Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-27-2010, 08:45 AM   #1
UvA_research
UvA_research began at the beginning.

Device: none
Volunteers wanted `'Reseach project about Ereaders`'

Dear reader,

for our research project we need four volunteers. The main purpose of this research is to investigate the usage of ereaders.

For this project, we defined three sub-questions; where, how and why do you use your ereader. These three sub-questions would derive us to an overview of the purpose and benefits of using an ereader.

We will take care of your privacy, and keep the information confidential.

The case:
- Per volunteer, make 5 upto 10 pictures of yourself while using your ereader and send them to 5980860@student.uva.nl. Please send them in before the 3th of April 2010.

For this research we are using the photo-elicitation method. Pictures provides us a better impression of the experience and will be used in the in-depth interviews.

After this task, we would send you an in depth interview which exist out of 10 questions. Thank you for your contribution in advance!

This is only a small part of our research. We also investigate local communities. Just to add an small global impression of ereader users and their behaviour. Off course we are aware of the fact that more than four persons will reply. More than four replies are very welcome, this will enhance the validity of our researchproject. This research is not an Master theses, only a project that has to be done in 16 weeks.

We are really interested in this topic, it will be a contribution for our Theses research proposal.

The research is done by supervision of the Amsterdam Business School. In this hyperlink you will find more information.

http://www1.fee.uva.nl/pp/ychandra/

Amsterdam business school
Master: Business studies
Course: International Marketing

Last edited by UvA_research; 03-27-2010 at 09:59 AM.
UvA_research is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 08:48 AM   #2
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by UvA_research View Post
Dear reader,

for our research project we need four volunteers. The main purpose of this research is to investigate the usage of ereaders.

For this project, we defined three sub-questions; where, how and why do you use your ereader. These three sub-questions would derive us to an overview of the purpose and benefits of using an ereader.

We will take care of your privacy, and keep the information confidential.

The case:
- Per volunteer, make 5 upto 10 pictures of yourself while using your ereader and send them to 5980860@student.uva.nl.

After this task, we would send you an in depth interview which exist out of 10 questions. Thank you for your contribution in advance!

Amsterdam business school
Master: Business studies
Course: International Marketing
I think you need to explain why you need photographs!
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 08:51 AM   #3
UvA_research

Thanks for your comment, we will add this in the header as well.
Old 03-27-2010, 09:00 AM   #4
Tamara
Evangelist
Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPhone
The photograph part seems rather creepy and pointless.
Tamara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 09:15 AM   #5
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
The photograph part seems rather creepy and pointless.
Well, photo-elicitation is a recognised and respectable research methodology in sociology, anthropology and cultural studies type areas. But I think that the researchers need to provide a bit more information - for example, the contact details of the person supervising their research so that, if anyone is interested in taking part, they can check out their bona fides. It also seems a bit methodologically clumsy to ask people to send photographs before being recruited to the study - what if, for example, 20 people send in photographs. The study only needs 4 participants so what happens to the other 16 sets of photographs?

Last edited by TGS; 03-27-2010 at 09:20 AM.
Old 03-27-2010, 09:16 AM   #6
Conor
Groupie
Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Conor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kobo Touch
Four people sounds like a very small sample for a research project. How can you draw any statistically valid conclusions from that?
You'll understand why we seem suspicious.
Conor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 09:17 AM   #7
GhostHawk
Data Privateer!
GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.

Device: Ectaco Jetbook& Jetbook Lite
Tell me more please so I can make an informed decision.

Does seem like an extremely small data sample.

40 pictures of 40 people would I think be much more "defining" than 10 pictures each from 4 people.
GhostHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 09:43 AM   #8
UvA_research

This is only a small part of our research. We also investigate local communities. Just to add an small global impression of ereader users and their behaviour. Off course we are aware of the fact that more than four persons will reply. More than four replies are very welcome, this will enhance our validity of our researchproject. This research is not an Master theses, only a project that has to be done in 16 weeks.

We are really interested in this topic, it will be a contribution for our Theses research proposal.

The research is done by supervision of the Amsterdam Business School. In this hyperlink you will find more information.

http://www1.fee.uva.nl/pp/ychandra/
Old 03-27-2010, 11:02 AM   #9
Tamara
Evangelist
Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGS View Post
Well, photo-elicitation is a recognised and respectable research methodology in sociology, anthropology and cultural studies type areas. But I think that the researchers need to provide a bit more information - for example, the contact details of the person supervising their research so that, if anyone is interested in taking part, they can check out their bona fides. It also seems a bit methodologically clumsy to ask people to send photographs before being recruited to the study - what if, for example, 20 people send in photographs. The study only needs 4 participants so what happens to the other 16 sets of photographs?
I understand pictures for certain things to illustrate the point you are seeking to make but I don't see how someone taking 10 pictures of themselves with a reader helps the research study. It would seem that a better method for this particular study would be a series of carefully crafted questions that the participants answer.
Old 03-27-2010, 12:05 PM   #10
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
I agree - the pictures requirement is just plain creepy - and would seem to have no real place in legitimate research - only in posting "authentic" photos in ads without having gotten consent.
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 12:08 PM   #11
TGS
Country Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
I understand pictures for certain things to illustrate the point you are seeking to make but I don't see how someone taking 10 pictures of themselves with a reader helps the research study. It would seem that a better method for this particular study would be a series of carefully crafted questions that the participants answer.
I was simply passing on what I know about photo-elicitation methodologies in social sciences - I'm not connected with the study. You can find more information about the methodology at this link if you want.
Old 03-27-2010, 03:16 PM   #12
Tamara
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGS View Post
I was simply passing on what I know about photo-elicitation methodologies in social sciences - I'm not connected with the study. You can find more information about the methodology at this link if you want.
I have a degree in sociology. I'm familiar with the methodology.
Old 03-27-2010, 03:37 PM   #13
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
I always wondered what I should do with that snap of me on the toilet with my Sony!
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 03:39 PM   #14
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBoblo View Post
I always wondered what I should do with that snap of me on the toilet with my Sony!
And I read my Sony a lot in the bath

Perhaps they'll get more than they bargained for?
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 03:44 PM   #15
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
And I read my Sony a lot in the bath

Perhaps they'll get more than they bargained for?
Kama Sutra is apparently one of the most pirated ebooks, and one of the most popular downloaded books on Project Gutenberg. Just sayin'.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote