Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-16-2010, 05:42 PM   #31
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
I have seen the Incredible and I was not impressed with it.
Would you care to elaborate, since you are making such a statement?

I have a 3Gs and I have played with the Incredible. I personally was impressed, and IMO, while different, the Incredible is very close to, and in some respects, better, than the iPhone.

Most reviewers seem to agree, like CNET for instance:

http://reviews.cnet.com/2722-6452_7-559.html
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 07:14 PM   #32
watershawl
Enthusiast
watershawl began at the beginning.

Device: nook
I use a HTC Hero, by the way, and think it is very much on par with the iPhone, and in some ways better. I like the hardware on the iPhone, but I like the software Android provides.

Has anyone heard whether or not this Google Verizon Tablet might be running ChromeOS? I thought Google was coming out with a Chrome tablet? Are they making 2 possibly? They seem to be on two tracks, one Android and one Chrome.
watershawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-16-2010, 09:57 PM   #33
Tamara
Evangelist
Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Tamara once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonist View Post
Would you care to elaborate, since you are making such a statement?
Nope. I don't have to justify my opinion to you.
Tamara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 10:23 PM   #34
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
No one has to justify an opinion, but it's always more interesting/informative to hear why someone likes or dislikes something as it helps point out pros/cons of devices.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2010, 10:31 PM   #35
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
Nope. I don't have to justify my opinion to you.
Perhaps not to me.

But other readers of this thread may have benefited from a more intelligent answer.

Bertrand Russell once said, that the trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.
Advert
Old 05-17-2010, 01:39 AM   #36
Marseille
Guru
Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marseille ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Unless you looked at the Incredible, all the other Android phones at Verizon are still on OS 1.x, which is definitely sub-par.
I might have misunderstood you, but the original Droid started life at 2.x and has been upgraded to 2.1. Even the Eris has been upgraded to 2.1 (though that's very recent).
Marseille is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 02:02 AM   #37
m-reader
Guru
m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Sony PRS-300. PRS-650, PRS-900, iPad2, Iconia A500, Irex Iliad (sold)
I'm very much sold on the Android phone platform. I still haven't decided between Motorola Droid (I like the keyboard) and Sony Xperia X10 (nice screen).
m-reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 06:12 AM   #38
pboss
Evangelist
pboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enough

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by m-reader View Post
I'm very much sold on the Android phone platform. I still haven't decided between Motorola Droid (I like the keyboard) and Sony Xperia X10 (nice screen).
Just the decision I'm facing. This may help:

http://www.jawal123.com/PublicPages/...11_&Lang=en-US
pboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 06:35 AM   #39
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by m-reader View Post

And I happened to notice a number of books at the Barnes&Noble on Android OS Programming this weekend.

Yeah there are Iphone books too, but just a quick glace at both and it seems the Android is way more open.....as most would expect.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 07:47 AM   #40
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Just saw this:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-30684_3-20005084-265.html
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 09:25 AM   #41
m-reader
Guru
m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!m-reader rocks like Gibraltar!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
And I happened to notice a number of books at the Barnes&Noble on Android OS Programming this weekend.

Yeah there are Iphone books too, but just a quick glace at both and it seems the Android is way more open.....as most would expect.
You are ahead of me there! I've just downloaded and installed the Android SDK and the emulator. Time to play
Old 05-17-2010, 09:27 AM   #42
m-reader
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Froyo sounds great, but if I can't get there on the bus, I'm not going.
Joking aside, I'm really jealous of you guys across the Atlantic having access to all these gigs. Not fair!
Old 05-17-2010, 11:41 AM   #43
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by watershawl View Post
I use a HTC Hero, by the way, and think it is very much on par with the iPhone, and in some ways better. I like the hardware on the iPhone, but I like the software Android provides.

Has anyone heard whether or not this Google Verizon Tablet might be running ChromeOS? I thought Google was coming out with a Chrome tablet? Are they making 2 possibly? They seem to be on two tracks, one Android and one Chrome.
The Verizon CEO has mentioned the tablet will be running the Android OS.

I personally don't like the direction the Tablet industry is going. Tables have a real potential of being productive devices, much like the courier. But the industry is content on making these devices nothing more than toys by putting a sub par OS on them (read mobile phone OS)

Quote:
Perhaps not to me.

But other readers of this thread may have benefited from a more intelligent answer.

Bertrand Russell once said, that the trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt.
C'mon Sonist, you can expect more reason and rational coming from an Orangutan than a fanboy... (looks at avatar... umh no offense)
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 12:23 PM   #44
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by =X= View Post
I personally don't like the direction the Tablet industry is going. Tables have a real potential of being productive devices, much like the courier. But the industry is content on making these devices nothing more than toys by putting a sub par OS on them (read mobile phone OS)
Yep, that's two things that bother me about recent tablet annoucements.

Phone OSs, and tending to have 16x9 screens and 5-9" screens--bad ratio and size for working with A4 sized documents which is my main need.

The OS issue I can get around. The only real problems I have with the iPad OS is lack of a user accessible file system (like windows explorer etc.), files mostly only accessible to one App due to lack of central location for document files, lack of drag and drop in windows, lack of USB ports etc.

I'd think all that could be done in a Android or WebOS based tablet. And give the advantage of having the speed, slickness (built from ground up for touch use) and battery life of the iPad by not running a full PC OS.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2010, 07:38 PM   #45
Sonist
Apeist

According to AndroidAndMe, Verizon is indicating that there will be a number of Android tablets in Q4:

"... According to Verizon Wireless CEO Lowell McAdam, customers should expect that the first tablets will be Android devices from contenders including Motorola, Samsung and LG. These Android tablets will go head to head with Apple’s iPad and Verizon expects to sell many of these gadgets in the forth quarter.

No specs have been revealed, but look for manufacturers to utilize next-generation processors running Android 2.2 or greater. Most tablets will feature ARM-based cores, like the NVIDIA Tegra 2, but keep an eye out for some Intel-powered devices as well. ...
"