Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-22-2010, 05:09 PM   #31
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by questionfear View Post
You have to exit the book, go to the godawful library screen, hit menu, THEN change page settings. Have fun changing it on the fly!
Well, that takes care of the page turns (although I'm not sure it made it much faster). Definitely the slowest app I've used. The huge margins make it pretty much useless for me though.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 05:26 PM   #32
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by krischik View Post
Copy the files into the Kindle directory on the sd-card and hope Kindle won't crash afterwards. So newer your OS so better your chances.
The recent update to the Kindle app seems to have eliminated the crashing problem with sideloaded content.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-22-2010, 09:48 PM   #33
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie Leung View Post
Are you talking about sideloading onto an actual Kindle? I can do that. I want to know how to sideload onto the Kindle app, if it's possible.
It may be possible to sideload to the Kindle app on your iPad only if you jailbreak your iPad.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 09:52 PM   #34
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
It may be possible to sideload to the Kindle app on your iPad only if you jailbreak your iPad.
Thanks, JS. I wonder whether I could sideload on a Dell Streak.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 12:59 AM   #35
krischik
Addict
krischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheesekrischik can extract oil from cheese

Device: P990i, PRS 505
Quote:
Originally Posted by bwaldron View Post
The recent update to the Kindle app seems to have eliminated the crashing problem with sideloaded content.
You know, when an Android App crashes you get a notification in developers console:

Amazon probably just wanted to get rid of those.

Martin
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Appl Error Reports.png
Views:	687
Size:	29.1 KB
ID:	55593  
krischik is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-23-2010, 09:08 AM   #36
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Thanks, JS. I wonder whether I could sideload on a Dell Streak.
You should be able to. I've not heard of any android device that locks out access to the File system. You would just hook up your device to your PC and the storage will show up as an mass storage device.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 10:06 AM   #37
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
You should be able to. I've not heard of any android device that locks out access to the File system. You would just hook up your device to your PC and the storage will show up as an mass storage device.
Cool, thanks. Thinking about ditching my two-generations-old iPhone for a Streak.

Last edited by Maggie Leung; 07-23-2010 at 10:19 AM.
Old 07-23-2010, 10:58 AM   #38
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Cool, thanks. Thinking about ditching my two-generations-old iPhone for a Streak.
This is a real nice phone. I've only seen positive reviews on this product, and the specs are on par with the latest smartphone (e.g. Droid Incredible). And more durable than most of the other phones. (The Gorilla Glass demo always makes me cringe? ...link)

An on a personal note I really like the design, I can see this device replacing my much coveted Kindle (mainly for the portability), but being an AT&T exclusive it is not an option for me.

=X=
Old 07-23-2010, 11:10 AM   #39
Maggie Leung
Wizard

Quote:
This is a real nice phone. I've only seen positive reviews on this product, and the specs are on par with the latest smartphone (e.g. Droid Incredible). And more durable than most of the other phones. (The Gorilla Glass demo always makes me cringe? ...link)

An on a personal note I really like the design, I can see this device replacing my much coveted Kindle (mainly for the portability), but being an AT&T exclusive it is not an option for me.

=X=
I like what I've read about it, but am wondering whether I'd be left hanging if the firmware isn't upgraded or if Dell sees lackluster sales and ends up abandoning the Streak. I don't have a problem owning a phone no one else wants, lol, but I want to have support still. I'm also a bit wary of Android's more Wild West approach to development, which might leave me struggling with tech problems. I'm not technical, and I just want something that will work for my uses. I asked for sideloading directions here to gauge whether it might be too complicated for me.
Old 07-23-2010, 12:20 PM   #40
=X=
Wizard

You know..., you never know. I bought my wife the Droid Eris this Christmas when it first came out and in a few months the device was End of Life...Huh? It is also more risky when a company introduces a new product to the market, much like Dell's Streak. The phone is a cross between a phone, tablet, and eReader people are either going to take to it or reject it.

Dell has shown an earnest commitment to the streak, they have promised an upgrade to 2.2 by the end of summer; I'm wondering if part of their delay in releasing the product is due to them trying to get 2.2 ready for the US release. There is also rumors of a 7" and 10".

I am a techi and can tell you this, the Dell Streak has a techi appeal. This is one of the few phones out today that will continue to enjoy a long life based on the community support. ... There's already a web site called Dell Streak Hacks. Many of these mod/hacks are getting easier to apply.

Of course, if your on AT&T, you can upgrade to the iPhone 4 or go for the Samsung Galaxy S Captivate. Personally I think the Samsung Galaxy S line is probably the best phone on the market today. I can only imagine the Super AMOLED with it's dark black contrast will make a very nice reader.

=X=
Old 07-23-2010, 12:44 PM   #41
Maggie Leung
Wizard

Quote:
You know..., you never know. I bought my wife the Droid Eris this Christmas when it first came out and in a few months the device was End of Life...Huh? It is also more risky when a company introduces a new product to the market, much like Dell's Streak. The phone is a cross between a phone, tablet, and eReader people are either going to take to it or reject it.

Dell has shown an earnest commitment to the streak, they have promised an upgrade to 2.2 by the end of summer; I'm wondering if part of their delay in releasing the product is due to them trying to get 2.2 ready for the US release. There is also rumors of a 7" and 10".

I am a techi and can tell you this, the Dell Streak has a techi appeal. This is one of the few phones out today that will continue to enjoy a long life based on the community support. ... There's already a web site called Dell Streak Hacks. Many of these mod/hacks are getting easier to apply.

Of course, if your on AT&T, you can upgrade to the iPhone 4 or go for the Samsung Galaxy S Captivate. Personally I think the Samsung Galaxy S line is probably the best phone on the market today. I can only imagine the Super AMOLED with it's dark black contrast will make a very nice reader.

=X=
Thanks, that's helpful to know. For me, the Streak's main appeal is screen size for books and online news. I probably won't upgrade my phone otherwise. My main thing is reading. iPad is too big sometimes on the go, and iPhone is too small. I need a Goldilocks phone / tablet.
Old 07-25-2010, 07:21 AM   #42
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by krischik View Post
I leave you with the link I just got via Twitter:

http://www.appbrain.com/app/bn.ereader

For me as a European it is of course of no concern.
As an Australian, I just find it strange that Barnes & Noble seems to be stuck in the United States of America. Just me?
AprilHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 09:18 PM   #43
beartard
Minister of Linux
beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40beartard is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: nook, T-Mobile MyTouch 3G Slide
I had high hopes for this app. Here are some problems I hope BN fixes on the next version:

1. The app advertises 5MB (which is huge for a phone app) but actual installed size can be over 17MB (which is obscene for a phone app). Granted, those with rooted android devices won't care about this, but it's something that BN needs to optimize.

2. Sync with BN downloads works well. Unfortunately, even with an app this size, there's no store coded into it. The app sends you to a website to make purchases.

3. There is no "night mode" for reverse display.

4. Amazon touts their "whisper" sync feature, that remembers not only the books, but keeps track of where you are in the books. This should be easy for BN to implement in future nook updates as well as Android app updates.

Overall, it makes the kindle app look spectacular and makes me want to purchase books from the Borders app and sideload them to my nook.
beartard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2010, 01:00 PM   #44
Fred Zackel
Connoisseur
Fred Zackel is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Fred Zackel is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Fred Zackel is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Fred Zackel is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Fred Zackel is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Fred Zackel is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Fred Zackel is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Fred Zackel is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Fred Zackel is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Fred Zackel is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!Fred Zackel is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: none
Any word on PubIt, their entry for self-publishers?

Fred Zackel

author of
COCAINE & BLUE EYES
DINERELLA AFTER MIDNIGHT
CREEPIER THAN A WHOREHOUSE KISS
A DEATH IN KEY LARGO
&
MURDER IN WAIKIKI
available on Kindle and smashwords
Fred Zackel is offline   Reply With Quote