Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 05-14-2011, 06:59 PM   #1
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Zinio for Magazines (Text Settings)

I've never used Zinio before until today (app for Android). I noticed there are no settings to change the text size (within "text" view), font, margins, line spacing, and background color. I'm shocked that the NOOK Android app, which now supports magazines, is superior than the Zinio Android app. How are things on the iOS side for this app?
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 10:33 PM   #2
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
As I recall from using Zinio on a pc, magazines are more like a PDF file. You can zoom in and out, etc. but the font, margins, etc. are fixed, just like a PDF. Magazines are normally laid out in a fairly rigid format, and I imagine they want it displayed the way they laid it out. I'm hoping someday they will adapt to a more digital-friendly format, where an article can be resized, background color changed, etc. One of my pet peeves is when magazines print articles on odd-colored or black backgrounds, making things hard to read.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-15-2011, 01:44 AM   #3
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post
I've never used Zinio before until today (app for Android). I noticed there are no settings to change the text size (within "text" view), font, margins, line spacing, and background color. I'm shocked that the NOOK Android app, which now supports magazines, is superior than the Zinio Android app. How are things on the iOS side for this app?
Same. Not even bookmarks (can be done in the PC version for years).
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 04:06 AM   #4
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad M1 Pro, Kindle Paperwhite
Yeah, Zinio magazines have a fixed layout. Personally if I didn't own a device with a display at least as big as my iPad's then I wouldn't bother with it at all.

Last edited by Dylrob; 05-15-2011 at 08:46 AM.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2011, 08:41 AM   #5
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Thanks for the replies.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-26-2011, 07:21 AM   #6
tdmsu
Enthusiast
tdmsu began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx Boox Nova2
I don't like Zinio because it seems to cause my ipad to take an extremely long time to sync. After I deleted Zinio (after online help advice to do so) the sync process speed improved dramatically from about 30 minutes to less than 4 minutes.
I don't know what it was about that app, but sync is better without it!
tdmsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 04:01 PM   #7
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdmsu View Post
I don't like Zinio because it seems to cause my ipad to take an extremely long time to sync. After I deleted Zinio (after online help advice to do so) the sync process speed improved dramatically from about 30 minutes to less than 4 minutes.
I don't know what it was about that app, but sync is better without it!
Within the Zinio app on iPad you can de-activate the sync to speed up the over-all syncing process.
It's a known issue and easy to explain: A single magazine easily can have >> 100MB.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 08:09 PM   #8
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
I have Zinio on the iPad 2. In the "Page" mode (but not in the "Text" mode) you can zoom in/out with the two finger pinch motion. To me this is easier & better than the fixed font size of the "Text" mode. I like it better than the PC version.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote