Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Kindle Formats

Notices

Old 01-02-2012, 10:02 AM   #1
mrwout
mrwout began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Strange TOC problem

Hi,

I'm experiencing a rather strange problem with the TOC in one of my self-made .mobi books for my kindle: if i open the book on my kindle (or kindle previewer) the first time it opens as normal at the TOC and everything is nice and tidy as it should, when I browse a bit in my book or follow a link in the TOC and later return to the TOC the hierarchy (the different levels of the TOC) are flattened (they all appear to be at the same level).

I have constructed quite a lot of different books before but never have experienced this problem before. Might it be that the TOC is too big for .mobi to handle (because it is quite an elaborate one) ? or is there a known cause (and fix) for this problem ?

(The book was first constructed using Mobipocket Creator wich outputs it as a .prc file. This file DOES NOT have this problem. But then I use Calibre to convert it to .mobi, because it adds the useful section navigation marks. This last, converted, file is the one that is giving me these problems.)

Kind Regards.
mrwout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 07:18 AM   #2
DanBenton
DanBenton began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Hi

Are you using the reference/guide element in the OPF file? What Kindle shows when it first opens is often quite different to how it appears when you come back to the TOC. And do you mean the system TOC (the ncx file) or the TOC html page?

Thanks
Dan
www.craig-thrillers.com
DanBenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-19-2012, 05:22 AM   #3
mrwout
mrwout began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Hi

Thanks for your reply. You seem to be quite right. What it first shows are the first 'locations' of the book and what it shows when I go to the TOC are the last locations. That's really strange because it has never happened to me that these two look different...
But anyway thanks to your diagnose I was able to fix the problem So many thanks go to you.
mrwout is offline   Reply With Quote