Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 05-01-2023, 11:42 AM   #31
bouchacha
bouchacha began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara 2E
Quote:
Originally Posted by qkqw View Post
You are mentioning two different issues:

- The two screenshots are from the Pocket overview section. In most cases images do work properly there (even with acoup), and in most cases it's just a sync issue. I've had the issue that the same image will be displayed in the overview but not inside the article due to being a PNG
- Sometimes whole sections and/or images are missing from the article. That often happens with <code> sections, movies and advanced <picture> elements. In those cases you're right, there's not much we can do as that section is simply not there. If you check with the web view however, you'll notice that the same section is missing, so it's more likely a Pocket issue than a Kobo one.
Thank you that makes sense. Would it be possible for someone to post a screenshot of what it looks like on Kobo when an image is missing? I ran the script from this thread while I had about 1500 articles downloaded via Pocket and it finished instantly which surprised me. I can't tell if it's working as intended.
bouchacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2023, 05:35 AM   #32
qkqw
Connoisseur
qkqw is at one with the great books of the world.qkqw is at one with the great books of the world.qkqw is at one with the great books of the world.qkqw is at one with the great books of the world.qkqw is at one with the great books of the world.qkqw is at one with the great books of the world.qkqw is at one with the great books of the world.qkqw is at one with the great books of the world.qkqw is at one with the great books of the world.qkqw is at one with the great books of the world.qkqw is at one with the great books of the world.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Sure, there will be a small image-not-found icon instead of an image. If you don't see such an icon, Pocket will already have removed the image before passing it to Kobo.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	kobo-2023-05-06-01-21-22.png
Views:	139
Size:	93.9 KB
ID:	201426  
qkqw is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-29-2023, 10:18 AM   #33
just_jeepin
Addict
just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

can't get it to work

I can't get it to work.

I added this to the nm config menu.
Code:
menu_item  :library  :Fix Pocket Images  :cmd_spawn  :quiet:/bin/sh /mnt/onboard/.adds/pocket/fix.sh
  chain_success  :dbg_toast  :Done
I then extracted pocket.zip to /mnt/onboard/.adds/pocket.

And rebooted. It doesn't show up in the main menu or the nm while in Pocket.

Last edited by just_jeepin; 05-29-2023 at 10:20 AM. Reason: typo
just_jeepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2023, 12:08 PM   #34
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by just_jeepin View Post
I can't get it to work.

Code:
menu_item  :library  :Fix Pocket Images  :cmd_spawn  :quiet:/bin/sh /mnt/onboard/.adds/pocket/fix.sh

Does it show up when you are in the Books (library) view?
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2023, 04:59 PM   #35
just_jeepin
Addict
just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It's not showing up in NickelMenu on the homepage, pocket or my books page.
Advert
Old 05-29-2023, 10:36 PM   #36
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
A bit strange. I added the following 2 lines to my nm_config.txt file:

Code:
	 menu_item  :main  :Fix Pocket Images  :cmd_spawn  :quiet:/bin/sh /mnt/onboard/.adds/pocket/fix.sh
# ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- #

# ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- #
#
I don't use Pocket so I have never tried to use NickelMenu while using Pocket.

Then I dragged the pocket directory from the .zip file into the .adds directory on my Kobo ereader. When I opened NickelMenu, I saw the Fix Pocket Images directory and when I tapped on it, I got the Done toast. Sadly, I don't use Pocket but don't think that should have any effect on the test. When I look at the .adds directory, I see the nm directory and the pocket directory. In the pocket directory, I see the fix.sh and magick files and the fonts and lib directories.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	screen_001.png
Views:	120
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	201771  

Last edited by DNSB; 05-29-2023 at 10:38 PM.
Old 05-31-2023, 05:36 AM   #37
xyclonei
Connoisseur
xyclonei is clearly one to watchxyclonei is clearly one to watchxyclonei is clearly one to watchxyclonei is clearly one to watchxyclonei is clearly one to watchxyclonei is clearly one to watchxyclonei is clearly one to watchxyclonei is clearly one to watchxyclonei is clearly one to watchxyclonei is clearly one to watchxyclonei is clearly one to watch

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
I can't get it to work.

Code:

Since the entry is in the Library menu, you will have to tap on 'My Books' > 3 horizontal dot menu on the top right > Fix Pocket Images.
xyclonei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2023, 11:43 AM   #38
DNSB
Bibliophagist

Quote:
Originally Posted by xyclonei View Post
Since the entry is in the Library menu, you will have to tap on 'My Books' > 3 horizontal dot menu on the top right > Fix Pocket Images.
Since @just_jeepin posted in a message:
Quote:
I've hit the limit of what I can offer in the line of troubleshooting from what has been posted. I am wondering if he has issues with the construction of his NM config file(s).
Old 05-31-2023, 07:02 PM   #39
just_jeepin
Addict

Quote:
Thank you, it was hiding in that menu! I changed :library to :main and it's in the NickelMenu menu.

Last edited by just_jeepin; 05-31-2023 at 07:12 PM.
Old 08-14-2023, 10:11 AM   #40
logger232
logger232 began at the beginning.

Device: kobo aura 1
I did everything as per the instructions, but when I click on the 'fix Pocket images' from the nicklemenu in the articles section, I instantly get a toast saying "Done" but the images are not fixed, I tried powering the device on and off, I deleted and re-extracted the pocket zip file in the .adds directory but to no avail.
can someone please help me?
logger232 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2023, 11:05 AM   #41
just_jeepin
Addict

I'm having the same issue.
Old 01-25-2024, 08:14 PM   #42
just_jeepin
Addict

Any updates on a fixed script?
Old 01-26-2024, 07:09 AM   #43
qkqw
Connoisseur
qkqw is at one with the great books of the world.qkqw is at one with the great books of the world.qkqw is at one with the great books of the world.qkqw is at one with the great books of the world.qkqw is at one with the great books of the world.qkqw is at one with the great books of the world.qkqw is at one with the great books of the world.qkqw is at one with the great books of the world.qkqw is at one with the great books of the world.qkqw is at one with the great books of the world.qkqw is at one with the great books of the world.

Quote:
Any updates on a fixed script?
The script is working fine for most of us. The "done" toast will be shown immediately, it doesn't wait until all images are processed.

You can try this version which uses a log and is able to show the current status: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...2&postcount=21
Old 03-03-2024, 06:00 PM   #44
qkqw
Connoisseur

Quote:
I've been scratching my head over this.

The below NM config displays Done when the script process is spawned and not when the Pocket image conversions are done.
I've been thinking about this lately and came up with a real easy solution. If you have qndb (NickelDBus) installed, you can just call it to display a toast message at the end of the script, for example:

Code:
qndb -m mwcToast 3000 "Finished converting"
Old 03-08-2024, 07:08 PM   #45
vesko
vesko began at the beginning.

Thank you for sharing all of this. I have not tried your script directly yet but it has been really interesting to read because I'm working on my own project to do with improving Pocket's awful article parsing and broken images.

I'm building my own self-hosted "pre-processor" that can re-format articles to make them easier for pocket's servers to parse and reduce instances of missing paragraphs / sections and images. I kept hitting the missing images problem though, and googling for it brought me here. Very glad to hear that the issue is solvable by converting image formats into jpegs.

I saw your other forum post where you found that pocket have an image proxy service that they use in certain situations to convert PNGs to JPEGs via pocket-image-cache.com. I think I might have a go at re-routing article image URLs to use their converter.

Many thanks again for the useful pointer!

(My code is a bit too early stage and too customised to my setup to share yet but I might follow up if there's any interest.)
vesko is offline   Reply With Quote