Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 03-10-2014, 02:08 PM   #1
jswinden
Nameless Being

iOS 7.1 released

iOS 7.1 has been released. Installing now.

According to Mac Rumors:

Quote:
Accessibility has been improved with a new "Button Shapes" option that indicates where tappable areas are located, a "Darken Colors" option, and an enhancement to Contrast allowing users to reduce iOS 7’s white point.

A multitude of minor improvements to enhance the performance of the operating system have also been bundled into the update, such as new bounce animations in Control Center, more prominent buttons in the Music app, and a new event list view within the Calendar app. Full release notes are as follows:

CarPlay
- iOS experience designed for the car
- Simply connect your iPhone to a CarPlay enabled vehicle
- Supports Phone, Music, Maps, Messages, and 3rd-party audio apps
- Control with Siri and the car's touchscreen, knobs, and buttons

Siri
- Manually control when Siri listens by holding down the home button while you speak and releasing it when you're done as an alternative to letting Siri automatically notice when you stop talking
- New, more natural sounding male and female voices for Mandarin Chinese, UK English, Australian English, and Japanese

iTunes Radio
- Search field above Featured Stations to easily create stations based on your favorite artist or song
- Buy albums with the tap of a button from Now Playing
- Subscribe to iTunes Match on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch to enjoy iTunes Radio ad-free

Calendar
- Option to display events in month view
- Country specific holidays automatically added for many countries

Accessibility
- Bold font option now includes the keyboard, calculator, and many icon glyphs
- Reduce Motion option now includes Weather, Messages, and multitasking UI animations
- New options to display button shapes, darken app colors, and reduce white point

Other
- New Camera setting to automatically enable HDR for iPhone 5s
- iCloud Keychain support in additional countries
- FaceTime call notifications are automatically cleared when you answer a call on another device
- Fixes a bug that could occasionally cause a home screen crash
- Improves Touch ID fingerprint recognition
- Improved performance for iPhone 4
- Fixes display of Mail unread badge for numbers greater than 10,000
- Continued user interface refinements

The update officially disables the evasi0n iOS 7 jailbreak, patching key kernel exploits.

Last edited by jswinden; 03-10-2014 at 02:11 PM.
Old 03-10-2014, 02:14 PM   #2
JTravers
Groupie
JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JTravers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air 2
Looking forward to installing this when I get home. Hopefully, it will put an end to the all too frequent springboard crashes.
JTravers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 02:36 PM   #3
jswinden
Nameless Being

Native apps like Reminders, Notes, Contacts, Mail, etc. still have all that crappy white background. Note to Ivy, "You suck at software development!" The fonts do look bolder though. I haven't had time to check out any other changes or fixes.
Old 03-10-2014, 04:15 PM   #4
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Looking forward to a snappier iPhone 4 when I get around to installing this!
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 04:41 PM   #5
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
I'm installing it on my iPad, but keeping it away from my iPod and iPhone due to the jailbreak. I haven't had any of the problems others are having otherwise.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 04:43 PM   #6
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Native apps like Reminders, Notes, Contacts, Mail, etc. still have all that crappy white background. Note to Ivy, "You suck at software development!" The fonts do look bolder though. I haven't had time to check out any other changes or fixes.
It is a slightly duller white though, when you turn on Reduce White Point. I like the option to put darkened shapes around clickable text (Button Shapes).

ETA: I have a 2014 Honda CRV and am trying not to get my hopes up that the new CarPlay will hook up to it. Please, please, please. Probably won't work. (iPhone updating now and I'll find out that I'm out of luck soon.)

Last edited by Synamon; 03-10-2014 at 04:48 PM.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 05:36 PM   #7
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synamon View Post
It is a slightly duller white though, when you turn on Reduce White Point. I like the option to put darkened shapes around clickable text (Button Shapes).

ETA: I have a 2014 Honda CRV and am trying not to get my hopes up that the new CarPlay will hook up to it. Please, please, please. Probably won't work. (iPhone updating now and I'll find out that I'm out of luck soon.)
Yes, the duller white looks like it does when you turn the light down. I like the button shape too. My 2012 Toyota Prius c doesn't directly use Carplay, but it does allow my iPhone 5 to connect and provide data for Toyota's apps. I wish it would do CarPlay though as Toyota's apps are lame and I prefer the iOS maps to my car's built in navigation system. On the plus side though, as soon as I get in the car it recognizes and connects to my iPhone 5 via BT which allows me to have hands free phone/texting and music from my iPhone played through the car's stereo system.

Last edited by jswinden; 03-10-2014 at 05:39 PM.
Old 03-10-2014, 05:45 PM   #8
jswinden
Nameless Being

Just for grins I installed 7.1 on the iPad mini Retina via WiFi and on my iPhone 5 via USB cable connection. Both took about the same amount of time--I'm guessing a good 15 minutes or more. After 7.1 installs, the first time you connect via USB cable to iTunes you will be asked to trust your computer as an iTunes connection point which requires you to click yes on the computer and within the iThingie. You also have to reauthorize WiFi syncing with iTunes if you had it set before.

Go to Settings --> General --> Accessibility to set Larger Text, Button Shapes, and Increase Contrast options.

Last edited by jswinden; 03-10-2014 at 05:48 PM.
Old 03-10-2014, 06:04 PM   #9
jswinden
Nameless Being

Apple has launched a new web page showing what is new in iOS 7.1.

A good youtube video of the changes:

Last edited by jswinden; 04-09-2014 at 10:52 AM.
Old 03-10-2014, 07:04 PM   #10
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Yes, the duller white looks like it does when you turn the light down. I like the button shape too. My 2012 Toyota Prius c doesn't directly use Carplay, but it does allow my iPhone 5 to connect and provide data for Toyota's apps. I wish it would do CarPlay though as Toyota's apps are lame and I prefer the iOS maps to my car's built in navigation system. On the plus side though, as soon as I get in the car it recognizes and connects to my iPhone 5 via BT which allows me to have hands free phone/texting and music from my iPhone played through the car's stereo system.
I plugged my phone in, but it looks like there's no change for me. My existing system already does voice dialing and will read text messages and directions for me and plays music/audiobooks over Bluetooth, but it sure would have been nice to use Siri instead of the buttons and to be able to send texts. Oh well, maybe Honda will do an update later on.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 09:12 PM   #11
MeSue
Geek in the Forest
MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MeSue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Air, iPhone 4s, Nexus 7
One of the first things I did was turn on button shapes, but I hate the way it underlines clickable text everywhere. How button shapes translates to underlining everything clickable is beyond me! It looks horrible! I've turned the button shapes off already.

However my iPad Air has not rebooted since installing it, so that's good at least. Autocorrect is still FUBAR.
MeSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 09:36 PM   #12
jswinden
Nameless Being

I turn off autocorrect as soon as I get a new device. Autocorrect is just nuts and corrects even correct words! It does make for funny messages people post online though.
Old 03-10-2014, 11:04 PM   #13
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
Wonder if stanza is still hanging in there
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 12:49 AM   #14
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
I got an extra Gig of free memory after installing this release. Which is great as was running low.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 02:03 PM   #15
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Supposedly iPhone 4 performance is improved. Can someone tell me if 7.1 runs better than previous 7.xx on iPad 3 (first retina iPad). Thanks

(I am not touching it til there's a jailbreak)
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote