Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-03-2010, 04:04 PM   #1
megacoupe
Connoisseur
megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.megacoupe shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Is the PRS-505 still considered the best Sony Reader model released so far?

I've gotten years of use out of my PRS-500 but it seems to be fading a little bit. I checked out the Nook at my local B&N and found it was much less cool in person than it seemed on the internet. Kinda sluggish, didn't like the interface, etc. Don't really care for the Kindle models. iPad is not an eBook reader, in my opinion (though it could be awesome for comic books). So, I'm thinking it's very likely I'll be getting another Sony.

How do the newer models (the 300, 600 and 900) compare to the 505? I've heard of glare issues with the touchscreen models, which is a dealbreaker for me; clarity and contrast is the most important feature to me. Here are my required features in an electronic reader, in descending order of importance:

1. Quality/readability of the screen
2. Battery life
3. Ease of transferring files through a computer (the 500 is slightly limited in this area because it doesn't show up as an external drive)
4. Common formats accepted (I know Calibre takes care of this for the most part, but better PDF support would be nice)

Any other features (like dictionary, annotations, wireless connection) are nice, but far from necessary. Do any of the new Sony models beat the 505 on any of these 4 points? If not, where's the best place I can find a new 505? (Is eBay the only option?)

And if anyone can think of a non-Sony reader that scores well on the above 4 points, please let me know.
megacoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 06:12 PM   #2
Scott_T
Groupie
Scott_T has learned how to read e-booksScott_T has learned how to read e-booksScott_T has learned how to read e-booksScott_T has learned how to read e-booksScott_T has learned how to read e-booksScott_T has learned how to read e-booksScott_T has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Sony PRS-300, Sony PRS-500, Reb1100(dead)
Quote:
Originally Posted by megacoupe View Post
3. Ease of transferring files through a computer (the 500 is slightly limited in this area because it doesn't show up as an external drive)
It does with the epub update
Scott_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-03-2010, 08:00 PM   #3
Gatecra5her
Enthusiast
Gatecra5her began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600
The PRS 600 screen glare is a major problem for me, having owned one. If you're sitting with a window facing it you can pretty much just see your face staring back at you...whereas if you're sitting with a window behind you all you can see is the glare from the window. I've since bought a PRS505 and it is unbelievably better for reading. The difference is like night and day for me.

-Mark
Gatecra5her is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2010, 09:07 PM   #4
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
I still think the 505 is the best, but it does not have a dictionary or annotation capability...
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 12:02 AM   #5
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
In the (admittedly limited) research Iʻve done (mostly on this board and a little off this board), I still think the 505 is the best! Does that count?
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-04-2010, 12:16 AM   #6
SomeThingWickd
First to go, last to know
SomeThingWickd began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 505, iPhone w/Stanza, and NOW a 16GB Apple iPad WiFi
For the e-ink readers...the PRS-505 is the best hands down...mind you, it may not be as fast, sexy, or flashy as the newer models, but I get 10-14 days of reading on 1 full charge, and no screen glare..not to mention it has worked flawlessly with Calibre since day one...(I upgraded from the 500 right after release and I never looked back!)

I have played with the idea of moving to the 600 or 900...but...I could not justify the extra expense for something that wasn't broke, or obsolete technology (as far as reading an ebook was concerned..)

Having said that....I unboxed my iPad at noon today...(Happy Birthday to ME) and am VERY impressed so far...Using the iBooks, with my vast collection converted to epub via Calibre... transfer via iTunes......(Happy Hamster Dance...)

If it would last 2 weeks on a charge like my Sony would...this thing would displace my 505.....

We shall see....
SomeThingWickd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 12:49 AM   #7
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
The Astak Pocket Pro & EZReader have the same screen type as the PRS-505, a faster processer, more filetypes, and the same ease of file transferal, plus innate folder support. (I'm told I could hack my PRS-505 to get folder support; I'm a bit scared to try.)

When I look to replace my 505, I'm looking at a Pocket Pro because I want the smaller screen size, but the newer EZReaders (Mentor, I think) have the same processor as the PEZ with the 6" screen.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 01:18 AM   #8
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
(I'm told I could hack my PRS-505 to get folder support; I'm a bit scared to try.)
Don't be scared, PRS+ is simple to install. Extract PRS+ to a SDcard. Pop the SD card in the 505. Select language. Once it finishes, while it reboots, remove the SD card. All done enjoy.

Because of PRS+ I think the 505 is still one of the best ereaders out there for recreational novel reading. If my goal was to read technical PDFs I would look elsewhere.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2010, 05:20 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Take a look at the BeBook Neo / Onyx Boox 60 (the same machine). Best 6" device on the market, in my view. It has a Wacom touch screen, hence no impact on image clarity.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 08:45 AM   #10
davers
Connoisseur
davers is kind to children and small, furry animalsdavers is kind to children and small, furry animalsdavers is kind to children and small, furry animalsdavers is kind to children and small, furry animalsdavers is kind to children and small, furry animalsdavers is kind to children and small, furry animalsdavers is kind to children and small, furry animalsdavers is kind to children and small, furry animalsdavers is kind to children and small, furry animalsdavers is kind to children and small, furry animalsdavers is kind to children and small, furry animals

Device: Sony Dark Blue 505
Everyone knows the 505 is the best...and the blue one is the best of the best!

Dave
davers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 09:01 AM   #11
tyche
Addict
tyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with otherstyche plays well with others

Device: PRS-505, iPad
I have the PRS-505 with PRS+ installed (really simple to do and worth it!) and I still love this little thing. One of the best items I've ever bought and I hope it never dies. I'm glad the screen type still lives on. Does that 6" EZ Reader support justification in epubs? That's the only thing holding me back from adopting that file format and sticking with lrf.

I've twice went to look at the 600 because of the extra features but I've always left disappointed. The cost is too much and when it comes down to it readability is my #1 factor in a device.
tyche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 09:43 AM   #12
banjomike
Addict
banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjomike ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505,DSlibris,nook Glow & Simple & HD+,Tab S2,Moon+,Kobo Clara
The 505 is the best. The RED one is even better.

Never tried PRS+ although maybe after the 505 warranty ends...
banjomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 09:48 AM   #13
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Never tried the red pill....silver is the light and the glory!
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 03:01 PM   #14
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
It's probably significant that 505s can go for more than list price on eBay.

The little one is too small. I don't want a touch screen. The big one is too big. If my 505 dies, I'm going to have to buy a non-Sony reader if I want a new one.

What was going through Sony's tiny little minds, anyway, when they decided to discontinue the best product in the line? In my dreams, they'll come out with the 510, with more internal memory, the PRS+ enhancements built in, and some respect for the author_sort field.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2010, 04:36 PM   #15
Robert Minneman
Connoisseur
Robert Minneman might easily be mistaken for a TexanRobert Minneman might easily be mistaken for a TexanRobert Minneman might easily be mistaken for a TexanRobert Minneman might easily be mistaken for a TexanRobert Minneman might easily be mistaken for a TexanRobert Minneman might easily be mistaken for a TexanRobert Minneman might easily be mistaken for a TexanRobert Minneman might easily be mistaken for a TexanRobert Minneman might easily be mistaken for a TexanRobert Minneman might easily be mistaken for a TexanRobert Minneman might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: Sony PRS-505
I have the 505 (silver), I've had my hands on other eReaders but still feel the 505 is the best of all I've compared.
Robert Minneman is offline   Reply With Quote