Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-28-2011, 04:00 AM   #1
smiggles
smiggles began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Question for people with a Kindle 4

Hi,
I just received my new Kindle and was wondering whether your page turning buttons, in particular the forward ones, seem a bit loose compared to the Kindle Keyboard. Or is it just mine? I notice there's a bit of give with the forward buttons, like if I push it gentle, it moves a little without actually turning the page but it doesn't happen with the backward buttons.

Thanks

Last edited by smiggles; 10-28-2011 at 07:22 AM.
smiggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 07:21 AM   #2
patrickt
Wizard
patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.patrickt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4 X 2
My Kindle Keyboard had page-advance keys that were crunchy, especially the right one. I am mostly deaf and I can hear the right page-advance key crunching. My Kindle basic is silent and smooth.

Both my K3 and my Kindle Basic occasionally miss a page turn and require a second click but my K3 misses more often. Of course, it's also older.
patrickt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-28-2011, 02:23 PM   #3
Zeebra
Evangelist
Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zeebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by smiggles View Post
Hi,
I just received my new Kindle and was wondering whether your page turning buttons, in particular the forward ones, seem a bit loose compared to the Kindle Keyboard. Or is it just mine? I notice there's a bit of give with the forward buttons, like if I push it gentle, it moves a little without actually turning the page but it doesn't happen with the backward buttons.

Thanks
My forward and backward buttons are solid on my K4. They also don't make any noise like my old Kindle Keyboard did. I actually like the page turn buttons on my K4 much better than the Kindle keyboard.
Zeebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 03:12 PM   #4
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Mine are so stiff even if I go to turn the page it takes some effort specially on the right next page button. I like the K3 buttons better.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 09:17 PM   #5
jchkc123
jchkc123 began at the beginning.

Device: nook str
I never tried the keyboard model, but it might just be the unit you got. My K4 page buttons aren't loose at all.
On a slightly different note: I exchanged the K4 twice for different reasons, until I finally got a good one on my 3rd unit. The page turn buttons felt different in all 3. All buttons on my 1st unit were perfect-- quiet & smooth. The 2nd one, made loud clicky sounds and needed a harder push. My 3rd one that I have now, the forward buttons are perfect (quiet, easy to push), but the back buttons are a little "sticky" & harder to push. Kept it though bc the screen was much better than the previous 2 units.
jchkc123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-28-2011, 09:27 PM   #6
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchkc123 View Post
I never tried the keyboard model, but it might just be the unit you got. My K4 page buttons aren't loose at all.
On a slightly different note: I exchanged the K4 twice for different reasons, until I finally got a good one on my 3rd unit. The page turn buttons felt different in all 3. All buttons on my 1st unit were perfect-- quiet & smooth. The 2nd one, made loud clicky sounds and needed a harder push. My 3rd one that I have now, the forward buttons are perfect (quiet, easy to push), but the back buttons are a little "sticky" & harder to push. Kept it though bc the screen was much better than the previous 2 units.
Mine's the opposite. The forward buttons are sticky and hard to push and the back buttons are perfect.
Old 10-28-2011, 10:56 PM   #7
smiggles
smiggles began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Thanks for the feedback guys. Without another to compare it to, i don't know if I'm just being overly paranoid about it because i tend to be nitpicky about these kind of things. The way I hold my kindle, i've got my thumb resting on the turn buttons when I read and i guess it just bugs me that the buttons move a little if i move my thumb slightly. The actual pressure required to turn pages is the same for all buttons though.
smiggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 10:59 PM   #8
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by smiggles View Post
Thanks for the feedback guys. Without another to compare it to, i don't know if I'm just being overly paranoid about it because i tend to be nitpicky about these kind of things. The way I hold my kindle, i've got my thumb resting on the turn buttons when I read and i guess it just bugs me that the buttons move a little if i move my thumb slightly. The actual pressure required to turn pages is the same for all buttons though.
Oh I would love for mine do that! Mine slides out of my hand when I try to use my thumb because it's so stiff.
Old 10-30-2011, 03:05 AM   #9
S.S.
S.S. began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle, Sony PRS350
The right side forward button is looser than the others on mine, yes. Also my power button has gotten quite loose since I bought it a month ago. Oh well. As long it doesn't fall off. hah.

Quote:
Both my K3 and my Kindle Basic occasionally miss a page turn and require a second click but my K3 misses more often. Of course, it's also older.
I've noticed that too. It only seems to happen going backwards though. Weird. I remember my Kindle 3 doing the same thing too.
S.S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 06:07 PM   #10
Clawdia
Connoisseur
Clawdia is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle (K3, DXG)
I've got a 3 week old K3 where the left side forward page turn button feels a bit loose/wiggly. Several people on here have suggested I go ahead and exchange it while I can still get a replacement unit that's new. I think I'm going to do that tomorrow since I can't stop fretting about it getting worse or falling off, or having to be pressed more than once to turn a page. Of course, the button that doesn't feel right is the one I use most often - it's been like this since the day I got it.

The main reason I haven't already exchanged it is that I know I also tend to be a bit paranoid and nit-picky - hate for Amazon to get the unit back and think, 'what in the world is she talking about?'.
Clawdia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 03:53 PM   #11
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
I just had my first bad experience with Amazon customer service, and even then in the end they made it right. I got a new K4, plugged it into my computer, and got a connect-disconnect cycle over and over and over again. The CS lady had me try it with a different hub, two different cords, and a different computer, and kept having me try things even when I kept telling her that it was unacceptable to behave that way when my k3 behaved perfectly with the same setup. Ultimately they did agree to take it back and send me a new one.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 04:03 PM   #12
DustyDisks
Old Fart In Training
DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3+3g/KFHD 7"/Nexus 7/Nexus 7.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
I just had my first bad experience with Amazon customer service, and even then in the end they made it right. I got a new K4, plugged it into my computer, and got a connect-disconnect cycle over and over and over again. The CS lady had me try it with a different hub, two different cords, and a different computer, and kept having me try things even when I kept telling her that it was unacceptable to behave that way when my k3 behaved perfectly with the same setup. Ultimately they did agree to take it back and send me a new one.
She had a trouble shooting chart or list of things that you needed to follow, they do not know you, and there are a incredible number of ignoriant people out there. So she has to go down the list of potential fixes with you. Once the potential fixes have been gone through, and there is no joy on your end, is she allowed to issue you a replacement.

They are just trying to save on the cost of good units being returned, because of operator error.
DustyDisks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 07:16 PM   #13
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustyDisks View Post
She had a trouble shooting chart or list of things that you needed to follow, they do not know you, and there are a incredible number of ignoriant people out there. So she has to go down the list of potential fixes with you. Once the potential fixes have been gone through, and there is no joy on your end, is she allowed to issue you a replacement.

They are just trying to save on the cost of good units being returned, because of operator error.
When I returned my K4 I was walked through basic troubleshooting steps that I already did so I was a step a held of them. I understood though why he did it. He was just doing his job. Once he established it was a defective unit then I got my replacement.

I just emailed Amazon not Kindle support. I have cover I ordered that has been saying Shipping soon for 5 days and the money came out days ago so what's the hold up? Doesn't amazon only charge when they ship something? Last email I sent to support I never heard a peep back on. I hope this time is different.
Old 11-02-2011, 11:33 PM   #14
mcrow
Zealot
mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mcrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4/Kindle Fire HD/Kindle Fire HDX 7"
The buttons on my K4 are just about right. The wiggle room, and the pressure required seems about right.
mcrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 11:42 PM   #15
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrow View Post
The buttons on my K4 are just about right. The wiggle room, and the pressure required seems about right.
I wish mine were. It's funny the first thing I noticed about mine was the buttons seem loose than the first K4 it replaced but I was wrong. They are tough to push and some times when I hit the left next button I have to do it twice before it changes the page.