Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-28-2023, 04:34 AM   #1
Kaetrin
Connoisseur
Kaetrin can eat soup with a fork.Kaetrin can eat soup with a fork.Kaetrin can eat soup with a fork.Kaetrin can eat soup with a fork.Kaetrin can eat soup with a fork.Kaetrin can eat soup with a fork.Kaetrin can eat soup with a fork.Kaetrin can eat soup with a fork.Kaetrin can eat soup with a fork.Kaetrin can eat soup with a fork.Kaetrin can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Convert a PDF via Amazon then add to Calibre

When I get a(n evil) PDF for review, in the past I'd send it to kindle to convert it to AZW3 then download it to my kindle, transfer it to my Calibre library via Add to Library and then convert it to epub for reading on my Kobo (which is my preferred device). I only have a kindle for conversion purposes (it's an old one).
When I tried to do that today, the document turned up in a different format - KFX instead of the usual AZW3. Does anyone know how I can get the book into an AZW3 format instead?

(Alternatively, any suggestions for a decent conversion to epub from PDF? The native Calibre one is bad.)
Kaetrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2023, 08:44 AM   #2
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
It's a special fixed layout KFX and you can usually only convert PDFs to fixed layout AZW.

Also you are giving Amazon a copy. Some suppliers of ARCs won't allow that.

Either convert the PDF in Word or LO Writer to docx (not simple) and convert to epub or else just put the PDF on the Kobo.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-28-2023, 10:01 AM   #3
slm
Fool
slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle PW1, Kobo Glo HD, Nook Glowlight Plus ...
Microsoft Word does a pretty good job converting PDF to docx, particularly documents that started life in Word, of course.
slm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2023, 05:42 PM   #4
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaetrin View Post
When I get a(n evil) PDF for review, in the past I'd send it to kindle to convert it to AZW3 then download it to my kindle, transfer it to my Calibre library via Add to Library and then convert it to epub for reading on my Kobo (which is my preferred device). I only have a kindle for conversion purposes (it's an old one).
When I tried to do that today, the document turned up in a different format - KFX instead of the usual AZW3. Does anyone know how I can get the book into an AZW3 format instead?

(Alternatively, any suggestions for a decent conversion to epub from PDF? The native Calibre one is bad.)
I assume you are choosing Make layout adjustable in the Send to Kindle options, to have Send to Kindle attempt conversion to Kindle adjustable layout format. In the past this generated AZW3 for Kindle but recently they began sending KFX to newer Kindles.

You can use KFX Input plugin to convert the KFX on your Kindle to ePub. However, you need to use the plugin command line interface to do so; for some reason calibre will not let you add KFX and then convert it as you might have in done with AZW3 in the past.

Click the Spoiler button for Command Line Interface for instructions on how to do so.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...76&postcount=1

There are many other tools to convert PDF to ePub, but the results will vary.

Is your Kobo that bad at reading PDF? that would obviously be a lot less trouble.

Last edited by tomsem; 10-28-2023 at 05:44 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2023, 03:53 AM   #5
Kaetrin
Connoisseur
Kaetrin can eat soup with a fork.Kaetrin can eat soup with a fork.Kaetrin can eat soup with a fork.Kaetrin can eat soup with a fork.Kaetrin can eat soup with a fork.Kaetrin can eat soup with a fork.Kaetrin can eat soup with a fork.Kaetrin can eat soup with a fork.Kaetrin can eat soup with a fork.Kaetrin can eat soup with a fork.Kaetrin can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
thank you all - I have a number of things to try now.
Kaetrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert