Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 05-28-2010, 09:00 PM   #1
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Questions from iPad first-timer

Hi everyone

Got my iPad today. Love it so far! Just a few reading questions:

1) I found a site with a slew of great free comic books on it. What app do I use to get them onto the iPad? I downloaded the Marvel Comics app but do not see a way to load your own stuff into it.

2) iTunes is crashing every time I try to load my own epub into iBooks. It gets nearly all the way there, then crashes. Any suggestions? Or any other apps I can use to load my own content?

3) I am thinking of getting Keynote so I can make storybook presentations for my students. If I make the presentation from on the iPad itself, how do I get it onto my computer later for backing up?

4) Is there a way to tell it to always open the iPod Touch apps in 'big' mode, or so I have to manually click the biggifier each time?

Thanks in advance for any assistance!
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 09:25 PM   #2
Tamara
Evangelist
Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
Hi everyone

1) I found a site with a slew of great free comic books on it. What app do I use to get them onto the iPad? I downloaded the Marvel Comics app but do not see a way to load your own stuff into it.
You may need to contact them and ask them what apps work with their comics.

Quote:
2) iTunes is crashing every time I try to load my own epub into iBooks. It gets nearly all the way there, then crashes. Any suggestions? Or any other apps I can use to load my own content?
It sounds like your epubs might have DRM. This can happen if the epubs come from Sony or B&N.

Quote:
4) Is there a way to tell it to always open the iPod Touch apps in 'big' mode, or so I have to manually click the biggifier each time?
Not at this time.
Tamara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 11:24 PM   #3
nikkie
Guru
nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40nikkie is slicker than a case of WD-40

Device: Android, Kindle Paperwhite, lots of ancient readers
Quote:
Hi everyone

If they are in CBR or CBZ format, you can use use Comic Zeal or CloudReaders. If they are PDF you can use GoodReader. It is pretty easy to make a cbz file if you just have a stack of pngs.

Quote:
3) I am thinking of getting Keynote so I can make storybook presentations for my students. If I make the presentation from on the iPad itself, how do I get it onto my computer later for backing up?
Email them to yourself. That's the only way I know of right now.
nikkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 11:39 PM   #4
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
keynote can export through itunes to keynote on a mac.
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 01:18 AM   #5
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Thank you. It turns out you cannot drag and drop directly onto the iPad for ebook, tey have to be in iTunes first and then transferred. When I took that extra step, it all worked. I appreciate the comic book recs. I am not sure I want to spend $8 but we'll see

The app store is a bit of a mess, isn't it? It used to have sub-categories so you could browse the whole thing (e.g. apps---games---board games) but no longer. It was a pain to try and find things.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 03:28 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Thank you. It turns out you cannot drag and drop directly onto the iPad for ebook, tey have to be in iTunes first and then transferred.
That's not my experience. I've put ePub books onto my iPad by doing a drag and drop directly from Windows Explorer onto the "Books" page of the iPad in iTunes.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 04:33 AM   #7
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
That's not my experience. I've put ePub books onto my iPad by doing a drag and drop directly from Windows Explorer onto the "Books" page of the iPad in iTunes.
Strange. For me it's the same as for ficbot. I put them in iTunes, they appear in "books" and only then I can drag them to iPad.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 04:55 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
To clarify - I can't drag directly to the iPad's "Books" icon in iTunes. I have to click that icon first, then drag from Windows Explorer to the "contents" portion of the window. Doing that works fine.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 01:52 PM   #9
Fotoman
Groupie
Fotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it is

Device: iPad 64GB wifi (Sony 505 RIP)
Quote:
... I appreciate the comic book recs. I am not sure I want to spend $8 but we'll see
Cloudreader is free and the page rendering of comic archives is every bit as good as in the pay apps. It's missing some bells and whistles such as the lack of a graphical library titles view but that's a minor inconvenience. Try that first before you start spending money on apps like Comic Zeal.
Fotoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 02:07 PM   #10
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
To clarify - I can't drag directly to the iPad's "Books" icon in iTunes. I have to click that icon first, then drag from Windows Explorer to the "contents" portion of the window. Doing that works fine.
That is odd. On the Mac, I can just drag any media (including ePubs) anywhere over the "LIBRARY" area of the sidebar in iTunes, and it will take it fine.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 02:08 PM   #11
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgmueller View Post
Strange. For me it's the same as for ficbot. I put them in iTunes, they appear in "books" and only then I can drag them to iPad.
How iTunes handles syncing depends on some settings-you might want to check out this:

How iTunes syncs to the iPad depends on some settings: http://www.pigsgourdsandwikis.com/20...d-quickly.html
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2010, 05:50 PM   #12
lilman
Addict
lilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle DX, iPad
Quote:
I appreciate the comic book recs. I am not sure I want to spend $8 but we'll see
If you are a casual comic reader then you should be fine with one of the free reeder apps (like Cloudreader). If you are a hardcore comic reader and want to keep a lot of comics on the iPad then the non-free comic reader apps are worth the money. I use ComicZeal everyday and absolutely love it. It includes a wifi syncing program that will process your comics for you, but I prefer to use my own processor: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=79004

Time to go read more Negima...
lilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 06:09 AM   #13
Sischa
Evangelist
Sischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it is

Device: Nokia 770, Ilead, Cybook G3, Kindle DX, Kindle 2, iPad, Kindle 3, PW
Quote:
Strange for me this is already working on my iPhone Apps that i am using on my iPad. (Some games like Monkey Island, Galaxy on fire, WOL etc.)
Sischa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2010, 05:50 PM   #14
rjfarrell
Zealot
rjfarrell doesn't litterrjfarrell doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505, Iphone, Ipad
I have a file on my desktop called Ebooks. I add files individually from that ebook folder to my itunes account. They then sync into ibooks. Really lovely process really.
rjfarrell is offline   Reply With Quote