Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 03-20-2008, 03:36 AM   #1
lovebeta
Groupie
lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2, Amazon Kindle, Sony PRS-505
Bezos apologized for Kindle delays

Right at the frontpage of Amazon.com

I think the letter is pretty hollow though.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gateway_jeff_final._V9648910_.jpg
Views:	517
Size:	228.7 KB
ID:	11626  
lovebeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 03:45 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebeta View Post
Right at the frontpage of Amazon.com

I think the letter is pretty hollow though.
What do you expect him to do? The delay isn't Amazon's fault - it's down to the limited manufacturing capacity of the screen manufacturer, PVI in Taiwan.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 07:52 AM   #3
jacksonunit
Sand Bender
jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.

Device: Kindle1/iPhone/iPad/Droid/KindleDX/Kindle 3G/Kindle Touch/Kindle Fire
I guess my experience is not the norm but I got mine in EXACTLY two weeks from the time I clicked "Agree".

I put in a reservation for a Smart ForTwo car last September and the company has been selling them to people without reservations since January!

I don't buy the "creating buzz" theory. I really do think this is a supply side problem caused by using speculation on foriegn supplied parts. It will clear up soon.

The earth is flat, but there are so many bumps it makes it hard to tell.
jacksonunit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 08:20 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacksonunit View Post
I don't buy the "creating buzz" theory. I really do think this is a supply side problem caused by using speculation on foriegn supplied parts. It will clear up soon.
All the parts of the Kindle are "foreign supplied". Like all the eInk devices, it's manufactured in Taiwan or China.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 11:58 AM   #5
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
I put in a reservation for a Smart ForTwo car last September and the company has been selling them to people without reservations since January!
And on their site they are still taking reservations. I was thinking of getting one, but waiting till the mortage is paid off first.

Now, my new target is an air car from ZeroPolutionMotors... it is said to be expected for 2010, which is about when my mortage should be gone.

(I have vowed they my next car with use/support an alternate fuel or get over 50MGP... so I have high hopes for the 100mph (or more) air car.)

BOb

PS: Sorry off topic.
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 12:00 PM   #6
KlondikeGeoff
Wombat Aficionado
KlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enough

Device: Fire, Kindle1, Sony PRS-500 Reader, Rocket 1100 eBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
All the parts of the Kindle are "foreign supplied".
Ah, ha! That explains the stupid placement of the on/off and wireless switches being on the back.
KlondikeGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 12:25 PM   #7
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by KlondikeGeoff View Post
Ah, ha! That explains the stupid placement of the on/off and wireless switches being on the back.
I can assure you that we "Americans" are quite capable of putting things in stupid places too. Some of the light switches in various places I've lived are prime examples, and I don't think we're importing houses quite yet.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 01:30 PM   #8
jacksonunit
Sand Bender
jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.jacksonunit turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.

Device: Kindle1/iPhone/iPad/Droid/KindleDX/Kindle 3G/Kindle Touch/Kindle Fire
My house was imported from Middle Earth so all the light switches are operated by magic.
jacksonunit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 02:45 PM   #9
KlondikeGeoff
Wombat Aficionado
KlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enough

Device: Fire, Kindle1, Sony PRS-500 Reader, Rocket 1100 eBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
I can assure you that we "Americans" are quite capable of putting things in stupid places too. Some of the light switches in various places I've lived are prime examples, and I don't think we're importing houses quite yet.
You're right, of course. For years and years, the power switch on computers and printers was on the back too. However, somebody finally learned (excepting Amazon.)
KlondikeGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 03:52 PM   #10
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
My house was imported from Middle Earth so all the light switches are operated by magic.
Flown in on magic carpets, I s'pose?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KlondikeGeoff View Post
You're right, of course. For years and years, the power switch on computers and printers was on the back too. However, somebody finally learned (excepting Amazon.)
The one that still gets me when I think about it (though I'm used to it now and usually don't) is the power symbols on power switches: On is a line and off is a circle.

I suppose that made sense to whoever came up with it and implemented it, but from an electronic/electrical perspective, it's backwards. The circle, being a closed figure, is more representative of a circuit that's on -- they call them circuits because they only work when they're "closed." Whereas the line is more like a circuit when it's off because the ends aren't touching and it's an open figure, just like a circuit when it's off is "open."

So if you know anything about circuits and try to decide based solely on the symbols themselves which is which, you're going to arrive at a conclusion that is simple, logical and wrong.

Since most of the world either doesn't know enough about circuits, or doesn't think things through like that ... or some combination of the two, and we've all gotten used to it over the last ten years or so since they started using it, it works well enough. That is, as long as malcontents like myself don't get reminded of how it's all backwards and work themselves into a froth over it yet again.
Old 03-20-2008, 04:09 PM   #11
NatCh
Gizmologist

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Now, my new target is an air car from ZeroPollutionMotors... it is said to be expected for 2010, which is about when my mortage should be gone.
Those are very interesting, and promising, actually.

I didn't really get what they were doing until I watched the videos, though. The Discovery Channel narrator made a bone-headed comment about one day maybe the air that runs the motor that runs the compressor that compresses the air will get us true perpetual motion. It's interesting that a guy who works with the Discovery Channel would know the word but not know such a comment would open him to ridicule.

Maybe it was an artifact of the writer's strike, I've noticed some other really bad comments in other things like that lately.
Old 03-20-2008, 04:37 PM   #12
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:

The one that still gets me when I think about it (though I'm used to it now and usually don't) is the power symbols on power switches: On is a line and off is a circle.
Actually, one symbol is zero and the other symbol is one. Power (on and off) is a binary state, so someone decided to use a binary symbol.

I've seen it for I don't know how long, but I didn't figure out what they meant until early 2007.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 04:39 PM   #13
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Flown in on magic carpets, I s'pose?

I suppose that made sense to whoever came up with it and implemented it, but from an electronic/electrical perspective, it's backwards. The circle, being a closed figure, is more representative of a circuit that's on -- they call them circuits because they only work when they're "closed." Whereas the line is more like a circuit when it's off because the ends aren't touching and it's an open figure, just like a circuit when it's off is "open."
Well, it is not really a line and a circle. This is the digital age and it is a 1 and a 0. 1 is on while 0 is off.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 04:40 PM   #14
Oh, Why Not?
Groupie
Oh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blueOh, Why Not? can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Galaxy Note 2; KindleFireHDX
And here I thought it was the machine making a rude gesture at me for my clumsiness with buttons.
Oh, Why Not? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 05:20 PM   #15
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oh, Why Not? View Post
And here I thought it was the machine making a rude gesture at me for my clumsiness with buttons.
When a computer only uses 1's and 0's it might be difficult to imagine how it would make a rude gesture but now I have a picture.
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote