Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-10-2010, 02:39 PM   #1
nimblem
Addict
nimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the rough

Device: Pocket Pro, Kindle Dx
My first Kindle !!

I finally decided on ordering the Kindle DX. Although twice the cost of the Kindle3 I felt that the extra would more than pay for it self in the reduced cost of books, plus make my reading experience more enjoyable. Thanks for everyone's input on the matter. As y'all can image I am very excited for the device to get here.

Does it come with the battery already charged or should I expect to have to charge it before use?

Can I start sending the books I already own (and already converted to amazon format) to the kindle through my account or is something has to be done only after I have it in my hands?
nimblem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 02:44 PM   #2
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Just to be safe you should charge it upon arrival.
you can begins to send books, when it arrives and you turn it on, connected to the AC outlet, you can watch all the books being downloaded.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-10-2010, 02:51 PM   #3
kathyfitz
Electronics Whore
kathyfitz doesn't litterkathyfitz doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad, iPad mini, iPhone5, Kindle3
If you send the books you already own to your Kindle before it arrives, they charge a fee for emailing to the device. If you wait until you have it in hand, you can transfer from your computer for free. Any books you buy from Amazon for the device can be sent from Amazon to the device for free.
kathyfitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 02:55 PM   #4
rlparker
Ars longa
rlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Kindle K1, K3 wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimblem View Post
I finally decided on ordering the Kindle DX. ...
Congratulations!

Hope you like your K as much I like mine!
rlparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 03:20 PM   #5
TomF
Kindle Enthusiast
TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 3G Graphite, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by kathyfitz View Post
If you send the books you already own to your Kindle before it arrives, they charge a fee for emailing to the device. If you wait until you have it in hand, you can transfer from your computer for free. Any books you buy from Amazon for the device can be sent from Amazon to the device for free.
I don't think so. The only time you incur charges for sending books you already own to a Kindle is if you are not in the US when you receive the books. In that case Amazon charges a delivery surcharge. This is what "Free 3G" is all about. There is no reason to attach your Kindle to your computer to transfer books already purchased unless you are not in either 3G or EDGE/GPSR network range.
TomF is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-10-2010, 03:22 PM   #6
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
congratulations!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 03:43 PM   #7
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomF View Post
I don't think so. The only time you incur charges for sending books you already own to a Kindle is if you are not in the US when you receive the books.
The OP was apparently talking about books he had converted to Kindle format that were not from Amazon. So, if he did send them via 3G, they DO charge for that: 15 cents per megabyte, rounded up, per document.

Better to just transfer them via USG.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 03:47 PM   #8
nimblem
Addict
nimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the roughnimblem is a jewel in the rough

I will just wait, not a big deal. I am just a bit excited. Last time I bought an Ereader I went with a less known company simply because of the amount of formats that it could read. While the product did preform as stated I was a bit disappointed with the amount of glitches it has. So I am just ready to move on to more stable device.
Old 08-10-2010, 03:59 PM   #9
pboss
Evangelist
pboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enoughpboss will become famous soon enough

Device: none
And you did it. Congratulations!
pboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 04:08 PM   #10
nimblem
Addict

Haha Thanks!
Old 08-10-2010, 04:14 PM   #11
foreverjuly
Crank Up The Awesome!
foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foreverjuly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Nook, iPhone
Congratulations! It'll completely change your life, and you'll be reading 10x more than you were before! If you're anything like me, you'll probably be compulsively buying cheap books as well.
foreverjuly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 11:10 AM   #12
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
If you don't already use Calibre, check it out. It's a fabulous way to transfer ebooks to your Kindle.

cheers
Leep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 11:18 AM   #13
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Books from Amazon will be loaded or loading when you get your DX. If you have a lot of books on it, it will take a while. I sent 300+ books to my DXG. I left it plugged in my DXG and left it charging the first day. Indexing and downloading do chew up battery.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 05:09 PM   #14
nimblem
Addict

It didn't come today.... I guess I entered the bank info wrong so I had to get the account unlocked. Now the status just says "shipping soon" so hopefully it will be here tmrw, I would like to take it with me to court Friday (speeding ticket, promise I am not a bad person ).
Old 08-11-2010, 05:13 PM   #15
Valmore Daniels
Grand Sorcerer
Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valmore Daniels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I hope it arrives soon! I hate the anticip .................... ation of it all.
Valmore Daniels is offline   Reply With Quote