Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-04-2023, 05:35 PM   #1
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Scribe users: Can you see kindle-notebook web page?

read.amazon.com/kindle-notebook is now redirecting to Scribe FAQ (question 5. mentions only iOS and Android apps, I don't know if it ever referenced the web page).

The Notebook web viewer has been going for months. Hopefully they will bring it back. It had stopped working with Safari a few weeks ago, maybe this is their way of addressing that while they figure out how to fix it (Firefox, Edge and I assume Chrome didn't have issues).

I had just been working on a script to get a list of notebooks and their folders and guid's from the web page. I guess that little project is on hold for now.
tomsem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2023, 10:42 AM   #2
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I can go back in browser history and load one of my notebooks, so the site is still there, but the front door is closed.

If I replace the guid in the URL with the guid of the notebook, then I can view any notebook (assuming browser is already logged in to my Amazon account):

https://read.amazon.com/render/notebook?notebookId=[notebook-guid]&language=en-US&theme=Light

There are folder GUIDs as well, but when I tried modifying the URL to use one that I'd captured previously with my script it would not open. I might not have guessed the correct URL format (tried '.../folder?folderId=...').

Last edited by tomsem; 10-05-2023 at 11:15 AM.
Old 10-05-2023, 02:27 PM   #3
BionicGecko
Addict
BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BionicGecko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Oasis 3 and Scribe
I confirm the “front door” is closed for me as well, I’m also redirected to the Scribe FAQ.
BionicGecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2023, 12:00 PM   #4
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
I never heard of kindle notebook.
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2023, 08:19 PM   #5
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HLS View Post
I never heard of kindle notebook.
I don't think Amazon promoted it but it was there for some months. I hope it returns.
Old 10-07-2023, 08:47 PM   #6
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
That web page is still used by the Kindle apps for showing notebooks. Amazon must be using some aspect of the query to decide whether to fulfill the request or redirect it. To me that indicates that they are intentionally blocking it from use outside of their apps.
jhowell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2023, 10:36 PM   #7
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
That web page is still used by the Kindle apps for showing notebooks. Amazon must be using some aspect of the query to decide whether to fulfill the request or redirect it. To me that indicates that they are intentionally blocking it from use outside of their apps.
Yes, that is interesting.

I was playing with the new macOS Kindle app. If I go offline, the Notebook option doesn't show in the Kindle app.

But it showed a notebook that I deleted a few weeks ago. I tried to open it, and it re-directed to the FAQ page. When I tried to go back, the Kindle app crashed. The web page hasn't worked with Safari for a couple of months.

So maybe they are trying to limit the damage while they fix the problems.

Last edited by tomsem; 10-07-2023 at 10:41 PM.
Old 10-28-2023, 12:47 AM   #8
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
I can go back in browser history and load one of my notebooks, so the site is still there, but the front door is closed.

If I replace the guid in the URL with the guid of the notebook, then I can view any notebook (assuming browser is already logged in to my Amazon account):

https://read.amazon.com/render/notebook?notebookId=[notebook-guid]&language=en-US&theme=Light

There are folder GUIDs as well, but when I tried modifying the URL to use one that I'd captured previously with my script it would not open. I might not have guessed the correct URL format (tried '.../folder?folderId=...').
It looks like this hack no longer works, or perhaps the URL format has changed. That said, it was not a very useful hack.