Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-02-2010, 12:49 PM   #16
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I figure if I save the books to my computer and the worse case scenario happens, I can strip the DRM then and put the books on my new e-reader. As long as they are on my computer, they cannot be removed by Amazon and I can access them to strip.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 02:33 PM   #17
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
I figure if I save the books to my computer and the worse case scenario happens, I can strip the DRM then and put the books on my new e-reader. As long as they are on my computer, they cannot be removed by Amazon and I can access them to strip.
This depends on the format respectively DRM scheme.
Some require you being able to process (= open) the files for being able to strip from DRM.
If, in the worst case scenario, suppliers might drop out of business, you may not have the respective applications anymore.
For example, you need a functioning ADE installation, to strip ePUB from DRM.
My philosophy: "Better safe than sorry" and "no harm, no foul". No one will ever know of my backup files on my external harddisk. But usually I make that backup asap.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-02-2010, 05:57 PM   #18
Man Eating Duck
Addict
Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Man Eating Duck juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Kobo Aura, Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
My philosophy: "Better safe than sorry" and "no harm, no foul". No one will ever know of my backup files on my external harddisk. But usually I make that backup asap.
I agree completely, this is sound advice. No matter which reader and format you choose, make sure that you keep non-encrypted backups. I'm pretty sure that even in 7-10 years it'll be *very* difficult to legitimately read a DRM'ed epub bought in 2010. It's simply not in the vendor's interest that you be able to do that, they'd prefer you to buy it again.

The epub format without DRM is of course completely standard zip + xhtml, which you will certainly be able to access and, more importantly, convert to a current format.
Man Eating Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 08:39 AM   #19
gymiang
gymiang began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thanks for all the advice! You guys are simply amazing. This DRM thingy is quite a pain, but at the same time so are pirates...
gymiang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 09:03 AM   #20
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Not true profcrash. If your computer's firewall is properly configured amazon and anyone else can delete anything from your PC. The only way to prevent Amazon from removing anything they feel like is to take the files you got from them, putting them on CD or memory stick and removing it from the PC. Isolated files can not be deleted by amazon, only problem is that it can not be accessed by you until you plug it into your PC and once you do Amazon can delete the file by remote.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
adobe digital edition, kindle