Notices

Old 01-08-2009, 07:32 AM   #1
sarikan
Zealot
sarikan began at the beginning.

Device: none
Update on problematic pdf

Dear members of the forum,
I have finally managed to get access to a computer that has Acrobat installed on it, and I've opened the problematic file with it. The situation was that I had two versions of the same doc in pdf format, and one of them simply was not usable in my dr1000, page turns of 15 seconds, lock-ups etc, you name it. I had another version of the document, which had no problems at all.
The difference I could notice between two docs seems to be that in the problematic one the fonts were not embedded. I had very limited time so I could not work on docs. So I simply selected optimize scanned pdf option in a menu hoping that'd fix the problems, and saved a second copy of the problematic pdf.
I managed to test it a few minutes ago, and the problems are gone now. Acrobat embedded the fonts in the doc, and it did some other optimisations which was reported during save, like consolidation of fonts or background pictures etc.
I do not know how to problematic one was created in the first place, but Acrobat seems to be capable of eliminating my problems.

Kind regards
Seref
sarikan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2009, 10:24 AM   #2
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Just curious, do you know what font it was trying to use?

I remember reading something similar with the iLiads, where there was a certain font or certain family of fonts that, if not embedded in the document, would make the reader really slow to render the pages. I'm not sure, but this may be a similar issue.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-08-2009, 05:52 PM   #3
sarikan
Zealot

more than one font was used in the document. times new roman, courier, verdana. what I've also noticed is that if a page consists of only one font, it renders quite fast. if it uses multiple fonts with different formating like underlined, bold etc, than rendering takes longer (or that's what I think I see).
under linux, ps2pdf or some similar tools seem to be capable of embedding fonts in a new pdf file using a pdf file that does not contain embedded fonts. I'll give that a try, so that I can have a quick fix to have acceptable pdf files quickly.

Kind Regards
Seref
Old 01-09-2009, 11:43 PM   #4
keng2000
Researcher and Consultant
keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: MACBOOKPRO17" HP2400TX SONYUX27
Sometimes, I got the PDF without required fonts, most of them related with non-english languages, My assumption is about PDF software creating problem, The creator may not notice this because when it lost those fonts, they are always founded in the computer os fonts directory.
keng2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 07:41 AM   #5
sarikan
Zealot

I guess opening and saving pdf docs in Adobe environment is an overall solution to some common problems that occur due to various issues with third party pdf creation tools. Adobe's product portfolio is kinda complicated however, or that's the impression I get I'd like to know the minimum amount I'd have to pay for the product that'd give me a pdf fixing tool for dr1000
Advert
Old 01-20-2009, 11:10 AM   #6
Vadrus
Vadrus began at the beginning.

Device: irex dr1000s
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarikan View Post
I'd like to know the minimum amount I'd have to pay for the product that'd give me a pdf fixing tool for dr1000
Aye, that's something I'd love to know as well, at the moment the dr1000 is basically useless for reading pdf's of most rpgs which, as it was the reason I bought it, is pretty disappointing.

Any way of re-saving the files to a simplified version that the dr1000 can actually handle would be great.

Vadrus
Vadrus is offline   Reply With Quote