Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-25-2010, 02:14 PM   #1
crutledge
eBook FANatic
crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP ipac RX5915 Wife's Kindle
Ghost Books on Kindle 1st Gen

I acquired a second Kindle 1st Gen in a trade. My wife has had one for over a year. We registered on the wife's Amazon Account, as her Second Kindle, and Amazon immediately downloaded all of her stored books. However, none can be opened and only show up in the Content Manager Menu. When the Home button is pressed, these books do not show. Only those prc books I loaded. These ghost titles can be selected in the Content Manager Menu but the delete selection is shadowed out.

When I connect the USB, two directories show up.
One has the following Folders:
Audible
Documents
Ebooks
Music
All of these folders are empty.

The second directory has the following folders:
Audible
Documents
Music
The Documents Folder shows all books I downloaded. I have inserted a 4GB SD Card and loaded all books to it. I assume that the second directory is for the SD Card.

If the SD Card is removed the Kindle shows Nothing to Display.

I have tried to delete, move to SD Card, Kindle Reset, and removing and replacing the Battery.

So we're down to my question:
How do I rid myself of these damnable ghost books?
Any and all Ideas will be tried and appreciated.

Charlie
crutledge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 02:34 PM   #2
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
Have you tried a hard reset? With the paperclip?
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-25-2010, 03:19 PM   #3
crutledge
eBook FANatic
crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crutledge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
Have you tried a hard reset? With the paperclip?
Sure have.
Old 04-25-2010, 04:30 PM   #4
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I haven't played with my K1 in a while, but I think you have to actually click on a book on the Content Manager to get it to actually download onto the K1, before you can open it. It gives you an option like "put on home page" if I remember arightly.

And yes - a K1 with a card shows up as 2 drives when you hook it up to your PC.
Old 04-25-2010, 04:37 PM   #5
joobies
Addict
joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 1, Sony PRS-505
As I understand your problem, you have Amazon content in the Content Manager folder that you do not want.... at all.

Sad fact is that the only way to rid that content from the Content Manager is to delete the items individually through your wifes' Amazon Account. Which would also delete them from her Content Manager on her Kindle.

If you want any of them transferred into your readable Kindle, either in SD memory or Kindle memory, you would need to hightlight them in Content Manager and "move" to SD memory or Kindle memory.

Does that help at all? Or, did I misunderstand your issue.

Books transferred from Amazon will go into your Kindle memory document folder.... unless you physically transfer them through Content Manager into your SD card document folder.

Good luck
joobies is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-25-2010, 04:43 PM   #6
joobies
Addict
joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.joobies once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 1, Sony PRS-505
Looks like PoohBear and I were posting at the same time.

I had another thought....
I believe that .azw books must originate from Amazon in order to be readable on the Kindle. ie; If you have .azw on Calibre and try to move them into a document folder on the kindle, I don't think you can open them.

UNLESS, you have successfully removed the drm.

So, before you remove all content from your wifes Amazon Account....
you may wish to make a few test cases to insure you have drm files included.

Once content is removed from Amazon Account, it must be repurchased.
joobies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 06:18 PM   #7
vaughnmr
Ebook Reader
vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, HTC Evo, HTC View
Quote:
Originally Posted by crutledge View Post
We registered on the wife's Amazon Account, as her Second Kindle, and Amazon immediately downloaded all of her stored books. However, none can be opened and only show up in the Content Manager Menu.
This just sounds odd to me, although I don't have a second Kindle on my account. Did you say Amazon automatically downloaded all the books to the new Kindle? Without you telling it to? Doesn't sound right. Did you try to manually download a book and see if you could open it? Amazon's customer service is the best there is, so if you can't figure it out, give them a chance.
vaughnmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2010, 06:24 PM   #8
vaughnmr
Ebook Reader
vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Oh! I just thought of something... If you look in Content Manager, look below the book title, if it say "Amazon" in black, that means it's on the Amazon server, not your Kindle. If it shows "SD" or "Kindle", it's actually on the Kindle or memory card and you CAN read it. If it says "Amazon" you will need to download it. Probably what you saw was the list on the Amazon server of the books your wife had bought!

Last edited by vaughnmr; 04-25-2010 at 06:28 PM.
Old 04-25-2010, 06:29 PM   #9
poohbear_nc
Now what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughnmr View Post
Oh! I just thought of something... If you look in Content Manager, look below the book title, if it say "Amazon" in black, that means it's on the Amazon server, not your Kindle. If it shows "SD" or "Kindle", it's actually on the Kindle or memory card and you CAN read it. If it says "Amazon" you will need to download it. Probably what you saw was the list on the Amazon server of the books your wife had bought!
Exactly what I was trying to remember - you can see the list - but you have to download them 1 by 1.
Old 04-25-2010, 06:52 PM   #10
vaughnmr
Ebook Reader

Actually, he can go to the Amazon web site, and under his account (or his wife's, whatever) he can have Amazon "Whispernet send" all or any of the books he wants added to the second Kindle. What he was seeing was the total list that Amazon maintains of the books on the account on their server, a "backup" so to speak.
Old 04-25-2010, 06:58 PM   #11
cheerio6414
Addict
cheerio6414 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2
I love whispernet
cheerio6414 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2010, 09:53 AM   #12
crutledge
eBook FANatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughnmr View Post
After the 3rd Restart and following your directions, everything is now working.

Many thanks
Charlie