Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-05-2010, 01:33 PM   #1
zinj
Connoisseur
zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Irex DR800SG, Kyobo Mirasol Reader, 2 Pocketbook Ultras
Will the rumored Amazon tablet have Mirasol?

A year ago Qualcomm let slip that they had signed up a "major" client to use their new Mirasol display technology. Could that client be Amazon? I know this has been speculated to death, but now that Amazon has leaked that they plan on introducing an Android tablet, there may be something to this. This comes hard on the heels of their announcement of their own app store and the introduction of the Nook Color. It also comes at a time that they have the potential to put a serious dent in holiday sales of the ipad. Also, Qualcomm has stated that their display is in full production and is scheduled to show up in a consumer product early next year. Coincidence? As Qualcomm told me just last week, "stay tuned, these are indeed exciting times".
zinj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 11:59 AM   #2
BDA123
BDA123 began at the beginning.

Device: None
Amazon Mirasol Tablet

I would love to see Amazon come out with a mirasol tablet. However, there are so many other features that are necessary for it to compete in the new tablet environment. Automatic upgrade to Android Gingerbread, Tegra 2 processor, usb ports, sd expansion, capacitive screen, android market access or equililent, 3g support, wifi b/g/n, and a competitive price. Ereading is a feature of the new tablet envirnoment not the definition of a tablet. Amazon needs to get ahead of companies like Apple, Samsung, and Notion Ink. Right now they are getting wasted.
BDA123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-10-2010, 12:44 PM   #3
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
I don't see why they'd use Mirasol in their rumoured tablet. If anything it'd be a LCD like everybody else to keep costs down and to give the same vibrant display.

Last edited by Tiersten; 11-10-2010 at 12:48 PM.
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 01:21 PM   #4
zinj
Connoisseur
zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zinj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Irex DR800SG, Kyobo Mirasol Reader, 2 Pocketbook Ultras
I'm just saying "some" major company just licensed the Mirasol technology. If not Amazon, then who? A "pocketable" sunlight-readable multimedia tablet will definitely find a place in the market.
zinj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 01:27 PM   #5
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by zinj View Post
I'm just saying "some" major company just licensed the Mirasol technology.
Could be anybody though. There are lots of companies out there making tablets or are thinking of making tablets. It doesn't instantly scream Amazon to me as their potential major company. Microsoft could be a possible company or one of the big phone companies.

Highly unlikely it is Apple as they're so secretive that they don't allow their suppliers to talk about any plans at all even if they don't mention their name.
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-10-2010, 01:35 PM   #6
curstpriest
Confused
curstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle DXG
If they are smart they will use pixelqi
curstpriest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 09:29 PM   #7
cjottawa
Tempus fugit.
cjottawa has learned how to read e-bookscjottawa has learned how to read e-bookscjottawa has learned how to read e-bookscjottawa has learned how to read e-bookscjottawa has learned how to read e-bookscjottawa has learned how to read e-bookscjottawa has learned how to read e-bookscjottawa has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle Keyboard
I'll be the first to jump on a "Kindle 4" if it features a colour e-ink screen.

That said, I don't think Amazon is rushing to get a colour e-ink device out.

They just released the K3 and, at $139 for the WiFi version, it's priced to make an excellent Christmas gift and basically swallow the whole market segment it occupies.

What would a K4 go for? $249? $350? That's getting a bit pricey to make a stocking stuffer and starts to confuse the iPad/NOOKcolour market.

As much as I'd like to see a colour e-ink Kindle, I don't think it'll be in the next 6 months.

Last edited by cjottawa; 11-11-2010 at 08:40 AM.
cjottawa is offline   Reply With Quote