Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 07-14-2010, 08:55 PM   #1
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Macworld: Apple to hold iPhone 4 Press Conference

http://www.macworld.com/article/1527...c=twt_macworld

Quote:
On Wednesday afternoon Apple invited several journalists, including one from Macworld, to its Cupertino campus on Friday for a "press conference about iPhone 4." Presumably the company will use the event to publicly address all the controversy swirling around this product, most notably reports of antenna interference issues.
Old 07-14-2010, 09:23 PM   #2
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
What Apple should say: We've been jerk wads and we're very sorry. Free bumpers for everyone.

Last edited by Maggie Leung; 07-14-2010 at 09:31 PM.
Old 07-14-2010, 09:31 PM   #3
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie Leung View Post
What Apple should say: We've been jerk wads and we're very sorry. Free bumpers for everyone.
*tosses bumpers to the crowd*
Old 07-14-2010, 09:49 PM   #4
junkyardwillie
Addict
junkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enoughjunkyardwillie will become famous soon enough

Device: Onyx Note Pro, Kobo H20 and iPad
Steve Jobs dares someone to tell him they don't like the iPhone 4 to his face
Old 07-14-2010, 10:56 PM   #5
kjk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie Leung View Post
Man, can you imagine being a 3rd party case company if that happens?
Old 07-14-2010, 10:59 PM   #6
kjk

Some fun tweets speculating what is coming:
Jason Snell, Macworld:
Quote:
My fear is they will trot out some experts to explain to us why all the reports are wrong. My hope is it'll be a mea culpa.
Old 07-14-2010, 11:07 PM   #7
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
Man, can you imagine being a 3rd party case company if that happens?
can't imagine much. some people like the bumpers. some don't. some will be glad for a free one, some will happily purchase a case of their choosing.

Quote:
My fear is they will trot out some experts to explain to us why all the reports are wrong. My hope is it'll be a mea culpa.
i have to agree with this. if they do get some expert to say "nothing to see here, move along" it will turn me off to apple products forever.
Old 07-14-2010, 11:10 PM   #8
kjk

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjl View Post
can't imagine much. some people like the bumpers. some don't. some will be glad for a free one, some will happily purchase a case of their choosing.
Tough to compete with free though.

Quote:
i have to agree with this. if they do get some expert to say "nothing to see here, move along" it will turn me off to apple products forever.
Josh Topolosky of Engadget suggested it may be one big rickroll
Old 07-14-2010, 11:56 PM   #9
kjk

from a commentor on Mac Rumors forum (via @gruber, who thinks this is probably close)
http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost...&postcount=376

(most twitterers think free bumpers, not a gift certificate)

Last edited by kjk; 07-15-2010 at 12:33 AM.
Old 07-15-2010, 12:38 AM   #10
kjk

http://blogs.consumerreports.org/ele...quick-fix.html

Quote:
With the Bumper fitted, we repeated the test procedure, placing a finger on the Bumper at the point at which it covers the gap below. The result was a negligible drop in signal strength—so slight that it would not have any effect, in our judgment.
So Apple may have to:
1) Offer free bumpers to current and future buyers
2) Recalibrate the signal bars as noted in the iOS4.1 beta
and most importantly:
3) Offer the 30 day money back guarantee with no restocking fee for anyone who already bought one, and doesn't like the bumper "fix" idea or the "calibration" fix.

For those of you who own an iPhone 4-would that satisfy your needs?

(My wife had already picked out two bumpers, green and pink, to go with her future white iPhone...so none of this made much difference to her )

Last edited by kjk; 07-15-2010 at 12:42 AM.
Old 07-15-2010, 01:00 AM   #11
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
she assumes they'll give you a choice in color. lol.

my guess. free black bumpers for everyone to make the issue go away. and the next iPhone will have it's antenna on the inside.

if they give me a free bumper will i be happy? yes, more for apple fessing up and doing the right thing (finally) than over the fix. I'm not impressed with the bumpers. still looking for a decent case I like. my iPhone is wrapped in a skin from bestskinsever but it didn't make the problem go away. this is the first iPhone I will have no choice but to put it in a case.
Old 07-15-2010, 01:06 AM   #12
VictoriaP
Addict
VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VictoriaP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2; Kindle Touch; Kindle 2; iPad Mini; iPad1
Well, they can refund me the price of the bumper I already bought, I suppose. I'm certainly not going to reject the offer.

But personally, I'd like to see what another MacRumors poster stated. In a nutshell, "we've already implemented a fix on phones produced after a certain date" (most likely a coating On the antenna and possibly something that addressed the proximity issue so many are also having.) "Phones with serial numbers falling within X range may be affected, and owners can choose to have them exchanged or to take this fabulous free bumper, blah blah blah." (wording mine, I'm too lazy tonight to go find the original!)

For the record, I have a week 28 phone, in a bumper, in a strong signal area, and without most of the major issues others have experienced, so I'm not directly affected phone-wise by the issue. I am, however, a shareholder, and at this point, I think Apple's reputation will continue to take a big hit until/unless they address this directly and forcefully. Their response so far is pitiful, and a beautiful example of what not to do in a PR crisis.

It'll be interesting, that's for sure!
Old 07-15-2010, 02:01 AM   #13
petermillard
Evangelist
petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petermillard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, iPhone, K3 & Amazon - between them they cover my needs.
If they offer free bumpers I bet it'll only be in one 'unique' colour - just so's everyone knows you got it for free...
Old 07-15-2010, 11:34 AM   #14
kjk

http://appadvice.com/appnn/2010/07/a...ecall-verizon/

Quote:
Last but not least, one school of thought believes that Apple really does only invite press to announce things. As Dan Rubin tweeted last night:

“$10 says Friday’s Apple press conference is the announcement about Verizon, to — in the words of Don Draper — change the conversation.”
Old 07-16-2010, 01:30 PM   #15
kjk

http://www.macworld.com/article/1527...7/iphone4.html

Free cases for everyone! If you bought one already, they'll refund it.
Choice of cases as well, they don't have enough Apple ones.

Full refund of iPhone 4, 30 days AFTER you get a case, if you still aren't happy.
Closed Thread