Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-21-2023, 12:31 PM   #1
rguion
Zealot
rguion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rguion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rguion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rguion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rguion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rguion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rguion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rguion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rguion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rguion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rguion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Amazon Fall 2023 launch event: No New Kindles!

The Amazon launch event for new devices occurred yesterday - no new Kindles announced! I was hoping for an updated Kindle Oasis.

Perhaps Amazon feels the current set of Kindle devices are enough with no need to update?

Or do most of the current e-book readers read on their phones / tablets rather than a Kindle device?
rguion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2023, 12:51 PM   #2
trekk
Terraner
trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trekk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Aura One, Kindle Oasis 1 & 2 ...
I also had high hopes that a new Kindle Oasis would be released at the event. My disappointment is great ... I would have been satisfied even with a smaller update like USB-C or a slightly better battery.
trekk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-21-2023, 12:57 PM   #3
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
There's a new Fire HD 10, but even that did not get mentioned.

I have to think an 8" Kindle is in the works (Oasis 3 or Scribe Mini) but it wouldn't merit a live launch event. Maybe not until next year though.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2023, 01:12 PM   #4
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
After reading this I have a feeling the Oasis will be discontinued. It's been 4,5 years, far longer than any other time period between upgrades has been.

I'd have been interested in a 8'' Oasis. If Amazon is planning to release a mini Scribe without physical buttons next year or later, I'm not going to buy that. Nor am I interested in any version of the Paperwhite.

Oh well. I'm quite satisfied with my current Kobos, so I'll be able to cope with my disappointment.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2023, 03:18 PM   #5
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
After reading this I have a feeling the Oasis will be discontinued. It's been 4,5 years, far longer than any other time period between upgrades has been.

I'd have been interested in a 8'' Oasis. If Amazon is planning to release a mini Scribe without physical buttons next year or later, I'm not going to buy that. Nor am I interested in any version of the Paperwhite.

Oh well. I'm quite satisfied with my current Kobos, so I'll be able to cope with my disappointment.
A Scribe Mini with buttons would make sense to attract upgrades from Oasis button lovers, and also note-takers who think Scribe is too big.

They would need to abandon the 'ergonomic' design in favor of a 'slab' I think, or it would be too hard to write on.

I do not claim to have a successful track record in predicting what Amazon will do, however.
Advert
Old 09-21-2023, 03:32 PM   #6
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
A Scribe Mini with buttons would make sense to attract upgrades from Oasis button lovers, and also note-takers who think Scribe is too big.

They would need to abandon the 'ergonomic' design in favor of a 'slab' I think, or it would be too hard to write on.

I do not claim to have a successful track record in predicting what Amazon will do, however.
I don't mind "slab", if it has the asymmetrical bezels like the Oasis and the current Scribe (both my Kobos have "slab" backs). Buttons, however, are a must-have for me.

I'm not too sure the Scribe Mini would have buttons. Yes, it would make sense to us customers, but who knows what makes sense to the relevant decision-makers.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2023, 04:38 PM   #7
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
Quote:
Originally Posted by rguion View Post
The Amazon launch event for new devices occurred yesterday - no new Kindles announced! I was hoping for an updated Kindle Oasis.

Perhaps Amazon feels the current set of Kindle devices are enough with no need to update?

Or do most of the current e-book readers read on their phones / tablets rather than a Kindle device?
I think Oasis is obviously dead. Given its been so long. Maybe a scribe 2 will come next year. I think an 8" Oasis would be cool
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2023, 01:17 AM   #8
rguion
Zealot
rguion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rguion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rguion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rguion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rguion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rguion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rguion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rguion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rguion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rguion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rguion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by HLS View Post
I think Oasis is obviously dead. Given its been so long. Maybe a scribe 2 will come next year. I think an 8" Oasis would be cool
If that’s the case, the Paperwhite will be going on for a few more generations? I wonder if Amazon even cares about keeping the Kindle devices going. I would suspect it’s not a growth market?
rguion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2023, 05:57 AM   #9
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Scribe, iPad Pro 11
Yeah that was a disappointing event for readers. I was really hoping for a Scribe Mini with buttons.
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2023, 01:34 PM   #10
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyb View Post
Yeah that was a disappointing event for readers. I was really hoping for a Scribe Mini with buttons.
With the exception of last year's hardware event which included Scribe, Kindles have not been part of these for some time, and it was a mixed bag: it was not nearly feature complete and took some months to deliver the features announced then.

Nor do Kindle releases seem tied to seasonal demand. They come out when they're ready come out with one.
Old 10-24-2023, 09:04 AM   #11
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
I suspect the lack of frequent kindle updates the past getting close to 10 years basically means that the product line is mature and there's no real need to keep updating the hardware and that the product line isn't necessarily making Amazon much money.

I mean, the last two major steps forward were warm frontlight on the Oasis 3 in 2019 and frontlighting on the first Paperwhite in what, 2012?

EDIT: It wouldn't surprise me much if there weren't any major updates until Amazon feels color eInk is "good enough" for mass market adoption.
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2023, 07:07 PM   #12
dedeca
Enthusiast
dedeca is on a distinguished road

Device: PW3 and PW5
Is there any chance that Amazon will add buttons to the next Paperwhite SE and finally make the death of the Oasis official?
dedeca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2023, 07:49 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by binaryhermit View Post
I suspect the lack of frequent kindle updates the past getting close to 10 years basically means that the product line is mature and there's no real need to keep updating the hardware and that the product line isn't necessarily making Amazon much money.

I mean, the last two major steps forward were warm frontlight on the Oasis 3 in 2019 and frontlighting on the first Paperwhite in what, 2012?

EDIT: It wouldn't surprise me much if there weren't any major updates until Amazon feels color eInk is "good enough" for mass market adoption.
You forgot abut the Sage.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2023, 07:50 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dedeca View Post
Is there any chance that Amazon will add buttons to the next Paperwhite SE and finally make the death of the Oasis official?
I hope not. This gives choices.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2023, 07:26 PM   #15
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
Usually e-ink readers aren't released as news during these huge events unless it's something very unique like the final Scribe release, at least not last few years

I also have a feeling the Oasis may sadly be dead in the water.

They may, in the future, make a Scribe/Oasis hybrid with buttons --- but if so, I doubt it would be anytime soon since the Scribe was only released last year. I also like the shape of the Oasis, so would miss it. In addition, with the writing features of the Scribe, they left off the waterproofing that the Oasis has, so not sure what they will do next.
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote