Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-06-2011, 07:36 AM   #1
KrowNB
Enthusiast
KrowNB began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Sony PRS-650
US/Can Kobo question

I'm thinking about heading across the border today and might pick up a Kobo at Walmart if they're in stock (getting attached to the one I got for my wife!). If it's bought in the US, would I be stuck with accessing the Borders site instead of Kobobooks? Would there be any other issues/differences? How about warranty problems? Would it have to be returned to the US if it bricked?
KrowNB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 08:52 AM   #2
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Your WiFi will want to connect to Borders. I suppose you can alter the /.kobo/Kobo/Kobo eReader.conf file and also use the Kobo desktop app instead of Borders. There is a thread here started by someone who reset the .conf to go to wikiipedia, but it didn't persist. He speculated that the desktop app was resetting it. I have no idea if using the Kobo desktop application, rather than the Borders one would render that moot.

Is there some special deal going on at Walmart in the US that makes it worth doing this? Our local Walmart had them for $128 CAD over the holidays--not sure of the price now.

I have purchased things in the US that were not covered under the warranty in Canada. Others are. See this example for photographic equipment.You might want to check with Kobo for more information.

Our local Chapters-Indigo has been so great when folks have needed to return a Kobo that I would not buy one anyplace else.

Last edited by taming; 01-06-2011 at 08:55 AM.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2011, 09:07 AM   #3
KrowNB
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
Your WiFi will want to connect to Borders. I suppose you can alter the /.kobo/Kobo/Kobo eReader.conf file and also use the Kobo desktop app instead of Borders. There is a thread here started by someone who reset the .conf to go to wikiipedia, but it didn't persist. He speculated that the desktop app was resetting it. I have no idea if using the Kobo desktop application, rather than the Borders one would render that moot.

Is there some special deal going on at Walmart in the US that makes it worth doing this? Our local Walmart had them for $128 CAD over the holidays--not sure of the price now.

Now they're $149 here. Walmart US has them for $129. Not a big deal but if we're taking the trip anyway...

Quote:
I have purchased things in the US that were not covered under the warranty in Canada. Others are. See this example for photographic equipment.You might want to check with Kobo for more information.

Our local Chapters-Indigo has been so great when folks have needed to return a Kobo that I would not buy one anyplace else.

You're right there. I've had nothing but the best of service from our Indigo store and personnel.

Thank you for your response.
Old 01-06-2011, 09:09 AM   #4
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
First, I have nothing against the Kobo, its the best if you want simplicity of operations. No one else has the sort of simplicity that Kobo has worked into their reader, there is one simple button that does everything.

If I was concerned about being tied to Borders, I would go buy the Aluratek Libra Pro, also from Borders. The Libra Pro couldn't careless where the ebooks from as long as they are there.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 09:20 AM   #5
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
If I was concerned about being tied to Borders, I would go buy the Aluratek Libra Pro, also from Borders. The Libra Pro couldn't careless where the ebooks from as long as they are there.
Anyone in any country (they say they sold books to people to 130 countries over Xmas) can buy from Kobobooks.com. The important issue here is the WiFi connection, I believe. And the warranty.

I'm not careless with my money, and I am all over bargains, but for me, $20 would not be worth the potential aggravation.
Advert
Old 01-06-2011, 05:28 PM   #6
pokee
Fanatic
pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Kobo Glo, Kobo Vox, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Tab2
Quote:
Anyone in any country (they say they sold books to people to 130 countries over Xmas) can buy from Kobobooks.com. The important issue here is the WiFi connection, I believe. And the warranty.

I'm not careless with my money, and I am all over bargains, but for me, $20 would not be worth the potential aggravation.
I agree. My rule is I have to save $100 or more to buy any electronics in the US. And even then, I am always fretting having to ship something back or return it personally, that I am not sure it's worth the anxiety.

I bought a Dell Laptop at Best Buy in Oregon last summer for $400 (same one would've cost me about $600 ordering from Dell in Canada - including taxes). Everytime I have a little issue, I panic - because I know it would be a big hassle to have to get some warranty help. So far, so good (knocking on my wooden noggin).

I learned my lesson when I bought a 20" 'Norcent' LCD TV years ago (US Warranty only) - for the bargain price of $1000 (it was looooong ago!). It had a pixel problem and I had to ship it across the border down to CA to get fixed/replaced. I had a ton of paperwork to fill out (to bypass the brokerage fees) and had to pay for shipping (not cheap - and not easy considering most CAD couriers would not insure LCD/Plasmas in shipping). Then Norcent was supposed to pay for shipping/brokerage for the return ship, and they DIDN'T (more hassle!).

Unless you're happy with the small possibility of throwing something out that dies during the warranty period, you really should consider only buying in the US when you're saving a big chunk of money...
pokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 02:21 PM   #7
omahawildcat
Enthusiast
omahawildcat began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
if you buy a kobo in US the borders store will be on the kobo wifi, but all you have ot do is download the kobo desktop app and plug your kobo into your computer and sync your library. It will change the wifi store on the reader to Kobo. as long as you don't sync back with the borders desktop app you will have access to kobo.
omahawildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 04:03 PM   #8
taming
Trying for calm & polite

Great to know!
Old 01-08-2011, 08:18 AM   #9
KrowNB
Enthusiast

Thanks everybody. As it happened I found a Sony PRS-650 on sale for $206.99 and jumped at it. No WiFi but SO many more other features that have been posted as Kobo firmware requests/wish-we-hads. I think I'll be happy with it.