Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-26-2013, 05:07 PM   #586
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanthe View Post
Just added a few more completed to my list, made it to 114 and will probably finish a couple more before the end of the years since I'll be home. I didn't do as many audiobooks this year. I normally listen to them in the car, but for some reason, music was holding my interest there this year.
I think I will finish my current read but that is it for this year. I am looking forward to next year already for the most part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanthe View Post
I'm reading Michael R. Hick's series "In Her Name" now, which Fantastic Fiction describes as "epic futuristic fantasy trilogy", though the series now seems to be up to six books.
Thanks for the mini-review of this one, I have had it in my TBR for a long time after getting the first 1 or 2 free last year, but never got around to starting it. I may move it up the list a bit because of this.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 07:28 AM   #587
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Exclamation 2014 Annual Reading Threads!

The 2014 Annual Reading threads are now up!

Here is were we can disscuss our goals: The 2014 Annual Reading Challenge Discussion Thread!

Here is where we can list what we've read: The 2014 Annual Reading Challenge List Thread!

Hope to see you all there!
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-27-2013, 08:35 AM   #588
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
This thread will stay open briefly, so that members may re-cap their 2013 reading.

Don
(Moderator)

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 12-27-2013 at 10:09 AM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 11:11 AM   #589
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
I have 2 books left. This looks like it just might happen!
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 11:40 AM   #590
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
This thread will stay open briefly, so that members may re-cap their 2013 reading.

Don
(Moderator)
Thank you!

Do you think we can keep it until the 30th, at least?
Advert
Old 12-27-2013, 11:59 AM   #591
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
The 2014 Annual Reading threads are now up!

Here is were we can discuss our goals: The 2014 Annual Reading Challenge Discussion Thread!

Here is where we can list what we've read: The 2014 Annual Reading Challenge List Thread!

Hope to see you all there!
Thank you Nyssa! We appreciate all of the work you have put into keeping this going and keeping things organized.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 01:28 PM   #592
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
I think it best to keep this thread, and the 2013 list thread, open for a week into the new year, to allow people to update with final totals and comments.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 03:41 PM   #593
BelleZora
Wizard
BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Libra 2
I met my goal of books read, but failed to read all the MR book club selections. I did manage most of them.
BelleZora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 05:13 PM   #594
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
It's a very mixed bag for me.

I had five challenges and a benchmark of 100 books as I tend to hit that level easily. Not this year; I'll barely make it and will have to slot in something short/quick at that. As for my main challenges, I've met three, but will fail colossally at two of them. However, I take several lessons from my failures.
First, my challenges were non-fiction heavy. I thought I might be biting off more than was chewable and I was right. I love non-fiction but it wasn't realistic, given how tired I am weeknight evenings, when I can't always give more difficult works the concentration they require.

Also, I ended up reading too many books at once, which created a feeling of being swamped that was non-productive. I like to have several books going, but at times I was up to seven (I'm at six now, alas).

Another issue was getting bogged down in one particular book, for example a turgid biography of Cromwell by Antonia Fraser (which I picked because I thought it would be Cromwell-light!). I didn't abandon it as the information was there, but it pretty much torpedoed my 17th century challenge. I didn’t want to start another on-topic book before I finished it, but that one dragged on and on.

So! This is what I’ve learned. I need to make my limited reading time more productive and try to get my numbers back up. I don't watch tv or game, but I do tend to read with a tablet at hand. I read something and want to look up background info or verify something, that leads to checking something else and maybe a third thing and while I’m online I might as well dip into my email and fora…. Half an hour or more later, I’m back to my book and there goes the evening. So I will leave tablet thingies across the room. If the looking-up isn’t pressing enough to get up and retrieve a device, it can wait.

I also will try to read no more than three books at once with a solid limit at four (to provide leeway for book clubs and library items). I’ll use a three bears method: one hard book (serious non-fiction), one medium book (memoir, travel, litfic) and one light book; I’ll read the most difficult I’m up for. And while I’m good at abandoning lousy books, I need to be more proactive about backburnering books that are dragging me down, even if they’re worthwhile.

Finally, I need to have no more than three goals; five was too many to juggle mentally. I’ll divide the goals on a monthly basis so it’s easy to track. I also need to have a more realistic ratio of light to heavy reading, so there’s always something I can read as part of my goals, even if I’m tired or on the hoof. What does work for me is a benchmark of 100 books with half devoted to goals and half to free reads, so I’ll continue that. (I also don’t mind if I fudge the individual goal numbers a bit, so long as I hit the 50 mark in toto.)

I read many outstanding books in 2013, but by tightening my focus a bit I hope to avoid the lulls where nothing really appeals.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 06:47 PM   #595
Polarpenguin
Groupie
Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polarpenguin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-300, Sony PRS- T3S, Kobo aura H2O Kobo aura One Kobo libra
Not gonna quite make it either. Will probably, manage to squeeze one more in before the end of the year.
Have caught up on a couple of series though so that's a bonus.
Polarpenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 07:27 AM   #596
Waylander
Fanatic
Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Waylander ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 5 SE, Onyx Boox Poke 3
I read the most books I think I have ever read this year, at 135. This is nothing compared to some of the heavyweights around the sight, but I'm pleased with the total. I may squeeze in one more before the end of the year, but am doubtful whether I will manage it or not. I read some really good books this year, and am really pleased with the results.
Waylander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 08:28 AM   #597
Rev. Bob
Wizard
Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rev. Bob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, iPad mini 3, Kindle Touch
Snipping a bit for topic...

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I like to have several books going, but at times I was up to seven (I'm at six now, alas).

Another issue was getting bogged down in one particular book,

I also will try to read no more than three books at once with a solid limit at four (to provide leeway for book clubs and library items).
I used to read several books in parallel, but those days are mostly behind me. I did have one very dense book that took me about a year to get through; I pretty much set it down halfway through and picked it back up much later - but it was still on my "currently reading" shelf all that time.

These days, I generally read one book at a time, although I'll sometimes put an ebook down to zip through a graphic novel. Similarly, I have a monthly book club meeting, and I don't like to bring a physical book to it - so if I'm reading one, I'll set it aside in favor of an ebook for that purpose. I have a nonfiction ebook I've been meaning to get to that might be perfect for that, come to think of it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird
Finally, I need to have no more than three goals; five was too many to juggle mentally. I’ll divide the goals on a monthly basis so it’s easy to track.
I solved that problem by picking books for a challenge that will achieve multiple personal goals at once. Even at the upper edge, that challenge accounts for only 24 books out of an expected goal of 130-150 for the year, so it shouldn't weigh on me too heavily. (I still haven't decided on my total goal for 2014 - if I yield to temptation and tackle a writing project, I most likely won't make 150. OTOH, if I succumb to sloth and don't attempt that project, 130 is a pretty low count for me.)
Rev. Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 04:12 PM   #598
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
I finished my challenge!!! I'm so happy about this, in mid-November it was looking a little bleak.

Some interesting (to me) stats:
I read 150 books in 2013 (probably 151 by the end) and 193 books in 2012.
Average pages/book in 2013 was 422, and in 2012 it was 333.
I read 1000 more pages in 2012.
Improving the "quality" of my reading slowed me down a little, but rewarded me with some new favourite authors.
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 04:18 PM   #599
Nyssa
Series Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by treadlightly View Post
I finished my challenge!!! I'm so happy about this, in mid-November it was looking a little bleak.

Improving the "quality" of my reading slowed me down a little, but rewarded me with some new favourite authors.
Congratulations!
Old 12-28-2013, 04:34 PM   #600
BelleZora
Wizard
BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by treadlightly View Post

Impressive!
BelleZora is offline   Reply With Quote