Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

View Poll Results: gane of thrones: good reads?
yep 88 61.97%
nope 17 11.97%
its okay 18 12.68%
option 4 19 13.38%
Voters: 142. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-29-2012, 07:49 AM   #16
AlexGrama
Writer
AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Nexus 7
I'm going to start the series today.
AlexGrama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 08:07 PM   #17
Indio777
Addict
Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Indio777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Mobile Phone, Kindle (rarely), but mostly still read paper
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewH View Post
There was plenty of "skin" in the books, too. I don't care to guess on GRRM's personal tastes, but in ASOIAF he's disturbingly focused on the female anatomy.
Well, yes, this is an "adult" fantasy series.

I wonder how many people who have been critical of "skin" have read the books. You are right, there was "skin" in the books. But for a non-skin example, at least one reviewer has commented on the audacity of killing off one of the good guys in the first season. Well, jeez, that was in the book. And it was painful, but this is not an "after undergoing great hardships, all the "good" characters lived happily ever after tra-la-la-la-la series. I believe the series is better for that.

Bad things can happen to "good people." I won't go into detail and spoil things for those who are just starting the series.

But I still think HBO has inserted a lot of unnecessary footage. I guess I shouldn't be surprised, it is HBO after all.

That being said, I loved the four volumes I have read, and eagerly await each new episode. Overall, a good job has been done so far. And of course, I bought Season One as soon as it came out on DVD.
Indio777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 08:22 PM   #18
stodge
Groupie
stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stodge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650SC
I got half way through book one and I gave up out of sheer boredom. I wanted to get into the series but it wasn't for me. I've been reading fantasy for years but for some reason it didn't click. So I voted nope.
stodge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 10:18 AM   #19
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
I voted "yep" but not without reservations. I didn't find them boring but I didn't like some things that happened. I really can't go into it without spoilers.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 04:39 AM   #20
melchizedek
melchizedek can read faster than his screen refreshesmelchizedek can read faster than his screen refreshesmelchizedek can read faster than his screen refreshesmelchizedek can read faster than his screen refreshesmelchizedek can read faster than his screen refreshesmelchizedek can read faster than his screen refreshesmelchizedek can read faster than his screen refreshesmelchizedek can read faster than his screen refreshesmelchizedek can read faster than his screen refreshesmelchizedek can read faster than his screen refreshesmelchizedek can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: Kobo Touch
A friend of mine described Game of Thrones as 'fantasy for people who don't usually read fantasy'. I do read a little fantasy, and I kind of understand where she's coming from. It's really not that heavy on its fantasy elements.

I love the TV series, but find the books a little slow. I'm currently three quarters of my way through the second one, but am struggling to motivate myself to finish. Nothing much has happened since the first page.

Knowing that there are two overly long, rather boring volumes still to come, I kind of wish I'd never started the series. Mind you, I felt similarly midway through Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series.. and that's ending very strongly indeed. Maybe the same will be true of this series.
melchizedek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 10:52 AM   #21
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
I'm watching season 2 atm and becoming increasingly irritated. It's too slow and he piles on too many story-lines. Tell the story and get on with it. I read the first chapter of book one and it is well-written. I definitely won't be attempting to read it all. Life is too short and there are so many good books to read.

Ultimately, I believe a story has a beginning and an end. Too much muff in-between detracts.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 11:39 AM   #22
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
One question I have:

This is an American fantasy series, set in a completely fictional world. Why does everyone put on (sometimes rather bad) British accents? Has LOTR made people expect that all fantasy characters speak with British accents?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 11:47 AM   #23
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizla View Post
I'm watching season 2 atm and becoming increasingly irritated. It's too slow and he piles on too many story-lines.
In other words, it's faithful to the books. This is not a "get it over with in 5 minutes" thing - it's an "epic" with LOTS of plot lines.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 11:54 AM   #24
melchizedek
melchizedek can read faster than his screen refreshesmelchizedek can read faster than his screen refreshesmelchizedek can read faster than his screen refreshesmelchizedek can read faster than his screen refreshesmelchizedek can read faster than his screen refreshesmelchizedek can read faster than his screen refreshesmelchizedek can read faster than his screen refreshesmelchizedek can read faster than his screen refreshesmelchizedek can read faster than his screen refreshesmelchizedek can read faster than his screen refreshesmelchizedek can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: Kobo Touch
Yeah, Tyrion's accent it truly appalling. The reason everyone has English accents, I suspect, is because the whole thing is based upon English history. Although not following history exactly, the Lannisters roughly correspond to house Lancaster and the Starks to House York. There are some tips of the hat to the Saxons, Normans and Celts, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
One question I have:

This is an American fantasy series, set in a completely fictional world. Why does everyone put on (sometimes rather bad) British accents? Has LOTR made people expect that all fantasy characters speak with British accents?
melchizedek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 06:44 PM   #25
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
One question I have:
Harry, I hesitate to suggest it.......... but could it be the colonial yearning to return to the fold ?

I've also noticed the villians aren't all British on North American film and TV lately (even some British actors as heroes but speaking ... otherwise )

carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 08:10 PM   #26
AndrewH
Fanatic
AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AndrewH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, & Kobo Mini
Perhaps the producers think the audience would find modern American accents anachronistic in the medieval-esque setting?

I find fake accents annoying. I say either find actors with the requisite accent, or let them speak in their normal voice.
AndrewH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 11:18 PM   #27
tecweston
Comic book artist
tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tecweston ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight, iPad, iPhone
Yeah, the show takes place in a fantasy world based on medieval England. It would make no sense whatsoever for them to have American accents.
tecweston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 01:33 AM   #28
VaporPunk
Evangelist
VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 + Asus Transformer
Quote:
Originally Posted by melchizedek View Post
Yeah, Tyrion's accent it truly appalling. The reason everyone has English accents, I suspect, is because the whole thing is based upon English history. Although not following history exactly, the Lannisters roughly correspond to house Lancaster and the Starks to House York. There are some tips of the hat to the Saxons, Normans and Celts, too.
If you look at the map of Westeros and flip Dorne around (making it Cornwall, I think?) then southern Westeros looks a bit like England.

Narrow Sea = English Channel?
The Wall = Hadriens Wall?
The people beyond the wall = the Picts/Scots? (who, as every good Englishman knows, are crazy. )

Its not perfect but it matches too well to be a coinkidink...
VaporPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 03:10 AM   #29
AlexGrama
Writer
AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Nexus 7
I'm very fond of Jon Snow. He's ... different.
AlexGrama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 08:40 AM   #30
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexGrama View Post
I'm very fond of Jon Snow. He's ... different.
I think he's a bastard.
Spoiler:
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote