Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Astak EZReader

Notices

Old 06-28-2010, 01:19 PM   #16
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
We have the lists of which states apply!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
The thing is, the publishers, or their distributors, should be able to provide you with the info on what they need you to charge (you're collecting it on their behalf). If their presence isn't in a county or city that charges an additional tax then it shouldn't come into play they're only charged when the business (publisher) has a presence specifically in that city/county. Just like Astak would charge CA tax to anyone in CA, but if San Jose has an extra tax would charge that to folks in San Jose, but not charge a city/county specific tax to someone in San Francisco (assuming they had a city tax) unless Astak actually had a physical presence in that city as well.

Here's a list that might help. It's where Amazon charges tax for various publishers...
Dear AnemicOak:

Thank you so much for trying to help. We did get one page lists from the publishers on which states we need to collect for. What we did not get is what the tax rate was for each state involved (found it online easily), and for each city and town (no idea on how to get this) and for district (no idea what a district is and how we are supposed to find the rate).

Ordinarily, when regulations of this nature are made, the info comes in a pamphlet WITH the regulation. I have to agree with cfrizz and davimee: it almost seems like they do not want us to sell. What is missing here is caring about the consumer!! I went online this weekend and checked every online bookstore I could think of after checking EZRead first for a book for my wife called The Lawyer. I could find it in audio form but never found it in EPUB anywhere. Her reaction: "These eBooks thingees are never going to go over as long as people cannot find what they want quickly and easily".

Then I bought her another eBook on EZread.com. That went fine in putting what she wanted in the cart. THEN... I tried to find a way to get a second book into the cart from an Independent Offer. That was endless fristration. I aim to get this improved today!! I was very disappointed!

Last edited by Robertb; 06-28-2010 at 03:32 PM.
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 01:37 PM   #17
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
I agree taxes can be a total pain. If the publishers didn't specify any city, county, etc extra sales taxes then I'd think that their presence isn't in a city/county that has any. Many don't charge an additional sales tax above what the state charges. If the publishers presence isn't in one of those localities that charges these additional taxes then they don't apply.

On another note. I was helping a friend get some books, published by Samhain, this weekend. I went to your site thinking I could finally buy something their as I'd remembered seeing some of their stuff when browsing around. Unfortunately you're only carrying their books as PDF's. I know for a fact they publish ePub's of their stuff. You also might have a hard time with some of those smaller pubs if you're only going to offer one format since many of them offer multiple formats directly and also through Fictionwise so you can go back and download other formats later if desired.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 02:15 PM   #18
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertb View Post
Dear AnemicOak:

Thank you so much for trying to help. We did get one page lists from the publishers on which states we need to collect for. What we did not get is what the tax rate was for each state involved (found it online easily), and for each city and town (no idea on how to get this) and for district (no idea what a district is and how we are supposed to find the rate).

Ordinarily, when regulations of this nature are made, the info comes in a pamphlet WITH the regulation. I have to agree with cfrizz and davimee: it almost seems like they do not want us to sell.
I think I finally "get" what the Agency model is and why sales taxes may apply (and why the may not).
EZREAD is a Sales AGENT for the Publisher, rather than a RETAILER (That is why taxes apply in states ASTAK has no presence, the publisher may.) EZREAD gets a Sales COMMISSION based upon (site) REFERRALS.
District (city,county,state) Sales(or Use) taxes are due in many jurisdictions, regardless where the sale took place. In others, there is no "Use Tax" (for sales made outside a Jurisdiction).

It is a nightmare. Different commodities have different tax rates in different jurisdictions. Cross a city line, and that items tax status changes (may not be taxable).
Ask a person,what the Tax rate is for where they live. 75% could not tell me or the answer was incorrect.
Ask a person what County they lived in (so the rate could be looked up). Almost 50% could not answer.
How do I know? I sold books on the Internet under the Domain "Greenduck.com" in the 90's
Untill Congress gets o their backsides and passes a LAW that all inter-state sales will use ONLY the state level tax rate (49 other rates to keep track of), Merchants will have this nightmare.

BTW it is against the law in California (and probably others) to "over- reimburse" on sales tax collected.

If you get charged at an incorrect rate, contact the Attorney General and file a complaint about the PUBLISHER that collected to much tax (via THEIR Agent).
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 03:24 PM   #19
Robertb
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Fully Agree, need EPUB!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
I agree taxes can be a total pain. If the publishers didn't specify any city, county, etc extra sales taxes then I'd think that their presence isn't in a city/county that has any. Many don't charge an additional sales tax above what the state charges. If the publishers presence isn't in one of those localities that charges these additional taxes then they don't apply.

On another note. I was helping a friend get some books, published by Samhain, this weekend. I went to your site thinking I could finally buy something their as I'd remembered seeing some of their stuff when browsing around. Unfortunately you're only carrying their books as PDF's. I know for a fact they publish ePub's of their stuff. You also might have a hard time with some of those smaller pubs if you're only going to offer one format since many of them offer multiple formats directly and also through Fictionwise so you can go back and download other formats later if desired.
Dear Anemic Oak:

I also went to our website to buy an eBook Saturday and was very disappointed to only find it in PDF. I also like EPUB. MOST of our "pay" titles are offered in both PDF and EPUB; but there are some that are ONLY in PDF. I will try to change that!!

ALL of the Independent Publishers books are in EPUB!!
Old 06-28-2010, 03:31 PM   #20
Robertb

Finally, a moment of sunshine

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
I think I finally "get" what the Agency model is and why sales taxes may apply (and why the may not).
EZREAD is a Sales AGENT for the Publisher, rather than a RETAILER (That is why taxes apply in states ASTAK has no presence, the publisher may.) EZREAD gets a Sales COMMISSION based upon (site) REFERRALS.
District (city,county,state) Sales(or Use) taxes are due in many jurisdictions, regardless where the sale took place. In others, there is no "Use Tax" (for sales made outside a Jurisdiction).

It is a nightmare. Different commodities have different tax rates in different jurisdictions. Cross a city line, and that items tax status changes (may not be taxable).
Ask a person,what the Tax rate is for where they live. 75% could not tell me or the answer was incorrect.
Ask a person what County they lived in (so the rate could be looked up). Almost 50% could not answer.
How do I know? I sold books on the Internet under the Domain "Greenduck.com" in the 90's
Untill Congress gets o their backsides and passes a LAW that all inter-state sales will use ONLY the state level tax rate (49 other rates to keep track of), Merchants will have this nightmare.

BTW it is against the law in California (and probably others) to "over- reimburse" on sales tax collected.

If you get charged at an incorrect rate, contact the Attorney General and file a complaint about the PUBLISHER that collected to much tax (via THEIR Agent).
Dear All:

I did find a way where I can get ALL of the tax info (both sales tax and use tax) by State, City, Town, County, District, and Zip Code. You do have to pay for this service; but at least we would be able to enormously speed this up so we can bring up the Agency Model eBooks!!

We are testing and considering!