Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-29-2010, 08:37 PM   #1
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
Using Dropbox with Kindle wifi

I often use a Dropbox account to share ebooks, files and photos with family and friends. The really cool thing is that on the K3, you can easily access your dropbox account via the browser and download ebooks directly onto your Kindle. One could even share a Calibre library residing on Dropbox. Check it out.

https://www.dropbox.com/

Since Box.net works similarly, I would assume that it might work as well. Has anyone tried this idea?
Leep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 08:46 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Yep. I had my library there for a while, but it took an amazing amount of space.....but it was a great 'backup' idea, I think. Think I"ll put it back...great suggestion, Leep.

Not a big fan of box.net.....they keep spamming me with "upgrade now!" emails.

Dropbox, on the other hand, is just always ......there.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-29-2010, 08:53 PM   #3
TomF
Kindle Enthusiast
TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 3G Graphite, Kindle Fire
And if you want to create an account at Dropbox, click on this link and we both get more free storage!

Last edited by TomF; 09-30-2010 at 08:22 PM. Reason: Corrected link
TomF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 08:56 PM   #4
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomF View Post
And if you want to create an account at Dropbox, click on this link and we both get more free storage!
Now that's very clever. I've only badgered friends and family to sign up with my link to get more space. You'll have tons of extra free space in no time.

cheers
Old 09-29-2010, 08:58 PM   #5
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leep View Post
Now that's very clever. I've only badgered friends and family to sign up with my link to get more space.

cheers
Yes.....you only want to 'share' with someone you know and trust.
Advert
Old 09-29-2010, 09:02 PM   #6
Leep
Guru

True, but he can get folks to sign up for a new account without giving them access to his account or folders. That way he gets extra space no matter who they are as long as they use the link he provided to get a new dropbox account.

cheers
Old 09-29-2010, 09:09 PM   #7
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....

Quote:
True, but he can get folks to sign up for a new account without giving them access to his account or folders. That way he gets extra space no matter who they are as long as they use the link he provided to get a new dropbox account.

cheers
Very informative. Thanks.
Old 09-29-2010, 09:27 PM   #8
tarke9891
Enthusiast
tarke9891 doesn't littertarke9891 doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3 3G
Wow, I have been using dropbox for my stuff i get off Gutenberg.com and manybooks.net at work and then caming home and putting it in the calibre library. Thank you for the idea and the testing of it. I am very happy i found this forum.
tarke9891 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 10:19 PM   #9
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
I often use a Dropbox account to share ebooks, files and photos with family and friends. The really cool thing is that on the K3, you can easily access your dropbox account via the browser and download ebooks directly onto your Kindle. One could even share a Calibre library residing on Dropbox. Check it out.

https://www.dropbox.com/

Since Box.net works similarly, I would assume that it might work as well. Has anyone tried this idea?
I was able to get K3 to work with my PogoPlug as well.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 10:25 PM   #10
Francesco
Aficionado
Francesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enough

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Touch
I used to use my "clever" dropbox/calibre combo with my PB360, but now I simply email stuff to my kindle email address and it gets synced automatically whenever I connect to a wifi network.
I love the kindle!
Francesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 10:34 PM   #11
paperwastage
Groupie
paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.paperwastage is no ebook tyro.

Device: kindle DX Graphite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesco View Post
I used to use my "clever" dropbox/calibre combo with my PB360, but now I simply email stuff to my kindle email address and it gets synced automatically whenever I connect to a wifi network.
I love the kindle!
unless you have the great and mighty (well, not so mighty in this case) DX Graphite which doesn't have wifi

and you cant download PDFs via the browser...

so i'm forced to sync with my desktop in the morning, and bring my cable around to the library if my professor assigns something on pdf to read
paperwastage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 10:34 PM   #12
TomF
Kindle Enthusiast
TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 3G Graphite, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Thanks to Spider Matt!
TomF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 07:59 AM   #13
dougef
dougef began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
Quote:
I clicked your link and got "invalid referral code".
dougef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 02:16 PM   #14
scott h
scott h began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
It's possible his link is now maxed out. Drop box has a limit to the amount of free space you can get from referrals.

Here is a link that works if his continues not to work. I don't want to take his idea, so use his first, but mine works right now if his doesn't.
scott h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 02:24 PM   #15
karthwyne
Connoisseur
karthwyne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.karthwyne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.karthwyne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.karthwyne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.karthwyne has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Wifi, Kindle US
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott h View Post
It's possible his link is now maxed out. Drop box has a limit to the amount of free space you can get from referrals.

Here is a link that works if his continues not to work. I don't want to take his idea, so use his first, but mine works right now if his doesn't.
And here is mine if his stops...

On a slightly different note, students can double their rates
Quote:
Valid for previous referrals too!!!

Dropbox is making the transition back to school easy by giving everyone with an .edu email address double the credit for referrals. That's 500 MB per friend you invite! That goes for everyone you've already referred too.

You need to log in and verify your .edu email address by clicking on the emailed link. All the referrals (previous or new) get 500 MB credits instead of the usual 250 MB.
karthwyne is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, dropbox, kindle, share ebooks