Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-21-2023, 04:51 AM   #1
techq1
techq1 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW3
Paperwhite 3 with faulty USB port

I have a PW3, jailbroken on 5.14.2. Unfortunately, the USB port only works for charging now, I have tried 3 different working cable & 3 different previously working laptops & every time the PW3 enters USB devide mode on the screen, hangs with no detection of the device on the laptops. It becomes unresponsive and can only come out of that state with a forced restart.

I do have KUAL with MR Package installer, and KOReader installed. I have NOT installed anything to prevent OTA updates and have never connected to WIFI. Is there anyway to install a means of preventing updates WITHOUT USB e.g. this:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...3&postcount=25

I want to be able to use WIFI in the future with Calibre for book management, but avoid getting a forced OTA update.
techq1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2023, 04:00 AM   #2
techq1
techq1 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW3
Anyone? Any ideas?
techq1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2023, 01:49 PM   #3
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Maybe using the serial port, but I have no experience with that.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2023, 02:45 PM   #4
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by techq1 View Post

I want to be able to use WIFI in the future with Calibre for book management, but avoid getting a forced OTA update.
My router lets me designate networks with limited or no Internet access. Also OpenWRT as a router would let you block Amazon.

Or simply unplug fibre/cable/DSL from router before turning on Kindle WiFi and plug it in again when Kindle WiFi off.

Or get a local repair shop to replace socket (really could be a high proportion of cost of a Kindle).
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2023, 02:56 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by techq1 View Post
Anyone? Any ideas?
Replace the USB port of your PW3. that means unsoldering the port and soldering in a new USB port.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2023, 03:40 PM   #6
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Replace the USB port of your PW3. that means unsoldering the port and soldering in a new USB port.
Most people can't DIY that and a decent repair guy isn't cheap.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote