Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Fictionwise eBookwise

Notices

View Poll Results: In addition to your eBookwise 1150, how many also own different ebook readers?
no eBookwise 1150 yet but use legacy Gemstar reader (REB 1200, REB 1100, Rocket eBook) 1 1.28%
eBookwise 1150 only! 20 25.64%
eBookwise 1150 and legacy Gemstar reader (REB 1200, REB 1100, Rocket eBook) 6 7.69%
eBookwise 1150 and iRex iLiad 0 0%
eBookwise 1150 and Sony ebook reader (PRS-500, PRS-505) 14 17.95%
eBookwise 1150 and Bookeen Cybook Gen3 4 5.13%
eBookwise 1150 and Amazon Kindle 8 10.26%
eBookwise 1150 and other e-ink reader (HanLan, STAReBook) 0 0%
eBookwise 1150 and mixture of above ebook reader 11 14.10%
eBookwise 1150 and ebook reader not mentioned above 6 7.69%
This doesn't apply to me but I'd like to see the results 8 10.26%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-14-2008, 09:08 PM   #1
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
In addition to your eBookwise 1150, how many also own different ebook readers?

It's fun to upgrade to exciting and cool technologies. It's got that certain appeal. However, sometimes tried and true devices outlast fad devices.

This poll is meant for dedicated ebook readers and not PDA/Palm/Smartphone types of readers (sorry).

This poll tries to find out if the eBookwise 1150 is the only ebook reader you use or have used. It will give an indication of the migration path taken by many of us to embrace (current and past) ebook readers.

EDIT: See the First week's Poll results for some interesting trends...

Last edited by nrapallo; 03-24-2008 at 09:48 AM. Reason: hey this is the 100th thread!!!!!
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 10:06 PM   #2
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
so far, i only have an ebookwise, but i am planning to buy an e-ink device one day. so i did not vote (yet...), because there is no really accurate answer for me... can you add one ?
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-14-2008, 10:32 PM   #3
nrapallo
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
so far, i only have an ebookwise, but i am planning to buy an e-ink device one day. so i did not vote (yet...), because there is no really accurate answer for me... can you add one ?
Hey, no fence sitting; the poll is for the present.
Old 03-15-2008, 01:52 AM   #4
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
I started with a Palm 72s for ereading, then got my EB 1150, then my Sony 505.

I still love and use my EB1150 though. Just a great piece of technology, and I miss the backlighting, touch dictionary and ability to mark up copy that the Sony reader lacks.
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 07:56 AM   #5
nrapallo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnageddon View Post
I started with a Palm 72s for ereading, then got my EB 1150, then my Sony 505.

I still love and use my EB1150 though. Just a great piece of technology, and I miss the backlighting, touch dictionary and ability to mark up copy that the Sony reader lacks.
I started with the REB 1100 (great B & W), then had to have the REB 1200 (great color), then picked up a backup REB 1100, then some Sony Clie PDAs, then nothing. I had saturated my use of different ebook readers.

Then along came the eBookwise 1150, and my content world opened up again! I actively used the ebook readers again. My wife now has the EBW 1150 and my kids each have a REB 1100. No one uses the Sony PDA for reading ebooks. Since then I have mostly prepared my own content and was able to get a backup REB 1200.

By the way, the REB 1200 is the most enjoyable, whereas the Sony Clie TH-55 with its ereader software the least enjoyable of the lot (relatively speaking).

The Sony PDA used a very small bold font (swiz 21 12pt) which allowed the maximum possible text on screen and still legible. It was a great combination but waned in comparison to the (larger screen) dedicated ebook devices.

I will probably hold-out for a color e-ink device as my next ebook reader, but it must have the 'features' of the REB 1200 / EBW 1100.

Come on eBook Technologies, Inc., what are you waiting for....
Advert
Old 03-15-2008, 08:55 AM   #6
lmarie
Dilettante
lmarie doesn't litterlmarie doesn't litter

Device: EB1150, Cybook Gen3, Kobo Touch
Although I use the Cybook the most, due to the screen and its light weight, I actually prefer all the other features of the EB1150: the touch-word dictionary lookup, the ability to write on the screen, page number display, the ergonomics of the buttons, the backlight. If somebody could put those features on an e-ink (as others have said) and keep it lightweight, I'd be in ebook heaven. I don't care about color, since I read mainly mysteries and classics.

Lelah
lmarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2008, 02:00 PM   #7
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

picking a side and jumping

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrapallo View Post
Hey, no fence sitting; the poll is for the present.
ok ok if you insist i have only an eb1150 for the present.

as nrapallo and lmarie have said, what i *really* want is a new eb1150 with e-ink screen (and lighter). i don't care about the backlight, actually i prefer not to have one. color would be nice, but not *necessary* ; few of the books i read in paper have any color besides the cover. if eb1150 doesn't make one before i decide i can afford to get myself a *really* *expensive* present, i will get a Cybook Gen3.
Old 03-15-2008, 06:04 PM   #8
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

nRapallo, I had no idea that eBook Tech Inc was still a going concern. I notice on their web site that what you call a EB 1100 is called a ETI-1. It look like an interesting product, but they state that it is "only for enterprise, training and military direct customers".

How did you get your ETI-1?
Old 03-15-2008, 06:32 PM   #9
nrapallo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnageddon View Post
nRapallo, I had no idea that eBook Tech Inc was still a going concern. I notice on their web site that what you call a REB 1200 is called a ETI-1. It look like an interesting product, but they state that it is "only for enterprise, training and military direct customers".

How did you get your ETI-1?
Ebay is your friend!

My first one, several years ago, was from ebay seller 'togoWare' (who also sells Photo Album Software for the REB1200) and was in 'A-1' condition.

The second one, several months ago, was in worst condition but I managed to get it "back to life" by sending it into ETI and having the firmware updated. I originally got it for parts (battery and such) but it now works fine!

By the way, check out ETI's e-ink prototype , the ETI-3?, that they have been working on for what seems like ages!
Old 03-16-2008, 01:02 AM   #10
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...

The "ETI-Proto Device" looks interesting, but does not seem to be offering anything much different than the PRS-505. Maybe when more details are known and if it has a breakthrough price point, it might be something special.

Here is for hoping!
Old 03-16-2008, 06:46 AM   #11
Moonraker
Addict
Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moonraker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ILiad. Gen 3, PocketBook 360, Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Oasis 2
This poll does not seem to fit my situation.
I have the following devices:

Franklin Bookman 901
Ebookwise 1150
Palm TX 3
iLiad
Cybook Gen 3

I have also used a Fujitsu 1000 and a Fujitsu 3400 for ebook reading.
The Fujitsu 1000 is very old and heavy but I could read it outdoors because it had a mono transflective screen.

The eBookwise 1150 beats them all in terms of ergonomics and ease of use. I just wish it had an e-ink screen.
Moonraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 07:45 AM   #12
nrapallo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonraker View Post
This poll does not seem to fit my situation.
I have the following devices:

Franklin Bookman 901
Ebookwise 1150
Palm TX 3
iLiad
Cybook Gen 3

I have also used a Fujitsu 1000 and a Fujitsu 3400 for ebook reading.
The Fujitsu 1000 is very old and heavy but I could read it outdoors because it had a mono transflective screen.

The eBookwise 1150 beats them all in terms of ergonomics and ease of use. I just wish it had an e-ink screen.
I almost bought the Franklin ebookman 911 as my preferred ebook reader, but the battery situation scared me away.

As I was trying to ignore (small screen) PDA/Palm type of ebook readers, in this poll, the second last poll category was meant for people in your situation, i.e.

9. eBookwise 1150 and mixture of above ebook readers

(sorry - last word should have been plural!)

Maybe, I should have put in a special category, to handle situations like yours, namely:

11. eBookwise 1150 and any other ebook reader I can get my hands on!

Oh, well, in the next poll!

Last edited by nrapallo; 03-16-2008 at 07:50 AM.
Old 03-22-2008, 03:13 PM   #13
nrapallo

First week's Poll Results...

Ok, March Break is over and what have we learned, here, about our beloved eBookwise 1150 (still under $140 I may add!)?

Well, for starters, roughly 30 responses does not make for accurate results, but what the heck:

1. Just over a third (35%) of us have only the EBW 1150, which means they are relatively new to the whole NuvoMedia/SoftBook/Gemstar legacy world. They have not yet learned to stray.

2. That leaves almost two-thirds (60%) with either older legacy readers (like me) and/or newer e-ink devices.

3. Of those with e-ink devices as well, almost half (47%) have multiple ebooks readers (and probably hoards of other gadgets). The Sony ebook reader seems the upgrade path of choice with almost one in three (33%) making that decision. The Amazon Kindle only had about 10% support as the only other ebook reader EBW1150 owners have as did the Cybook Gen 3.

4. No-one chose to 'upgrade' solely to the (most) expensive e-ink device, iLiad. Can we assume EBW 1150 owners to be more frugal?

5. In the end, just under half (43%) are using Gemstar/ETI devices and have not entered the world of e-ink devices. Could backlighting be THAT important?

Thanks to all who participated!

Last edited by nrapallo; 03-22-2008 at 10:29 PM.
Old 03-22-2008, 05:20 PM   #14
Jadon
Hermit
Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.Jadon can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, Kobo Glo
Quote:
just under half (43%) are using Gemstar/ETI devices and have not entered the world of e-ink devices. Could backlghting be THAT important?
Yes. Well, self-lighting, not specifically back-lighting. If an e-ink unit came out with integral side-lighting in the bezel, and didn't mess up the ergonomics as so many seem to, I'd check it out. At the moment, shoving an OLPC dual-mode screen and an SD slot into an ETI-2 chassis seems the best option physically. Frankly, 900x1200 B&W (and lesser, typically 840x630 color) resolution is better than e-ink. It's self-lighting when needed, low-power (even if not ultra-low, like e-ink), inexpensive ($28 for just the screen, an old post I read somewhere said, though with the dollar's collapse it might be higher now), and at 7.5 inches a tad bigger than most e-ink 6-inchers. Except for battery fetishists and "I could never stare into a screen for hours" souls, an OLPC is generally a better option than current e-ink. An OLPC screened unit could go for an eBookwise price and be not only an ebook viewer, but also a video player.
Jadon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 06:17 PM   #15
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
In the end, just under half (43%) are using Gemstar/ETI devices and have not entered the world of e-ink devices. Could backlghting be THAT important?
heu... in direct contradiction to the poster above me, No. not for me, at all. actually i hate the backlighting and wish i could turn it off completely (i am one of those souls who actually *does* stare into a screen for hours, every day, for my work, and my poor eyes are really tired at the end of it). luckily i can turn it down quite low, enough not to really bother me, but it's still noticeable. and with the backlight reduced so much, the display suffers, because the contrast must be ajusted to compensate so i lose a bit of detail. to be honest i don't even really want a "frontlight" or whatever (although i wouldn't refuse it), because i find it much more comfortable to read in ambiant light with a lamp, than in a dark room (horrible eye strain, that).

i don't know what an OLPC screen is but if i interpret correctly and it can switch between backlit and reflective display, then great ! why not. if the quality / resolution etc. is good.

actually i actively covet an e-ink screen, and if ETI does not make one soon (within probably 1 to 2 years, or whatever time it takes for the next generation of e-ink readers to come out *or* the price to drop significantly) i will buy a Gen3 ; what i love about my eb1150 is not the backlight, it's the buttons .