Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 02-26-2015, 10:04 AM   #61
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
That was then. The full ceramic radio controlled solar modals are now around £1100.

Too much for me, despite the elegance of their design.
True, the new Junghans Force models clock in at €1200,= . Ouch. That's almost three times what I paid for mine, back in '99. They do look good, though...
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 03:03 PM   #62
ballfresno
Addict
ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (Sage, Aura One, Aura HD, & Touch); reMarkable tablet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by harriska2 View Post
My "dumb phone" only costs $3.33 a month with texting. No way am I spending $50 a month to have internet on the go just to have a cool watch.
There's no need to spend that kind of money. I spend £10 per month and that gives me unlimited data which is the key requirement for me.

The Pebble does function with the phone, as a watch with various watchfaces. It also functions as a bike computer with the phone even if the phone is not connected to the network (i.e. GPS).
ballfresno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 03:37 PM   #63
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ballfresno View Post
There's no need to spend that kind of money. I spend £10 per month and that gives me unlimited data which is the key requirement for me.
That's a very good price. Who's that with, if you don't mind me asking?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 12:55 PM   #64
ballfresno
Addict
ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ballfresno ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
That's a very good price. Who's that with, if you don't mind me asking?
Sure. I was with t-mobile, now EE, and soon to be BT (same company, just different ownership...). I have no idea if they still provide this tariff but Three have a £13 sim only plan with unlimited data and other bits.

The trick, as always, is to buy your phone separately!
Old 03-01-2015, 12:27 AM   #65
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
Quote:
Originally Posted by ballfresno View Post
Sure. I was with t-mobile, now EE, and soon to be BT (same company, just different ownership...). I have no idea if they still provide this tariff but Three have a £13 sim only plan with unlimited data and other bits.
Cheapest pricing on three seems to be £15 a month for unlimited data now actually.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 05:13 AM   #66
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
My watch of choice is a Casio G-Shock. Costco has them on sale for $30 every now and then.

My watch of choice is a Generation 1 Pebble. Though I suspect that will change soon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
My watch of choice at the moment is the Casio Waveceptor

Under £30 for a watch that's never more than a second off the actual time, as it resets from a standard radio signal every night.

It would be nice if it have a better display ands was thinner. There's a least 1mm (perhaps two) that could easily be shaved off by losing the gap between the cover and the LCD.

But the Pebble doesn't interest me. It's bad enough having to constantly charge my phone. I don't want to have to remember to charge my watch every week (or probably more often).
Most of the time I get exactly a week. It helps that I use a very basic watch face without a seconds hand or any fancy animation (the display, though not bistable, does have pixel memory). On occasion I've coaxed even more life out of it by toggling off the bluetooth as I go to bed.

True it's still minuscule for a watch, but it works for me because, as strange as it sounds, I personally have no interest in wearing a "watch". I stopped wearing them shortly after I got my first cell phone. There just wasn't enough of a benefit in my mind.

Last edited by Dylrob; 03-01-2015 at 05:19 AM.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 06:38 AM   #67
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylrob View Post
True it's still minuscule for a watch, but it works for me because, as strange as it sounds, I personally have no interest in wearing a "watch". I stopped wearing them shortly after I got my first cell phone. There just wasn't enough of a benefit in my mind.
I don't know how old you are, but I think this is largely a generational thing. I notice that an awful lot of young people today don't wear watches: like you, they rely on their phones.

I feel "lost" without a watch. On the rare occasions I forget to put my watch on in the morning I'm constantly glancing at my wrist and being annoyed to find my watch not there.
Old 03-01-2015, 08:43 AM   #68
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
I have to read this thread with a fair amount of amusement.
I grew up with mechanical watches that had to wound every couple of days.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 08:52 AM   #69
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phogg View Post
Yes, but would you want to go back to one now? Having had for many years a watch whose battery needs replacing only once every few years, I wouldn't.
Old 03-01-2015, 09:39 AM   #70
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I don't know how old you are, but I think this is largely a generational thing. I notice that an awful lot of young people today don't wear watches: like you, they rely on their phones.
I rely on my phone most of the time. The only time I wear a watch is when I head into the great outdoors where phone service is touch and go.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 11:40 AM   #71
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antartica View Post
About the display:

On reddit they concluded that it was this memory-in pixel color display from Japan Display

It's a pity that they are only available in very small sizes; a big one would be perfect for reading comics (sigh).
The resolution doesn't match.

But those screens do use tech very similar to the Sharp screens which we know for a fact are used in the grayscale Pebbles, so it's possible.

And those screens could be available at larger sizes, it's just that no device maker wants to buy them.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 04:16 PM   #72
ballfresno
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phogg View Post
As did I but now I have a watch that needs recharging every couple of days
Old 03-01-2015, 04:36 PM   #73
Antartica
Evangelist
Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Antartica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: quaderno, remarkable2, yotaphone2, prs950, iliad, onhandpc, newton
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
The resolution doesn't match.

But those screens do use tech very similar to the Sharp screens which we know for a fact are used in the grayscale Pebbles, so it's possible.
I agree there are lot of problems with that theory, but they are the displays with specifications that more closely match the announced specs of the pebble time (epaper display, 64 colors).

AFAICT, the problems are
(1) the resolution: "By the way, the resolution has not changed (144x168)"; the displays of JDI have more resolution (205x140 or 180x180). This means that they would have to order them custom-made, or would not expose/use all the pixels.

(2) the dpi: 182 in the JDI displays versus 175ppi in the original pebble. They don't match, though they are quite similar.

OTOH, it seems that garmin has some watches using those displays: garmin fenix3 (the round display) and garmin epix (the rectangular display). The only interesting tidbit is that the garmin epix (pdf) is using a 205x148 display, that is different that the one that JDI announced, so maybe they are able to manufacture at multiple resolutions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
And those screens could be available at larger sizes, it's just that no device maker wants to buy them.
I know, there are a lot of reasons that technology used on small displays may not be that great on big displays: pricey, hard to manufacture without bad pixels, maybe on bigger sizes the power consumption is not that great.. but at least on paper they seem a better match than regular lcd displays for reading, so one can wish.
Antartica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2015, 09:06 PM   #74
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antartica View Post
I agree there are lot of problems with that theory, but they are the displays with specifications that more closely match the announced specs of the pebble time (epaper display, 64 colors).

AFAICT, the problems are
(1) the resolution: "By the way, the resolution has not changed (144x168)"; the displays of JDI have more resolution (205x140 or 180x180). This means that they would have to order them custom-made, or would not expose/use all the pixels.

(2) the dpi: 182 in the JDI displays versus 175ppi in the original pebble. They don't match, though they are quite similar.

OTOH, it seems that garmin has some watches using those displays: garmin fenix3 (the round display) and garmin epix (the rectangular display). The only interesting tidbit is that the garmin epix (pdf) is using a 205x148 display, that is different that the one that JDI announced, so maybe they are able to manufacture at multiple resolutions.
Garmin is using JDI screens, yes. I didn't know they were using a custom size, though, just the one mentioned in the press release. That increases the chance that the new pTime is using a JDI screen. Agreed.

Sidenote: Am I the only one who wishes Pebble would just come out and tell us?
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 12:44 AM   #75
Andy_T
Evangelist
Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andy_T ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod touch, iPhone, iPad, Kindle KB, NT, Fire, PW II
Amazing!

Looks as ugly and chunky as my old Garmin Forerunner 310XT, without having the benefit of GPS tracking.

But then, I'm that guy who stopped wearing wristwatches (even my nice 50's IWC and 60's Omegas) since I anyway had to carry a mobile phone with me, some decades ago.
Andy_T is offline   Reply With Quote