Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 04-06-2010, 05:14 PM   #1
osirisomeomi
osirisomeomi began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-600
Metadata Nightmare (Sony 600)

Hey,

I have a strange issue that I'm hoping calibre can help with. I have a large number of ebooks (thousands, free and legally so), many of which have screwed up metadata. they are sorted into folders by author and their names are the names of the books. For example:

C/XXXXXX/Alexandre Dumas/Three Musketeers.pdf

But the metadata is incomplete or nonexistent. The files on the Sony Reader look like random symbols half the time, like C:XXXX$%1# etc. It makes finding the book I want to read or browsing through books a nightmare.

I was wondering if there was an automated way to make the title of the file be the name of the book in metadata, and the folder it is in the name of the author, as doing it all manually would take me forever.
osirisomeomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2010, 05:25 PM   #2
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
I think you're looking for "Read metadata only from file name" in Preferences | Add/Save.

The exact details might need to come from a guru gooier than I, because regexes scare me.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-06-2010, 06:56 PM   #3
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
I sounds like most of those are just plain pdf files of public domain (free) books. Why not just download those books in a format that is sized and named correctly for your Sony?

MR has thousands of free public domain ebooks ---> ( Sony lrf - BBeB) and in ePub format , as does feedbooks, manybooks, and Project Gutenberg.

From HarryT's D'Artagnan Romances ePub download page on MR.
Quote:
What some people may be unaware of is that The Three Musketeers is merely the first (small) part of a set of three books called, as a whole, the D'Artagnan Romances, which collectively tell the life story of D'Artagnan, who appears as a young man in The Three Musketeers.
A single ePub version ( Dumas, Alexandre, père: The Three Musketeers ) by MR member llasram.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote