Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-19-2010, 03:21 PM   #1
DougFNJ
Avid Reader
DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature, 2TB iPad Pro 11”
Just got back from B&H Unboxing Photos Daily Edition

So I read here this morning B&H had the PRS-900 in stock. I put in my daily call to my local Sony Store to see if they had it 1st, they of course did not. So I called B&H to confirm they had it in stock, he confirmed there were 3 left. I asked if I went there could they hold it, he said he would. I figured I am 30 minutes from NYC, let me take the trip so I could definitely have it in my hands rather than the possibility of them running out.

Normally I wouldn't give details of a store purchase, but it was a really cool process over there. The store was HUGE, I went to the Computer section with my hold confirmation number. He tapped it into the system, told me to hold a moment, 2 minutes later, he opened something under his desk, and there it was. He printed out the purchase receipt and told me to go to the front to pay. I went to the cashier, paid, went to the pickup center, it was all bagged up and ready to go. I was in and out in 10 minutes.

So I just got into the office, and had a couple minutes to shoot some photos. Haven't had a chance to play with it yet, I will post more as the day goes on, particularly side by side shots with the PRS-600. In the meantime, here are the unboxing photos. One shot I will also include later was there is a larger box that includes the original package with the 900 and the hard case.

1st photo: Hard Case + Original packaging for Reader
2nd Photo Reader Box
3rd Photo Just opened box
4th Photo Contents
5th Photo Reader with Battery cover opened
6th Photo Just turned on the Reader
7th Photo Welcome screen
8th Photo Landscape photo 2 pages

Thanks for looking
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4288798908_1b34b1cf46.jpg
Views:	400
Size:	119.4 KB
ID:	43804   Click image for larger version

Name:	4288808038_752275dcb7.jpg
Views:	375
Size:	106.1 KB
ID:	43805   Click image for larger version

Name:	4288075007_b9ece352a9_o.jpg
Views:	389
Size:	22.1 KB
ID:	43806   Click image for larger version

Name:	4288076795_e07efb2117_o.jpg
Views:	411
Size:	22.5 KB
ID:	43807   Click image for larger version

Name:	4288093311_8a43b581cb.jpg
Views:	426
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	43808   Click image for larger version

Name:	4288099937_d3b886af40.jpg
Views:	439
Size:	107.5 KB
ID:	43809   Click image for larger version

Name:	4288105441_36a78cde87.jpg
Views:	448
Size:	123.3 KB
ID:	43810   Click image for larger version

Name:	4288118099_82ac7d982a.jpg
Views:	439
Size:	190.9 KB
ID:	43811  

Last edited by DougFNJ; 01-19-2010 at 03:23 PM.
DougFNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 03:29 PM   #2
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Thank you for the photos. Just seeing that space for a battery makes me jealous.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-19-2010, 03:31 PM   #3
kc5cychris
Connoisseur
kc5cychris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kc5cychris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kc5cychris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kc5cychris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kc5cychris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kc5cychris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kc5cychris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kc5cychris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kc5cychris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kc5cychris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kc5cychris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-600, PRS-900
Nice looking setup,
Look forward to hearing what you think of it performance
Chris
kc5cychris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 04:23 PM   #4
yessirrom
Connoisseur
yessirrom will become famous soon enoughyessirrom will become famous soon enoughyessirrom will become famous soon enoughyessirrom will become famous soon enoughyessirrom will become famous soon enoughyessirrom will become famous soon enough

Device: HTC HD2 and i-Pad
Glad to see you got one....
yessirrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 09:28 PM   #5
saltis
saltis began at the beginning.

Device: Sony daily 900
Congrats on your reader. I got mine from Best Buy 2 weeks ago with no hard case, oh well
saltis is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-19-2010, 09:33 PM   #6
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltis View Post
Congrats on your reader. I got mine from Best Buy 2 weeks ago with no hard case, oh well
Did you pay full price ($399.99)?
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 09:34 PM   #7
The-eBook-Reader
Groupie
The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.The-eBook-Reader is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: All
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltis View Post
I'd check into that if I were you. From what it says in the manual, I think Sony is required to include the hard case.

Page 15 of the manual:

Quote:
This Reader only meets the RF Exposure guidelines when used with the supplied cover accessory (PRSA-ZC9).
The-eBook-Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 10:42 PM   #8
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Forma
Hmm, I'm not sure that's entirely true, it's hard to say what the text means.

It seems strange that the FCC would allow the Reader to be even given certification if it violated the SAR limits without that case. It could also easily mean the case is the only one certified to not muck with their SAR numbers in a bad way.

Might be worth seeing if someone can dredge up the FCC certification on the PRS-900 and finding out what the measured SAR is.
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 11:06 PM   #9
chainring
Addict
chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650 (black), Kindle 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
Did you pay full price ($399.99)?
Two weeks ago, I doubt it was full price. That was, IIRC, around the time Best Buy was running it for $379 or thereabout.
chainring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 10:11 AM   #10
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chainring View Post
Two weeks ago, I doubt it was full price. That was, IIRC, around the time Best Buy was running it for $379 or thereabout.
Yes, it was $359.99. Interesting that they excluded the Case Logic hard case, but not surprising at that price point. Great for those who don't really need the case and saved a few bucks.

Edit: I didn't order from Best Buy but I recall visiting the site during the time they ran the discount. At that time I wasn't sure if I was getting the 600 or 900.

Last edited by SCION; 01-20-2010 at 11:19 AM.
Old 01-20-2010, 10:23 AM   #11
DougFNJ
Avid Reader
DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.DougFNJ is no ebook tyro.

As promised, here are photos of the original box, and how the case came bundled in it. I am guessing Best Buy sent the unit by itself? If they advertised the case, I would complain though....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	box.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	23.1 KB
ID:	43885   Click image for larger version

Name:	boxopen.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	28.1 KB
ID:	43886  
Old 01-20-2010, 10:28 AM   #12
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
So how do you like it? How is it at taking notes, both handwritten and on the virtual keyboard? How do PDFs look on it? Have you tried reading any graphic novels on it?

Inquiring minds want to know!
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2010, 10:29 AM   #13
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougFNJ View Post
I am guessing Best Buy sent the unit by itself? If they advertised the case, I would complain though....
They ran the discount with the same "What's Included" blurb on the full price units:

What's Included

* Sony Reader Daily Edition Digital Book
* Rechargeable lithium-ion battery
* Protective zipper case
* USB cable
* Soft cover
* AC charger
* Quick-start guide
Old 01-20-2010, 11:06 AM   #14
DougFNJ
Avid Reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
So how do you like it? How is it at taking notes, both handwritten and on the virtual keyboard? How do PDFs look on it? Have you tried reading any graphic novels on it?

Inquiring minds want to know!
So far I like it a lot, I did a little comparison review yesterday as well

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70457

Note taking is exactly the same experience as PRS-600, just mroe screen real estate, PDF's look great. I definitely need to download a graphic novel to see how it looks, I am thinking it should be great as I downloaded the NY Times yesterday and the photo rendering was fantastic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
They ran the discount with the same "What's Included" blurb on the full price units:

What's Included

* Sony Reader Daily Edition Digital Book
* Rechargeable lithium-ion battery
* Protective zipper case
* USB cable
* Soft cover
* AC charger
* Quick-start guide
I would call and find out why you didn't get it, you paid for it
Old 01-22-2010, 03:26 PM   #15
saltis
saltis began at the beginning.

Device: Sony daily 900
I did call them and they don't even have a hard case for 900, but overall i like this Sony reader. I wish 3G connection was not limited to just sony ebook store, but i hear they might do something about it for a fee.
saltis is offline   Reply With Quote