Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-22-2010, 03:18 PM   #1
Baldrake
Connoisseur
Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 3, HTC Mozart
Canadian vs US version of Kindle 3?

I was about to click the "buy" button on a Kindle 3. It turns out, for the Canadian version, there is a 7-9 week lag before shipping. The US version is in stock, and will ship immediately.

I'm going to be in the US next week, and could get the US version shipped to a friend.

Does anyone know if there is any difference at all between the units? They look identical and cost the same... The only thing I can imagine is that the wireless carrier may be different up here.

Thanks!
Baldrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 03:28 PM   #2
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
No idea if you get the US B006 Kindle which has an AT&T SIM or the international B00A Kindle which has a Vodafone SIM. Apart from the SIM difference, the Kindles are the same. You get whatever SIM is more appropriate for your country and I don't know what that would be for Canada.

The coverage map for the US B006 AT&T Kindle and the international B00A Vodafone Kindle aren't the same for Canada. If you're in a big city then either one will be fine though.
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-22-2010, 03:30 PM   #3
wildstar
Enthusiast
wildstar will become famous soon enoughwildstar will become famous soon enoughwildstar will become famous soon enoughwildstar will become famous soon enoughwildstar will become famous soon enoughwildstar will become famous soon enough

Device: Kobo 1, Kindle 3
As I understand, whether you order it from Canada or the US, you are ordering from the same website and the same inventory. When you go to Amazon.ca and go to the kindle link, it just redirects you to the US kindle site.

Though ... when I just went to the Amazon.ca home page, there is no longer any link to Kindle. It used to be quite prominent on the front. If you go to Amazon.com, the Kindle is listed as available and shipping internationally.
wildstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 03:52 PM   #4
Baldrake
Connoisseur
Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Baldrake once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Hmm, the AT&T (US version) appears to have marginally better coverage than the Verizon (international) version in Canada. But unless you live in Newfoundland, you're not going to see a difference.

This makes me think I can safely go ahead and get the US version. Thanks, Tiersten!

Wildstar, yes, you must order from amazon.com. But when you enter your shipping address, they direct you to an international page and specify the 7-9 week shipping delay.
Old 11-22-2010, 11:44 PM   #5
geeksquadofun
geeksquadofun began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
My Canadian unit has both American English and Oxford English dictionaries.

Not sure if the US model has both ?

DS
geeksquadofun is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-23-2010, 12:13 AM   #6
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeksquadofun View Post
My Canadian unit has both American English and Oxford English dictionaries.

Not sure if the US model has both ?
It should do. All the K3s have two dictionaries and they're both Oxford ones I believe. My UK model has Oxford and Oxford American.
Old 11-23-2010, 10:01 AM   #7
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
The U.S. and Canada use the same B006 Kindle 3G + WiFi. So your purchase in the U.S. will work in Canada.

Quote:
Kindle 3G (Free 3G + Wi-Fi) - U.S. and Canadian Customers*:
<snip>
Your serial number will start with "B006"
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 10:10 AM   #8
NickBuzz
NickBuzz doesn't litterNickBuzz doesn't litter

Device: Kindle
But can you actually switch dictionaries later on? Maybe even add a non-english one? I'm not sure if there is a special thread for this...
NickBuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 10:40 AM   #9
Tiersten
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickBuzz View Post
But can you actually switch dictionaries later on?
Yup. Settings screen then press the Menu key and you can change the dictionary it uses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NickBuzz View Post
Maybe even add a non-english one?
I've never tried it but it says you can and there are dictionaries available for purchase on the Kindle store.
Old 11-23-2010, 01:43 PM   #10
Baldrake
Connoisseur

Well, I ordered it last night, and it has already shipped to my friends in the US. So I will let you know in a week how things worked out. Thanks everyone for the feedback!
Old 11-25-2010, 05:32 PM   #11
xzara
xzara began at the beginning.

Device: none
I have the same question. I was reading somewhere that you need to have a US credit card to register a US kindle but I'm not sure if its true? And I'm not sure about any other problems that could a rise as a result of buying the us version when I live in Canada.
xzara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 06:11 PM   #12
Blendama
Blendama began at the beginning.

I too am curious why there's now a 7-9 week wait for the Kindle to ship to Canada when it's in stock in the US.

I live close to the border, so I was thinking about having one shipped to a friend in the US, however I was concerned about differences. I was reading in another thread that on the side of the box, it lists the country and the network, so in the case of US it would say AT&T and US...

For those Canadians who purchased a Kindle 3 3G from amazon.com and had it shipped up here, I'm wondering, does it say US and AT&T on the side of the box, or did it list a Canadian wireless provider?

If it says US and AT&T then I think I can safely buy it in the states...

Thanks in advance for your repsonses!
Blendama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 07:47 PM   #13
Baldrake
Connoisseur

I will have mine on Wednesday next week, and will tell you how it worked out!
Old 11-26-2010, 12:06 AM   #14
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
I use a USA kindle 3 in Australia and it works fine. Whispernet is free by 3G for books from Amazon. The one thing you will pay for is if you want to download subscriptions from USA via 3G.
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 02:08 PM   #15
Blendama
Blendama began at the beginning.

So??

Baldrake, it's past Wednesday; how is your newly-purchased Kindle? I've been waiting for an update from you...

If all's well, I'll order one and have it shipped to a buddy's place in NY...

Let me know!
Blendama is offline   Reply With Quote