Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-06-2012, 06:30 PM   #1
wildcolor
Enthusiast
wildcolor has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitywildcolor has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitywildcolor has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitywildcolor has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitywildcolor has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitywildcolor has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitywildcolor has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitywildcolor has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitywildcolor has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitywildcolor has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitywildcolor has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Device: kindle 4nt
how to enable USBnetwork in k4nt

I have tried to read the wiki K4 index page many times, but I can't find an answer.

After I install the usbnetwork in my K4NT. How do I suppose to active/enable it????? Because in K4, there is no keyboard. However do I type in things "shift N" like in DX to enable the usbnetwork?
wildcolor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 06:52 PM   #2
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Tır
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
okay. assuming you read the README

and you were SUPER CONFIDENT you understood it.

and you had also read https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...&postcount=262

you may notice that it can be enabled by default. of course if you messed it up... well...

YOU WOULD BE STUCK

EDIT (made that clearer before I answer the I AM STUCK! thread)

I take no part in that section of the process... I would politely ask Niluje the Author of the work - on the RELEVANT thread - If he had any advice for this particular corner case.

And - assuming he thought you had taken the time to research the problem yourself.
like reading the docs he painstakingly types out and constantly updates : )

I have no doubt he would offer help - time allowing.

: )

Hope that helps.

Last edited by twobob; 12-06-2012 at 06:55 PM.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 12:20 AM   #3
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
There's no keyboard, true, but there's a keyboard key that'll pop up a virtual keyboard. Do this form the home screen, and you'll be able to enter stuff in the search bar like on any other Kindle .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2012, 12:31 AM   #4
twobob
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

ah. yeah. duh. you have tried enabling it via the search bar ?

*note to self* not a "given"
Old 12-08-2012, 08:20 AM   #5
wildcolor
Enthusiast
wildcolor has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitywildcolor has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitywildcolor has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitywildcolor has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitywildcolor has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitywildcolor has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitywildcolor has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitywildcolor has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitywildcolor has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitywildcolor has become a pillar of the MobileRead communitywildcolor has become a pillar of the MobileRead community

Thanks. That is exactly the "DIRECT" answer to my question.

But, yes. I have tried to use the search bar as segguested in the doc. But, there is nothing on the screen that can confirm me what I did (no pop-up window, no warning).

Also, in the doc, it didn't say what things I would see, nor what button I should press after inputing the keywords (;debugOn for example). So, I just typed in ";debugOn", then on the "keyboard" I pressed "the confrim button".

Then nothing happens. I still see the search bar, with 6 buttons below it. (search my items; search kindle store; search google; ........ go to web.

Do I suppose to get anything on the kindle screen after I put "~usbNetwork"? If it is successfully turned on usbNetwork, what can I do to use the VNC viewer? Do I still need to go to ENABLE_DIAGS mode?.....
Old 12-08-2012, 09:50 AM   #6
twobob

is it ;debugOn or ~debugOn on the 4? I don't know

Then one would type ~usbNetwork (or ;usbNetwork)

you are mixing your prefixes for a start. it is either ; or ~ (no 4 can't check)

About DIAGS: NO! diags is totally separate to anything to actually "do" with the networking. although it does have a section for networking in it. (which is what I originally thought you were talking about)

"DIRECT" answer to my question(s):
Spoiler:
Mate. I don't mean to be rude but "DIRECT" answer to my question. The most direct answer has been given over and over, read the docs and the wiki on the subject, that info is straight from the docs and bunch of threads / wiki entries on the subject. (heh, no surprise there, Niluje wrote the docs) and yes I know you say you read them for days.... well there are plenty of days worth of info in there... Seriously I would give them another look over (and I did) because it reads like you still could benefit from looking over the docs - given your new found knowledge.

Hawhill has provided extensive guides (before) about enabling Kvncviewer (on the thread and elsewhere) as have I and others (it's a popular app) hence my personal reticence to type it all out again everytime someone asks the same question. I can possibly dredge up one of those links once you actually manage to start your usbnetworking

So. Things to find out: is it a ~ or a ; on a 4...

(I thought it was ; but I may be wrong, I'm going to type ; from now on)

you could run a ;dm (dumpmessages?) to grab some logs and check the debugOn is working (I think that is right)

assuming it was a ; you would type ( in the search bar)

;debugon
;usbnetwork
;debugoff

That should initiate the process. then you would try to connect.
Old 12-08-2012, 10:43 AM   #7
wildcolor
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
is it ;debugOn or ~debugOn on the 4? I don't know

Then one would type ~usbNetwork (or ;usbNetwork)

you are mixing your prefixes for a start. it is either ; or ~ (no 4 can't check)

About DIAGS: NO! diags is totally separate to anything to actually "do" with the networking. although it does have a section for networking in it. (which is what I originally thought you were talking about)

"DIRECT" answer to my question(s):
Spoiler:
Mate. I don't mean to be rude but "DIRECT" answer to my question. The most direct answer has been given over and over, read the docs and the wiki on the subject, that info is straight from the docs and bunch of threads / wiki entries on the subject. (heh, no surprise there, Niluje wrote the docs) and yes I know you say you read them for days.... well there are plenty of days worth of info in there... Seriously I would give them another look over (and I did) because it reads like you still could benefit from looking over the docs - given your new found knowledge.

Hawhill has provided extensive guides (before) about enabling Kvncviewer (on the thread and elsewhere) as have I and others (it's a popular app) hence my personal reticence to type it all out again everytime someone asks the same question. I can possibly dredge up one of those links once you actually manage to start your usbnetworking

So. Things to find out: is it a ~ or a ; on a 4...

(I thought it was ; but I may be wrong, I'm going to type ; from now on)

you could run a ;dm (dumpmessages?) to grab some logs and check the debugOn is working (I think that is right)

assuming it was a ; you would type ( in the search bar)

;debugon
;usbnetwork
;debugoff

That should initiate the process. then you would try to connect.
Thanks for the response, mate. I have been trying to do this in the last 4 days since I got this K4NT. Now, actually feel very frustrated.

I am confused with the difference between the installed usbnetwork and the Enable USBnet in the Diags mode. What do they do respectively?

I am going to read all the docs again. But only the usbnetwork doc is difficult enough for me. Because it is for Linux users and it mentioned about K4 but didn't say exactly what I should do for the K4 either.

About the ; or ~

this is what I got in the readme_first.txt doc.............

* You'll need to be in debug mode to run private commands, so, on the Home screen, bring up the
search bar (by hitting [DEL] on devices with a keyboard, or the keyboard key on a K4, for example), and enter:

;debugOn

* And now we can enable usbnet:

~usbNetwork

(Or `usbNetwork on FW 2.x)

* Your Kindle should now be detected as something like a RNDIS/Ethernet Gadget or CDC Ethernet Device network adapter.

* If you don't need to enter any more private commands, switch debug off.

;debugOff
Old 12-08-2012, 10:51 AM   #8
wildcolor
Enthusiast

and last question. Let's say if it works. How do I connect? According to the readme_first.txt, do we need to go back to Diags mode and use SSH? This comes back to my "network error, connection refused error" again.... I want to cry
Old 12-08-2012, 11:51 AM   #9
twobob

jeebers. TBH I am at a bit of a loss. The K4 really is the "lost generation" huh.

If that is what the docs say? then maybe that is right (oddness!) Niluje knows more about this than anyone. I am simply misquoting docs that have - or have not - passed under my nose.

For the puposes of running the vncViewer and hooking it up to your machine? forget the diags. there are plenty of docs on what it is for. not this.

Having only ever connected with Windows once ever to a kindle (which just "worked" might I add) I can't be much use there.

Attach Kindle to windows laptop. Found device. Searches for driver, installs driver.

open networking - set an ip (that matches the usbnet config and is on the same subnet as my kindles usbnet config setup for the kindle)

like say 192.168.2.100 and 192.168.2.1

unplug kindle

(on a 3)
~debugon
~usbnetwork
~debugoff

plug back in kindle

open putty
ssh root@192.168.2.100 (the kindles ip)
press enter for password.

Logged in.

That's what I did IIRC. nothing but the JB, the usbnetworking and a windows laptop.
About a month ago.?

HTH

You are really confusing me with this whole ENABLE DIAGSs thing - have you actually installed usbnetworking or some sort of ssh-for-Diags package??

In fact I'm gonna just go read the readme myself right now.
Old 12-08-2012, 11:53 AM   #10
twobob

hmm...

Quote:
This hack, based on ebs' code, restores `usbNetwork functionality.
If you don't know what that means, then you probably shouldn't even be trying to use this.

If you don't understand half of what's written here, see the previous paragraph.

As always, it may void your warranty, eat your Kindle, kill a kitten, and sell your first
born's soul to the devil.

I *strongly* recommend having a proper Linux CLI sysadmin background before trying to use this,
or you *WILL* probably end up messing your Kindle up. Do *NOT* do anything with this unless
your are *REALLY* sure you understand what you're doing.

=== Install/Uninstall ===

Nothing fancy, as usual, with a jailbroken Kindle, just use the appropriate update file.

=== Usage ===

I'm gonna assume Linux/BSD/OS X here, Windows people, you're on your own.
not an encouraging start for you

*reading on*

Quote:
* Take a moment to read, and edit, if need be, the config file in usbnet/etc/config.
In case you managed to miss the shiny warnings there: this *HAS* to use UNIX line endings,
(did you check that you didn't mangle the file?)

Quote:
(Note to K4 users: I'd recommend you to set USE_VOLUMD to true, it's known to make things much smoother on the K4).
you did that too?

Quote:
The pubkeys are stored, in OpenSSH format, in usbnet/etc/authorized_keys (ie. you can safely use a ~/.ssh/authorized_keys2 file from OpenSSH).
and you made your keys and installed them...

Quote:
;debugOn
(or ~ on the 3) so you should be okay with the ;
Quote:
* Your Kindle should now be detected as something like a RNDIS/Ethernet Gadget or CDC Ethernet Device network adapter.
well is it?

Quote:
If you're also using a Kindle Touch or a Kindle 4 in diags
you aren't - moving on...

Quote:
$ ssh root@192.168.2.2
(you will use Putty or something instead)
or

$ telnet 192.168.2.2

Note that, when WiFi mode is enabled, telnetd won't be started, and the SSH daemon *WILL* require a proper password!
When WiFi mode is disabled, telnet will log you right in without password, and SSH will log you in with anything as the password (even a blank one, so you can just type return).

* Like I said at the beginning, if you don't understand half of what you're doing here, go away before you brick your Kindle.
It's for your own good.
but you arent being asked for a password... so..

have you tried telneting for the PC (windows can install telnet natively IIRC) - the docs say you can

have you port scanned the kindle - is 22 open???

etc. etc. All stuff that you can do from a windows box .

: )
hth

Last edited by twobob; 12-08-2012 at 12:07 PM.
Old 12-08-2012, 12:51 PM   #11
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
It is indeed ;debugOn => ~usbNetwork => ;debugOff on the K4 (and, yeah, you enter with the 'Enter' virtual key, NOT the 'Done' one) .

Unless you enabled verbose mode, nope, there won't be any feedback (except maybe the battery icon switching to the 'charging' icon for a short while).

If you're using the latest version, USE_VOLUMD should default to true by default on the K4 .

That leaves us with the first answers you were given: check your network settings, and use the appropriate IPs. (The defaults are what's written in the doc).
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 01:47 PM   #12
wildcolor
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
It is indeed ;debugOn => ~usbNetwork => ;debugOff on the K4 (and, yeah, you enter with the 'Enter' virtual key, NOT the 'Done' one) .

Unless you enabled verbose mode, nope, there won't be any feedback (except maybe the battery icon switching to the 'charging' icon for a short while).

If you're using the latest version, USE_VOLUMD should default to true by default on the K4 .

That leaves us with the first answers you were given: check your network settings, and use the appropriate IPs. (The defaults are what's written in the doc).

OMFG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That's it. Because of the 'Enter' thing!!!!!! And now usbnetwork works. Although, I still have a lot to learn about this, but it finally works!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! thank you so so so so soooooooooooooooo much
Old 12-09-2012, 02:11 PM   #13
wildcolor
Enthusiast

Introduction:
OK. I do not know how I can thank you guys. I wanted to buy some booz for you guys, but I don't even know where you guys are and how much you could drink.

Background:
But, I actually found I could only understand about 60% of what you guys told me. I think that's probably not only because I am not a native English speaker, but I also am a total noob in Kindle Development & in linux. So, I decided to write a "simple-&-easy-to-be-understandable" tutorial of how to enable USBnetwork & VNCviewer for a noob like me for the K4NT in plain English.

OK. this note is for Kindle 4 non touchable (bought in December 2012, silver version) with Firmware 4.1.0. My operation system is win7 32bit.

Method:
1> Follow wiki to jailbreak the device. Using the Universal method.
2> install USBnetwork. (download from this giant thread). Just exact the file and find the version for K4. copy to kindle root. Then in kindle, select "update".
3> (using notepad++) modify kindle/usbnet/etc/config set host_ip to 192.168.15.201 and set kindle_ip to 192.168.15.244 (this kindle ip is very important. the 244 is for us K4. Yes, our K4 ends with 244.)
4> 'add ENABLE_DIAGS' to kindle root and restart kindle.
5> go to the menu and 'Enable USBnet'. From here, the win7 can detect and install a driver for the new device.
5.5> in WIKI, after step 5, it says you can do putty. But I never succeeded from the diags step. So, I gave up in the step 5.5. Most important thing at step 5 is to install the driver.
6> in Win7, setup the network connection's IPv4 address to 192.168.15.201
7> find and install a vnc server in WIN7. and allow it to 'accept incoming connections' from 5901
8> reboot kindle with usb UNconnected. Go to menu-> search -> keyboard and type in ;debugOn then the 'virtual enter' key NOT THE DONE key. then also type in ~usbNetwork with enter and ;debugOff with enter
9> now, run putty from win7 with a host address of 192.168.15.244
10> username is root, password is mario
11> in putty. do 'cd/' to get to root directory. then do 'cd/mnt/us/kindlevncviewer'
12> in putty. do './kvncviewer.sh 192.168.15.201:1'

Result:
13> Now, you will see your kindle displays the topleft part of your screen (0,0) to (600,800).

Acknowledgement:
I really really want to thank all the guys that have tried to replied my questions, even my questions are the highest-ranked-nooby ones and I could feel that these guys got really annoyed by them and maybe couldn't put up with them already. These guys are: twobob, geekmaster, knc1 and NiLuJe. I also want to thank for the developers like hawhill and others who spent endless time to make these nice things for us and for a better world.

Last edited by wildcolor; 07-22-2013 at 01:19 PM.
Old 12-09-2012, 08:02 PM   #14
twobob

10> username is root, password is mario

password is blank. (I think) anything would do IIRC. You can prevent the need by setting up your keys (authorized_keys) this is the "recommended" way if I remember Nilujes opinion correctly (I use this method too)

Other than that. Glad you got it sorted, thanks for the guide.
One day I may get a chance to test/use it
Old 12-10-2012, 06:32 AM   #15
SN3AKYf0x
SN3AKYf0x knows the square root of minus one.SN3AKYf0x knows the square root of minus one.SN3AKYf0x knows the square root of minus one.SN3AKYf0x knows the square root of minus one.SN3AKYf0x knows the square root of minus one.SN3AKYf0x knows the square root of minus one.SN3AKYf0x knows the square root of minus one.SN3AKYf0x knows the square root of minus one.SN3AKYf0x knows the square root of minus one.SN3AKYf0x knows the square root of minus one.SN3AKYf0x knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Kindle K5NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
I'm up the this virtual enter key thing and for the life of me i cannot figure out what it is or where to find it, to my knowledge my kindle jail broke fine and i managed to update with USBnet fine aswell, but this virtual enter thing is absolutely doing my head in, can someone tell me where to look I've been at this for the past 10 hours just trying to change my screensaver, any help whatsoever would be appreciated.
inb4 its right in front of me and i feel like a idiot
SN3AKYf0x is offline   Reply With Quote