Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 09-24-2015, 09:19 AM   #31
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by RHWright View Post
Thoughts?
Assuming B&N is completely EPUB and un-DRM-ed, you might not need to convert anything. In that case, using Calibre to upload to a Kobo device may be enough.

My entire library is standardized on EPUB; I'm even going so far as to either extract an EPUB, or convert to EPUB when buying books from Amazon, and using the result as the starting default in my library.

After I've made an EPUB file perfect (metadata, layout, cover, etc) I don't touch it anymore, and convert to the format of the reader I'm using. In this case it's a Kindle Paperwhite 1, so I'm converting to AZW3, and this is working without a hitch. (On a Kobo device, I'd convert to either KEPUB, or upload the EPUB directly.)

I've never owned a Nook or a Kobo, but if you are working with normal, un-DRM-ed EPUB's, a Kindle is a good option if you're not against converting. A Kobo will also work, and offer you more layout options, but it has the reputation of being somewhat buggier occasionally.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 12:27 PM   #32
thatworkshop
hub
thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thatworkshop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3G, DXG, Kobo mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonist View Post
I really hope Amazon comes up with a 7", or better, 8" screen -- I personally find the reading experience more immersive with a larger screen.
To be honest, a 7+ inch Voyage 2 is a show stopper for me, but I am guessing Amazon will implement it as it seems the first desire customers have now.
I guess I'm saying this because I have a DXG but I hope Amazon retains a V2 variant still at 6 inch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonist View Post
I have never had another reader fail, and most (especially the DXGs) I have subjected to rather extreme conditions (hot and humid salt sea air on one end and freezing high altitude on the other). The DXGs are 9.7" devices.
I would like to hear what story you have about DXG. Please share. Thanks.

Last edited by thatworkshop; 10-11-2015 at 12:32 PM.
thatworkshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert