Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-03-2022, 09:58 AM   #1
icebarf
icebarf began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition 11th Generation
Angry Brand new paperwhite stuck in demo mode

Hi all! I have just received my brand new paperwhite signature. After the initial setup of the kindle I turned off the wifi and checked firmware version. There I found out it was 1.14.0.1, I was delighted by this because I could jailbreak my kindle. So I started following the guide at WatchThis Jailbreak. There I put my kindle into demo mode, and then I suddenly realised I'm on a lower firmware version. The zip file did not provide firmware for my device's version.

All the while, my kindle was on charge, and it was around ~91%. Now then I decided to get out of the demo mode by typing ;demo and then resell device. But then it showed me "Shipping Mode Error". It was a long message but in a nutshell, I could not resell my kindle because its battery was too high for shipping.

Now that I have explained my situation, my questions are as follows:

Q1: How much battery percentage till I can reset my kindle?
Q2: Is it possible for me to use 1.14.1 firmware for my 1.14.0.1 kindle?
Q3: Can I update my firmware to 1.14.(1/2) while I'm stuck in demo mode?

Any help will be appreciated!

Also as a side note, my brand new kindle has a very small dead pixel/very bright dot in the middle left of screen. It is pretty unnoticable but it is very annoying to have it on a brand new product. I read some reddit posts and I realised that it was pretty common due to poor amazon quality control. Should I just return my kindle altogether? I feel very annoyed by having a very miniscule fault in the new product I got. What do you guys suggest?
icebarf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 11:59 AM   #2
icebarf

Just pulled out from demo mode!

Hii everyone, Just got an update for you guys. I was able to get it out of demo mode when the battery got below 75% charge. Thanks.
Advert
Old 08-03-2022, 12:19 PM   #3
shamanNS
Guru
shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shamanNS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5 [bricked], Kindle PW1
Try this:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...&postcount=687
shamanNS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 09:32 PM   #4
tekkasit
Groupie
tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tekkasit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, KV, KOA3
First of all, the oldest KPW5 firmware is 5.14.0.1, not "1.14.0.1".

This Jailbreaking method is not a trivial process, and if you didn't ready to bricking the device, don't do it.
tekkasit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2022, 11:18 PM   #5
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by icebarf View Post
Also as a side note, my brand new kindle has a very small dead pixel/very bright dot in the middle left of screen. It is pretty unnoticable but it is very annoying to have it on a brand new product. I read some reddit posts and I realised that it was pretty common due to poor amazon quality control. Should I just return my kindle altogether? I feel very annoyed by having a very miniscule fault in the new product I got. What do you guys suggest?
Good to hear you got it out of demo mode.

If you find that dot annoying, talk to Amazon customer service about a return/exchange.

Jailbreaking is not for the faint of heart. If you are not comfortable with the level of your expertise and are not comfortable with the possibility of bricking your device, jailbreaking is not for you.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-04-2022, 12:52 AM   #6
icebarf

Talking Thanks for the kind reply

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Good to hear you got it out of demo mode.

If you find that dot annoying, talk to Amazon customer service about a return/exchange.

Jailbreaking is not for the faint of heart. If you are not comfortable with the level of your expertise and are not comfortable with the possibility of bricking your device, jailbreaking is not for you.
Thanks for the reply David, Its been like 18 hours since I got my kindle, and I have already started to not notice the dot. Seems like my brain got weirded out for some time by the defect but overall the kindle is very fine!

Also, I was able to jailbreak it easily in 20 minutes yesterday, Its just that I had to get out of demo mode, and for that I needed my kindle to lower its battery <= 75%. It took about 6 hours for it to go down there from ~92%.

I've installed KOReader and KAUL+ and Helper extensions and I'm enjoying reading books on it!

Thanks.
Old 11-03-2023, 09:51 AM   #7
Ruskie_it
Fanatic
Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ruskie_it ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW5, Kindle PW4, Kindle 4 NT
Quote:
Originally Posted by shamanNS View Post
For the record, this works.
I was in the same situation as OP, and used your trick not willing to wait 6 hours or more.
Ruskie_it is offline   Reply With Quote