Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 01-08-2021, 11:46 AM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ottischwenk View Post
But I'm not buying a listing, I'm buying a device.
And there they show what they have.
So see 8" screen and think oh, a Kobo Forma and then it's some other non-8" Reader. That's misleading.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 12:47 PM   #17
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox 4/14, Like-/Meebook 1/8, Tolino 1/10, Kobo 0/5, Kindle 0/3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
So see 8" screen and think oh, a Kobo Forma and then it's some other non-8" Reader. That's misleading.
When I click on 8 inch reader, I don't see a Kobo Forma and with 7 inch no Kobo Libra - what's the problem?
Then I can't buy a Kobo
ottischwenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-08-2021, 03:35 PM   #18
Anghirrim
Seeking for Graal
Anghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipse

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Here you can find sometimes cheaper devices.
I've already bought there and I'm very satisfied.
Well, no Aura One nor Inkpad 3. But thanks anyway!
Anghirrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 05:31 PM   #19
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anghirrim View Post
No Kindle for me..... I need an open reader. I don't want to have anything to deal with Amazon's ecosystem.
The Tolinos also have an inverse screen option (all except the first Shine model).

Last edited by rcentros; 01-08-2021 at 05:34 PM.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2021, 06:51 PM   #20
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
The specs say it is 7.8". Just accept that the site is probably meaning "Up to..." The complaint should be that this ereader (and it is an ereader) is in both the 7" and 8" groups. But, it's a fairly ugly and basic site, and not one I'm likely to buy from, so it doesn't worry me.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-09-2021, 01:31 AM   #21
ottischwenk
Wizard
ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottischwenk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
The specs say it is 7.8". Just accept that the site is probably meaning "Up to..." The complaint should be that this ereader (and it is an ereader) is in both the 7" and 8" groups. But, it's a fairly ugly and basic site, and not one I'm likely to buy from, so it doesn't worry me.
It is interesting for people from the EU to know this store - it offers very reasonable prices.
And because the purchase is from an EU country, the bought devices do not go through customs.

Last edited by ottischwenk; 01-09-2021 at 01:34 AM.
Old 01-09-2021, 03:21 AM   #22
Anghirrim
Seeking for Graal
Anghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipseAnghirrim can illuminate an eclipse

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
The Tolinos also have an inverse screen option (all except the first Shine model).
Funny, Tolino Epos 2 is a copy/paste of the Kobo Forma.

I had the chance to grab a Forma yesterday and test it out.

The weird shape choice is a no go for me. I'm a "bottom left corner" holder guy, and did not feel super good with the Forma in hands.
Old 01-09-2021, 03:21 AM   #23
Anghirrim
Seeking for Graal

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Agree with the Ugly comment.
Old 01-09-2021, 03:22 AM   #24
Anghirrim
Seeking for Graal

Quote:
It is interesting for people from the EU to know this store - it offers very reasonable prices.
And because the purchase is from an EU country, the bought devices do not go through customs.
Yep, anyway, thanks for letting me know this website. Was a good discovery, even if ugly.
Old 01-09-2021, 04:37 AM   #25
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anghirrim View Post
Funny, Tolino Epos 2 is a copy/paste of the Kobo Forma.
The Epos 2 is my favorite reader to use in bed.
Quote:
The weird shape choice is a no go for me. I'm a "bottom left corner" holder guy, and did not feel super good with the Forma in hands.
I only use it in two columns in reverse landscape format with the buttons below
Old 01-09-2021, 09:12 AM   #26
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
When I click on 8 inch reader, I don't see a Kobo Forma and with 7 inch no Kobo Libra - what's the problem?
Then I can't buy a Kobo
The Kobo Forma is the only 8" Reader is the Kobo Forma. So there is no reason to have an 8" section. It should be 7.8". Also, there are no 11" Readers so that should be 13.3". Whoever designed the site has no idea how to design a proper website.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2021, 10:23 AM   #27
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
The Kobo Forma is the only 8" Reader is the Kobo Forma. So there is no reason to have an 8" section.
This website is ancient and there was once the BOOX Onyx i86ML Plus - 8 inch E Ink Pearl Display e-Book Reader with Front Light.
And this fit right there.
I don't think that's a reason to change that - except that the site is ugly.
This shop has other qualities.
Old 01-13-2021, 12:37 PM   #28
Anghirrim
Seeking for Graal

Went for the Kobo Forma. The shop only had two in stock. First had that damn hard power button. Second was perfect. Lucky me.

Thanks all!!
Old 01-13-2021, 02:43 PM   #29
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
The Kobo Forma is the only 8" Reader is the Kobo Forma. So there is no reason to have an 8" section.
Odd. When I look at Tolino's site, the Epos 2 is listed at having an 8" Mobius display.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2021, 03:20 PM   #30
ottischwenk
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Odd. When I look at Tolino's site, the Epos 2 is listed at having an 8" Mobius display.
The Tolino Epos 2 is very similar to the Kobo Forma - except for the operating system and CPU
and designed by Rakuten-Kobo