Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-04-2023, 05:53 PM   #1
bimini
bimini began at the beginning.

Device: PW3
Weird behaving PW3

Hi Everyone,

my Kindle Paperwhite 3 (Serial Number starts with G090G1, firmware 5.12.2) is behaving weird in multiple ways. I only use it to read pdfs and other ebooks i acquired outside of amazon and it is basically in flight mode since I own it.
  • It forgets most of the ebooks. This happens sometimes, ts definetly when the battery is dead but I it happend without a dead battery as well. And its not all of them, some always survive the purge. Its like the kindle resets to a state from years ago and everything I copied over since then is gone. I wasn't able to see any patterns, its definetly not filetype dependent, among the kept books are pdfs, azw3 and mobi files.
  • Factory reset is not working. When I go to the settings menue und then choose factory reset (my local is german so its "Zurücksetzten"), I get the prompt to confirm but then it just reboots and all my files are still there.
  • Updating is disabled. I tried updating to a newer firmware (5.13.7, so that I keep the option to jailbreak), downloaded the .bin and copied it onto the device to root (aka the directory that opens after connecting. After disconnecting the device and going into setting the option to update the firmware is greyed out and I can't start the process. Also when I connect the kindle again the .bin is gone.

Does anyone has an idea how I can get out of this mess? At that point, i'm not scared of bricking it anymore. The first issue results in it beeing quite anoying to use and if I don't get it fixe, i'll buy another reader.
I also have a soldering iron and a serial-to-usb adapter but I would like to avoid using it if possible and keept that as a last ressort.
bimini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2023, 05:57 PM   #2
mergen3107
Wizard
mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
Looks like its storage NAND chip reached its end of life.
mergen3107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2023, 06:26 PM   #3
bimini

Quote:
Originally Posted by mergen3107 View Post
Looks like its storage NAND chip reached its end of life.
I thought about that but when I'm using it regularly and always recharging before the battery is dead and it won't loose any data.
Also I never saw any corrupted data.
Old 11-04-2023, 07:02 PM   #4
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
The OS will cache changed data hiding a failure to write data. Restart the device and if it reverts to an old state then the flash memory has failed.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2023, 07:09 PM   #5
mergen3107
Wizard
mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes, what jhowell said. “No power - no storage” means NAND is incapable to write permanently.
Old 11-05-2023, 04:31 AM   #6
bimini

Ok got it, i wasn't expecting such an elaborate filesystem caching on a device with 500MB Ram.
I did some testing that supports that hypothesis.
When I copy a 50MB pdf onto the device i can open it and its still intact when I connect the kindle to my computer and open it there. However when I copy the same pdf 11 times (to make sure I max out the ram) all of the files are toast.

So i guess its time for a new ebook reader
Old 11-05-2023, 08:50 AM   #7
mergen3107
Wizard

@bimini,

Sorry to hear that!

However, don’t despair!
1) There most probably will be huge deals on Amazon.com for Kindle closer to Black Friday.
2) While you wait, trade in your current one. You get a symbolic 5-10$ for the device itself, BUT you also get 20% discount on a new Kindle after that! That means 20% on ANY new Kindle, or official Kindle + cover bundles.
3) Amazon gives give multiple options to submit Kindle for Trade-In. If you submit it in Whole Foods (or other store with an Amazon Center, (
or something like this), instead of sending it with a free shipping label and waiting a week - you will get that 20% discount almost the same hour as you submit your Kindle to Trade-In in person.
4) Just in case, take 4636384 photos of your Kindle before trading it in. Chances are small, but sometimes Amazon screws up the Trade-in evaluation. With photos you have proof of what you sent that you can appeal with Amazon Customer Service.

Good luck!
Old 11-05-2023, 08:51 AM   #8
mergen3107
Wizard

So you should wait for the discount + apply 20% on top of it.
Old 11-05-2023, 11:27 AM   #9
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by bimini View Post
Ok got it, i wasn't expecting such an elaborate filesystem caching on a device with 500MB Ram.
Kindles run linux, which has that built in.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2023, 01:41 PM   #10
bimini

Quote:
Originally Posted by mergen3107 View Post
@bimini,

Sorry to hear that!

However, don’t despair!
1) There most probably will be huge deals on Amazon.com for Kindle closer to Black Friday.
(...)
Thanks for the recommendations but I don't think that I will buy another kindle. I don't but books there and only use it to read pdfs and epubs.
Right now, im leaning towards a tolino device since they are supported by "On-leihe", this is a service run by the public libraries where they rent out ebooks for free for all members.