Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 02-27-2015, 12:10 PM   #1
Mooninite1
Mooninite1 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Converting Word Doc to ePUb- FOOTNOTES

Hello all,

So I have a book saved as a word document, is it possible to convert the book to ePub without losing the footnotes?

My current method is to first save the word document as a HTML file, then go into Calibre for ePub conversion.

As soon as the file is converted to HTML the footnotes are lost. Is there another way?

The pictures are also lost when converting from HTML to ePub, but that is a different story.

thanks
Mooninite1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 02:16 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Please use the forums correctly. Questions about creating ePub books belong in the ePub forum.

Thank you.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-27-2015, 02:20 PM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Have you tried converting the Word ".docx" file direct to ePub in Calibre? That should preserve your footnotes.
Old 02-27-2015, 02:37 PM   #4
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
You can use my Word add-in to create ePUB directly from Word. Images are kept in the ePUB as well as endnotes. Footnotes will be converted to endnotes, since footnotes are not supported in ePUB.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 04:57 AM   #5
najgori
Klak
najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'najgori gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Device: many
pandoc
najgori is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-28-2015, 05:36 AM   #6
doylejohn
The Leprechaun
doylejohn began at the beginning.

Device: none
I am trying to do a code for xpath in calibre that will make an images be content in the table of contents with a "name" but not the image because my ebook is a jpeg.doc in its content. Does anyone know the code which will work that? My images go something like this. My image file for page five is image-5. jpeg. Page six, image-6.jpeg and so on. Would anyone like to take a crack at this. After I get the new name for each file then I want to make that name a link from the TOC to its page. It is a little to challenging for someone who has had only a few programming classes and definitely not one in XPath Expressions.
doylejohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 05:37 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Moderator Notice
Do not "hijack" someone else's thread to ask a completely unrelated question. Start a separate thread.

Thanks.
Old 02-28-2015, 07:04 AM   #8
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Depending on your iteration of Word, Toxaris's plug-in should do it. (It requires, I think, 2003 or newer.) An alternative is to paste the Word doc into Word2CleanHtml dot com online. I have done this, and the ENDNOTES (I converted the footnotes earlier; it just takes a click or two on Word's top menu) survived just fine. I then open the html in Sigil, which I much prefer to Calibre. With the new Preview pane, you for all practical purposes have a WYSIWYG window in the progress of your epub. You can get Sigil here: https://github.com/user-none/Sigil/releases
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2015, 08:26 AM   #9
odedta
Addict
odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.odedta read the news today, oh boy.

Device: iPad
Calibre should do the job, if it doesn't Toxaris's add-in should help.
odedta is offline   Reply With Quote