Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-06-2010, 02:20 AM   #1
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
International Kindle -- shipped abroad, US account?

Is it possible to buy an international Kindle, have it sent abroad directly by Amazon and then still register it to a US account (which is obviously preferable for content pricing and availablity)? Or do you have to have it sent to a US address to avoid "blacklisting"?
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 03:16 AM   #2
dafire
dafire will become famous soon enoughdafire will become famous soon enoughdafire will become famous soon enoughdafire will become famous soon enoughdafire will become famous soon enoughdafire will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS505, Kindle DXi
I don't have a kindle yet, but I have read that you can only buy with an us account if you create an account with an us address.

But if you know an us address you could create an us account and add money to it with gift cards which you can buy with your local account on the us amazon... I heard from some people doing it from germany.
dafire is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2010, 03:28 AM   #3
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

There are ways around that and it works for me. I am just afraid that if you order a Kindle and have it shipped abroad, they will classify it as "non-US", no matter what the account is.
Old 01-06-2010, 02:19 PM   #4
Pardoz
Which side are you on?
Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 2 Int'l
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
There are ways around that and it works for me. I am just afraid that if you order a Kindle and have it shipped abroad, they will classify it as "non-US", no matter what the account is.
Mine arrived in Poland set to a US account by default.
Pardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 02:48 PM   #5
Harry001
Addict
Harry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enoughHarry001 will become famous soon enough

Device: palmone lifedrive+sonyreader 505+NookColor+HPTouchpad \32GB+NookSimple
what i read today in spiegel.de or sueddeutsche.de and heise.de was, that amazon will open the whole library for europe, too.
first only the english books

if they do so - than there is no need for an account in the us and an us based credit-card

keep reading
harry
Harry001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2010, 04:31 PM   #6
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pardoz View Post
Mine arrived in Poland set to a US account by default.
Nice one. My friend in Australia who bought an international kindle with US payment details still received a non-US Kindle. You have to be clever with the address I think.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2010, 08:00 PM   #7
HansTWN
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry001 View Post
what i read today in spiegel.de or sueddeutsche.de and heise.de was, that amazon will open the whole library for europe, too.

if they do so - than there is no need for an account in the us and an us based credit-card

keep reading
harry
That is good news, but it still leaves the 2 USD surcharge per book. Well, let us see how this plays out. Thanks for everybody's input!
Old 01-07-2010, 08:46 AM   #8
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry001 View Post
If you read it online.... do you happen to have a link? I'm curious.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 08:50 AM   #9
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
Quote:
That is good news, but it still leaves the 2 USD surcharge per book. Well, let us see how this plays out.
It would be great to get rid of it - or at least get the possibility of buying for download to computer only, and then the wireless service could either be a product you buy with the book of you want it, or a subscription service. I don't think it's cheap for Amazon to buy AT&T roaming.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 12:24 PM   #10
allenlux
allenlux began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2 International
As far as I know, there are no longer separate "US" and "international" models of the Kindle 2, they are all now the same GSM-based hardware.

Therefore if you can create a valid US-based Amazon account, you should be able to register any Kindle 2 to that account.
allenlux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 02:56 AM   #11
Fisse
Fisse began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Is it possible to buy an international Kindle, have it sent abroad directly by Amazon and then still register it to a US account (which is obviously preferable for content pricing and availablity)? Or do you have to have it sent to a US address to avoid "blacklisting"?
I use a MyUS account and got send abroad. the AT&T roaming does not work but thats no problem from me as I buy the books I want from Amazon US account and connect the Kindle to the computer and transfer it over.
Fisse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 08:11 AM   #12
HansTWN
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisse View Post
I use a MyUS account and got send abroad. the AT&T roaming does not work but thats no problem from me as I buy the books I want from Amazon US account and connect the Kindle to the computer and transfer it over.
I have a similar account with another company, not MyUS. But it would be better to have Amazon send the Kindle directly to me -- cheaper and in case there is a problem Amazon would pay for shipping the device internationally both ways. With a service like MyUS you would have to pay for shipment back to MyUS and the return shipment to you. I would like to have both, direct shipment to me abroad, but registration to a US account. That is why am asking.
Old 01-11-2010, 11:56 AM   #13
Your Grace
Your Grace began at the beginning.

Device: nothing yet
Angry

Hi everybody and thank you for your previous help. I live in Australia and don't know whether to buy a Sony 505 or a Kindle 1
I want one for reading novels only. Nothing else. I'm not sure where to buy novels for a Sony or how much they cost and I hear that there is a 2USD surcharge for every book that I buy for a Kindle 1.
Is it possible to buy a book from the normal Amazon and then put it on my PC and then transfer it to a Kindle 1.
Is it the same for a Sony?
I believe the Sony is cheaper to buy in Aus. than buying a Kindle from the US
Are there any Australians who have tried both and can help please.
Because of my arthritis I can't hold paperbacks any more or juggle a laptop, but I need serious help please
Thank you for any consideration that you can give me
Your Grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 11:39 PM   #14
HansTWN
Wizard

Check out the Amazon section for Australia and see what is available there. If that satisfies you, then Amazon's Kindle is a good choice. That would be the easiest way, you can download directly to the Kindle but you pay 2 USD more per book than in the US. There is also the option to register the Kindle to a US account and pay US prices, but that forces you to use some tricks with your address and IP masking.

For the Sony you can buy at many stores (Waterstones, W.H. Smith, Kobo, BooksOnBoard, etc -- but for the American stores you often need to work around the regional restrictions). There even was a thread about Australian ebook stores some time ago. You can search for it.
Old 01-15-2010, 08:50 AM   #15
Your Grace
Your Grace began at the beginning.

Device: nothing yet
Thank you very much for your help
Your Grace is offline   Reply With Quote