Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-22-2008, 01:36 PM   #46
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
They are using a vBulletin plugin that requires new users to first post in a hidden forum. That proves you're not a spam bot. When a site admin sees your account and your first post, he then activates your account.

But the site is very strictly about Terry Goodkind, period. Not much reason to join unless you're already a fan.
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 02:11 PM   #47
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taylor514ce View Post
They are using a vBulletin plugin that requires new users to first post in a hidden forum. That proves you're not a spam bot. When a site admin sees your account and your first post, he then activates your account.

But the site is very strictly about Terry Goodkind, period. Not much reason to join unless you're already a fan.
I wrote the requisite first post and am waiting.

I've never heard of Terry Goodkind but I did download the Kindle sample. Maybe I'll become a fan, maybe I won't but if it weren't for MobileRead and e-ink, he'd still be off my radar.

I hope he's open to being open to being discovered by readers who use other devices (just try to decipher that one!).
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-22-2008, 02:13 PM   #48
suineg
suineg began at the beginning.

Device: Sony E-Reader
Amazing that he even made this jump to begin with.

If you ever meet him in person he is a technophobe or at least he was in 2004 when I met him.
suineg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 02:17 PM   #49
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
if I could meet him, I'd sow him my 505 and get him to realize life exists outside of any one reader.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 03:06 PM   #50
gollu
Unsullied
gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gollu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i
Maybe he just thinks ebooks are some bad (black) magic, as in another thread it was mentioned ebooks are not the Harry Potter type of magic.
Now seriously, that book is almost the only one good enough to be bought in the series. The second has different fabula yet "tastes" somewhat the same. And from the fifth book till the last 11th (part to book 6) it's just a really bad read. Maybe the worst I've had in all my fantasy reading.
So Mr Goodkind is selling what is "sellable".
I do believe books should be priced according to some literature value, so maybe he'll release the rest for free.
gollu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-22-2008, 03:20 PM   #51
Taylor514ce
Actively passive.
Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Taylor514ce ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505/LC
Well. Hmmm. Perhaps it's much fuss about nothing, then. The principle of the thing, though. It's the principle... why would an author intentionally LIMIT the availability of their work, by excluding a segment of potential, paying, customers?
Taylor514ce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 03:31 PM   #52
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
T., that was a nice thread over on the terrygoodkind.com forum. I don't have a lot of interest in this author, personally, but that could change. I'm not likely to go buy the books in paper, though, and since I don't own a Kindle, I guess I'm pretty much not buying copies at all. (I may check to see if my local library has a copy.)
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 04:24 PM   #53
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
I'm guessing Amazon paid some sum for the exclusivity since that is a pretty good PR for the Kindle. Don't really see what else could be a reason.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 04:43 PM   #54
llasram
Reticulator of Tharn
llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
I'm guessing Amazon paid some sum for the exclusivity since that is a pretty good PR for the Kindle. Don't really see what else could be a reason.
But then you'd expect them to promote it, right? Anyone seen any PRing on this front other than the Publisher's Weekly article?
llasram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 05:00 PM   #55
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I rather enjoyed his books. I've still to finish the last two of them.
Old 08-22-2008, 05:00 PM   #56
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

It was on the Kindle Store page when you went there.
Old 08-22-2008, 05:40 PM   #57
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
I wouldn't be surprised if they backed but the money truck. There could be other reasons, though. If he's a bit of a technophobe like they say maybe he thinks his works are less likely to be stolen by evil darknet pirates on a more closed system like the Kindle. We all know that's not true, but I think Amazon uses it as a differentiating point with publishers. Personally, I think going exclusive makes it more likely people will illegally share his work. I hope folks convince him to reconsider. I just hope the agreement isn't too long lasting and that it doesn't encompass a lot of works.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 05:58 PM   #58
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Is Goodkind a big enough name in his genre to up the PR for the Kindle? I wasn't familiar with him until the threads here popped up... of course that means next to nothing.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 06:09 PM   #59
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by TallMomof2 View Post
I was looking around Amazon and noticed that a MMPB is being released 9/20, maybe the Kindle only edition is a teaser for the MMPB. I wouldn't be surprised if other ebook formats appear once the MMPB is released.
I don't understand. This book has been out in paperback for I think about 10 years.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2008, 06:30 PM   #60
RickyMaveety
Holy S**T!!!
RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.RickyMaveety lived happily ever after.

Device: Kindle and iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffy4u View Post
Is Goodkind a big enough name in his genre to up the PR for the Kindle? I wasn't familiar with him until the threads here popped up... of course that means next to nothing.
No idea, Daffy. I've never heard of him either.
RickyMaveety is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
duck!