Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 10-24-2009, 02:32 PM   #31
phenomshel
ZCD BombShel
phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.phenomshel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, STB Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebarnmom View Post
I would REALLY like to know what the other choices were!

Hey lady - where have you been? We need to get together!
phenomshel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 02:52 PM   #32
rebarnmom
Wizard
rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-700 (traded in), Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by phenomshel View Post
Hey lady - where have you been? We need to get together!
I've been in my own little nook, busy selling things on eBay and Craigslist, so I don't become "barnlessmom". Husband has been jobless since June. But not without work! He's been going gangbusters working on the barn. I just hope we don't have to sell it when he's done. But 'tis better to sell it, than lose it.

(apologetically )

So sorry for the interruption. Now back to our regularly scheduled topic!
rebarnmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-24-2009, 11:20 PM   #33
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
...we had a topic?...

...oh, Oh, Yes! Our topic!

(But, uh, sorry about the job situation. Hope it's better soon!)

Okay, um... personally, I'm not sure how much I'd want to hear the names that didn't get chosen. In fact, for all I know "Dick" is in there... as well as a load of really stoopid synonyms for "Kindle"...
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 11:47 PM   #34
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
Okay, I think we're all in agreement here that Nook is a pretty silly name for an e-book reading device.
~Meh~...so not in agreement. Allow me to personally step back from your "we".

"Nook" is the best name I've ever come across for a liseuse/ereader/ebook device, and perfectly enscapulates a lot of how I feel about reading. That whole meaning of "A small corner, alcove, or recess, especially one in a large room" and "A hidden or secluded spot" is and all my life has been one of the most significant aspects and enjoyments about reading. My reading nook has generally been my bedroom, but I've always been drawn to creating a reading nook within a study, or a library, or just a secluded part of the house overlooking the garden and maybe a stream or pool. Mostly though my reading nook has been my book and my mind. There's a small part of me that wants to buy it purely based on the name.

All the other names (not the suggestions, I mean the existing devices' names) sound like crap to me, even my own "Iliad".

Cheers,
Marc

Last edited by montsnmags; 10-25-2009 at 12:09 AM.
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 01:00 AM   #35
markbot
Guru
markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite 2
Nook sounds too much like Nuke. the problem is that it is tough to get a trademark for something that actually describes the product in question. for example...a smartbook or ibook is just too similar to the actual function of the object in question. The Amazon "Kindle" however is not literally kindling, etc...which is why u can trademark Kindle for an ebook.

I like smartbook or smartreader or ibook though.

how about "eScroll" !!!! or iScroll

digireader
mobilereader
ireader
ereader
ebook
ibook
mbook
markbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-25-2009, 01:09 AM   #36
markbot
Guru
markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite 2
I like "smok"....a portmanteau of smart and book
markbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 02:03 AM   #37
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
I think it isn't too bad. Romance novel readers are a huge audience for ebooks.

If you say "nook ebook", it will sound like "nookie book". Very fitting.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 09:23 AM   #38
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by montsnmags View Post
~Meh~...so not in agreement.
Okay, it's been duly established that there are some of us who like the name. (That's right, I'm not marginalizing anyone around here.) That's okay... MR members have never all been in lock-step with each other.

I'm okay with your reasons for liking the name, as well. Keep 'em coming... if your reasons manage to make someone else okay with the name, that's okay, too.

All I know is, it's sure not working for me. Nor for more than few others.

I guess the reason I don't like "Nook" is because it describes a space, not a thing. Moreover, it is a space that many people never had, vis-a-vis a place to go to quietly and privately lose yourself in a book. People like me learned to read wherever we were, we didn't have established places for reading. I wouldn't call it an "elite" thing (I might if the device was called the "Study"), but it does suggest a designated space that I think a lot of people did not use, or even have, for reading.

The "Book Nook bookstore names" point is well-taken. But today, there are few used bookstores that serve to evoke that name to anyone... people having grown up in the last 20 years may never have seen or heard of that so-called bookstore, or even heard the phrase "book nook" used. In fact, most Americans will probably think of English muffins first...

So, I think the name will probably serve for people who are comfortable with the phrase... but I suspect those people are few these days, and not necessarily the audience B&N is hoping to lure with this device. A name that tied reading with more universal concepts would, IMO, have been better.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 09:42 AM   #39
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by phenomshel View Post
I think I'm the only person I know who likes the name they chose.
You're not alone. I like the name and think it's quite fitting. I suspect it will grow on people.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 09:50 AM   #40
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBoblo View Post
I think it isn't too bad. Romance novel readers are a huge audience for ebooks.

If you say "nook ebook", it will sound like "nookie book". Very fitting.
Hadn't thought of that, but you're right!
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 09:54 AM   #41
montsnmags
Grand Sorcerer
montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.montsnmags ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Jordan View Post
Okay, it's been duly established that there are some of us who like the name. (That's right, I'm not marginalizing anyone around here.) That's okay... MR members have never all been in lock-step with each other.

I'm okay with your reasons for liking the name, as well. Keep 'em coming... if your reasons manage to make someone else okay with the name, that's okay, too.
Phew! You know, knowing that you're "okay" with me not liking the name; that you're not personally using your authority to marginalise anyone; that you're "okay" with my reasons for liking the name...well, like I say...phew. I'm so glad. I don't know if I would have been able go on otherwise, Steve.

Quote:
All I know is, it's sure not working for me. Nor for more than few others.
Well, what you should probably do, in response to my subjective preference, is to (not?) marginalise my personal differing preference, possibly by conflating your own subjective preference into a reasoned argument as to why mine's a Bad (TM) name, and why B&N are Wrong (TM) to use it, so that, while your preference is justified by good business and marketing practice, the opinions of myself and an apparent minority of others are "okay" for us to have in our little corner, as long as we allow your inclusiveness to arrive concurrent with your well-reasoned dismissal of what you "wouldn't call an "elite" thing":

Oh, wait...you just did:

Quote:
I guess the reason I don't like "Nook" is because it describes a space, not a thing. Moreover, it is a space that many people never had, vis-a-vis a place to go to quietly and privately lose yourself in a book. People like me learned to read wherever we were, we didn't have established places for reading. I wouldn't call it an "elite" thing (I might if the device was called the "Study"), but it does suggest a designated space that I think a lot of people did not use, or even have, for reading.

The "Book Nook bookstore names" point is well-taken. But today, there are few used bookstores that serve to evoke that name to anyone... people having grown up in the last 20 years may never have seen or heard of that so-called bookstore, or even heard the phrase "book nook" used. In fact, most Americans will probably think of English muffins first...

So, I think the name will probably serve for people who are comfortable with the phrase... but I suspect those people are few these days, and not necessarily the audience B&N is hoping to lure with this device. A name that tied reading with more universal concepts would, IMO, have been better.
Odd how much fun you were having with this, until someone held a contrary opinion.

Cheers,
Marc (wondering how you missed that I've never owned a designated "reading nook", other than my brain and a book...which was kind of the point)

Last edited by montsnmags; 10-25-2009 at 10:14 AM.
montsnmags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 10:39 AM   #42
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
I seem to remember similar jokes about the Kindle when Amazon first announced it's name.

Beside's "book" and "nook" go together like a horse and carriage. Think of the countless bookstores, web pages and book review columns called "The Book Nook."
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 11:42 AM   #43
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by BenG View Post
I seem to remember similar jokes about the Kindle when Amazon first announced it's name.

Beside's "book" and "nook" go together like a horse and carriage. Think of the countless bookstores, web pages and book review columns called "The Book Nook."
Ben, you and monkey boy are both correct.

Unfortunately, the word (with an "ie" at the end) at least in this part of the world, has been bastardized to mean something entirely different.

The bedroom jokes will never stop.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 11:53 AM   #44
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
And as I indirectly mentioned in another thread...people who own and for some crazy reason love their Nook will be able to tell people:

Person A: Check this out...it's my Nuke!
Person B: Isn't it called "Nook"?
Person A: I pronounce it "Nuke"
Person B: Why?
Person A: It's the bomb!

Take that, Amazon marketing!
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 12:40 PM   #45
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertgrandma View Post
Ben, you and monkey boy are both correct.

Unfortunately, the word (with an "ie" at the end) at least in this part of the world, has been bastardized to mean something entirely different.

The bedroom jokes will never stop.
That doesn't bother me. I'll probably be making some of them.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
barnes and noble, e-book reader