Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-19-2013, 04:27 AM   #1
Aeris
Developer's Corner Mascot
Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 5.3.4, Kindle Keyboard 3.4
How to convert linux apps for running in kual?

Hi,

can anybody explain me what kind of apps can i covert for running under kual (in which language must be written, for example, or for which OS), and how to make the conversion?

Last edited by Aeris; 09-19-2013 at 04:38 AM.
Aeris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 05:02 AM   #2
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Tır
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
little endian. arm v7.
Compiled for that
Errr... Can't think of anything intelligent to say beyond that.

We can also manage python and Java and a couple of other languages with the right installs first. But yeah little endian arm (armel) is the core guts.
Grab a copy of "buildroot" and check out one of the guides on here.

Give you a good grounding in the core options available/required IMHO
Also is a very capable system for porting efforts.

If I have underestimated your level of awesome I apologise.
Just woken up
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 05:05 AM   #3
Aeris
Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aeris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

"under" not for sure, maybe "over" xD I'm only a linux user, I know how to compile tar.gz for this but have never tryed for an arm. May I ask, if not too complicated, how did you convert the galculator app? Just to have an example to imitate...

How did you know that it had nice probability to run under kindle? How did you compiled/ported it?

Only if you have time and it isn't to much hard to explain

Last edited by Aeris; 09-19-2013 at 05:08 AM.
Old 09-19-2013, 05:09 AM   #4
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeris View Post
Hi,

can anybody explain me what kind of apps can i covert for running under kual (in which language must be written, for example), and how to make the conversion?
They must be an executable script or executable program.
No other restrictions (other than processor type).
If the administrator 'root' can run it, so can KUAL.

KUAL does not stand in your way of getting something to run (it was designed that way).

- - - answer to your implied question - - -

There are other things that restrict what can be run on a Kindle.
and/or how much effort it takes to port them to the Amazon system.

Considerations:
* The age of the kernel and system libraries -
In general, if you can find the application in the Debian/Wheezy distribution built for armel - you have a chance.

* The display system -
Effects things graphic.
The "K5" devices run X11 on a framebuffer. That gives you a well known and high-level interface to the display.
The earlier devices, well, they vary from a tad bit more difficult to nearly impossible. YMMV

* The audio system -
The K5-Paperwhite doesn't have one.
Some of the other models are rather broken and/or strange in other ways.

* The amount of ram allowed a single application -
Usually set to warn at about 74Mbytes of ram (at least on the K5 models, other models may differ)

- - - How does twobob manage to build nearly anything that stands still long enough? - - -

* Some he doesn't actually build, he pulls them out of the Debian release archives and applies a script that analyses what libraries are required. (Info on that posted around here somewhere.)

* He uses Buildroot plus "Buildroot external" toolchain and C libraries (defined in Buildroot) and then just adds a custom package file to BR.

- - - How does NiLuJe build the things he does? - - -
He uses his own, custom built, toolchain and scripting.
Also published around here somewhere.
It is usually attached as a 'tc' tar-ball to some of his bigger projects.

- - - Non-ARMel code - - -
There are various emulators built to run on the Kindles that emulate other machines from micro-processor based game devices to the IBM s-system mainframes.

I was in the midst of testing IBM Mainframe support when "called away by life's duties" this summer -
I will get back to it and finish its testing / packaging.

As a general rule - if it runs (or ran) on a quad processor, simplex, 3090-400 (or earlier) Mainframe, it will run on a Kindle.
(I think - at least it looks like it for the moment.)

The state of that project (IBM operating systems):
os/360 - still need to do a sysgen for the Kindle resources and test.
vm/370 - runs
s-390/mts - runs
s-390/mvs - remains to be tested

And in that mix, you will find language limitations -
for instance: Cobol - limited to Cobol/360
The last, public domain, IBM Cobol compiler.

For the IBM-1130 -
I think PoP is the only one using that, but he hasn't complained - it must be working.

= = = = =

A rather general answer I am afraid.

If you have something specific in mind - start a thread - people here may already have tried it and can lend advice.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 05:21 AM   #5
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

no problem.

it was a gtk application.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=189372

Knew we had a decent chance. (also added some notes on that thread about how to do it on all devices)

I then setup and debian chroot on the kindle touch (optional - you can just use your computer to cross-compile) installed libtool/autotools/build-essential/ccache actually ON the debian chroot.

like apt-get install (list of junk)

recently SID has moved too far ahead of the kindles kernels so I used a gripped WHEEZY.
(in case anyone is mad enough to actually follow what I did exactly)

grabbed down the source and dumped in /usr/local/src
(well actually /mnt/us/debian/usr/local/src)

did a
autoreconf
./configure --prefix /mnt/us/extensions/galculator/usr {other options}
PATH=/usr/lib/ccache:$PATH make
make install

(this appeared in /mnt/us/debian/mnt/us/extensions/galculator/usr )

then copied to /mnt/us/extensions/galculator/usr

and bad-a-boom it was an armel build for the kindle, by a kindle.

Last edited by twobob; 09-23-2013 at 07:35 AM.
Old 09-19-2013, 05:22 AM   #6
twobob

knc1's answer was a good one.
Old 09-19-2013, 05:34 AM   #7
Aeris

Thank you both, kind as usual
Old 09-19-2013, 09:18 AM   #8
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aeris View Post
Thank you both, kind as usual
You are welcome.

You will probably hear from other developers as the day goes on (different timezones, different hobby schedules).

In general:
We treat the Kindle as a (8oz.) general purpose computer system and proceed with that thought in mind.

But everyone has their own way of getting the job done.
We are not stuck in any rut here, of everyone using the same tools and problem solving methods.

Do a little research, find what you think you will be comfortable with, continue.

Another resource - see the #kindle-dev sticky thread.
It may take a bit to wake someone up - but many of the developers monitor that channel.
(Except twobob, he is still running on a "Live Tour" entertainer's schedule, he sleeps at least once a week.)

Last edited by knc1; 09-19-2013 at 09:45 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2013, 09:37 AM   #9
Aeris

Quote:
We treat the Kindle as a (8oz.) general purpose computer system and proceed with that thought in mind.
I totally agree with this. Mainly for my eyes' sake, I prefer using it then any other LCD device: the more can I do on it, the less I'll have to use my computer. That's why applications like Leafpad, Koreader and your great work and support are so precious to me!

Tags
launcher add-ons