Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-27-2010, 06:22 PM   #1
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Dramatically improved start-up time!

Just thought that it was worth mentioning that the startup time of Calibre has dramatically improved for me going from around 3-5 minutes to less than 10 seconds with the move to 0.7.30 and then 0.7.31 on Windows 7 Pro. This is a huge improvement

I run with quite a large library (~11000 books) and have that located on a NAS so I am guessing that the change to caching cover information that is mentioned in the Release notes has done this. Thought that it was worth pointing out that in my environment the gain was much larger than I had expected from posts I had seen earlier in the forum.

Calibre generally feels snappier as well although that may be my imagination as I have not done scientific measurements elsewhere.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 06:26 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Glad to hear it.

It was for your use case that I made the change (networked storage and also inefficient file systems). Some calibre user with one of those tw did some profiling and found the cover checks to be taking a lot of time on his calibre library, so I decided to cache them.

Note that the first time you start calibre after upgrading you wont see any improvement, as the cache has to be built. But subsequent starts will be faster.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 06:38 PM   #3
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
The first time it happened I thought something had gone wrong

I had done the upgrade to 0.7.30 earlier today that I guess had created the cache. I then upgraded to 0.7.31 a short whiole ago as recommended for Windows users and noticed the great improvment.

I thought it was worth expressing my thanks for the improvement, and also to encourage others who have a similar use profile to make the upgrade to get the improvment for themselves.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 05:09 AM   #4
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Just to add some data: On my traveling laptop (XP pro, 1 GB mem, slow single-core processor, 4200 rpm disk), it used to take 55 seconds to open my library. It now takes 3.5 seconds. No NAS involved.

Note that I see almost no change on my desktop machine (win7 pro, 4 GB, fast 4-core processor, 7200 rpm disk); it went from 1.4 seconds to 1.2 seconds. I think this is due to having enough memory for windows to maintain a reasonably complete file name cache, but it could be a win7 vs XP thing, the cache on the disk itself, or (more likely) a combination of all of these.

Last edited by chaley; 11-29-2010 at 11:14 AM.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 10:53 AM   #5
chilady1
I devour books!
chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chilady1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, Kindle 3/Kobo Aura HD, iPhone 6
I agree - although my library is not as large as 11K (only 5k) I noticed a marked improvement in the time it takes Calibre to open up. Thanks Kovid!
chilady1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 11:03 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Good to hear. It's a great feeling to perform a successful performance optimization
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote