so I don't think it is an issue with my micro-SD card collection.

At this time, IMO, if you use the KT without an SD card, 2.1.4 is definitely a must have. If you use an SD card, 2.1.4 is not going to make your list of top upgrades for 2012.

Last edited by DNSB; 10-07-2012 at 02:36 AM. Reason: Internal dictionary and fingers not communicating
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 02:37 AM   #163
daldred
Enthusiast
daldred is a marvel to beholddaldred is a marvel to beholddaldred is a marvel to beholddaldred is a marvel to beholddaldred is a marvel to beholddaldred is a marvel to beholddaldred is a marvel to beholddaldred is a marvel to beholddaldred is a marvel to beholddaldred is a marvel to beholddaldred is a marvel to behold

Device: Elonex eb511
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocky View Post
I'm resident in the UK and still haven't had the roll-out.

Anybody else in the UK not had it yet?
That's exactly what I was going to post this morning! Also in the UK, also not had it.

I'm away from home later next week; can anyone tell me whether this upgrade (from 2.0.0) will mean needing to reload sideloaded epubs? If so I'll leave wifi firmly switched off while I'm away from Calibre on my home PC!
daldred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 07:06 AM   #164
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Has 2.1.4 added anything in shelves so you can set your own order of the books. I have a series, and would like to have the order shown in series order. I'm interested in this on the device itself (not using Calibre).

Thanks.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 07:12 AM   #165
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I noticed that restart on coming out of sleep. On the 3 KTs I've tested, all of them exhibited the same behaviour. Wake it up, displays the last page read, tap to move to the next page and nothing happens, try a couple of more taps and the KT restarts.
There is a thread about this here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...38#post2252238

I have had success getting this to go away by reformatting the sd card and then adding the books back in. A more complete explanation is in the thread.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote