Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 09-22-2010, 12:34 PM   #1
MrPLD
Author's pet-geek
MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi, Onyx Boox M96
Keyboard of the Gods... which one do you use?

We all type, a lot - so what keyboard to you find yourself liking the most?

For me, it's the classic IBM M series tactile / bucking spring beast - that also doubles as a weapon My wife, "The author", also has one - neither of us can give them up.
MrPLD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 12:45 PM   #2
NickSpalding
Addict
NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NickSpalding ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
This thread title immediately put me in mind of the brilliant Stephen King short story Wordprocessor Of The Gods.

My keyboard has lots of crumbs in it.
NickSpalding is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-22-2010, 01:02 PM   #3
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPLD View Post
We all type, a lot - so what keyboard to you find yourself liking the most?
Microsoft Natural Keyboard, the older model without padded wrist rest.

I also own IBM model M that I have "stolen" from a container for recycling/disposal of old electronics. I went to dump an old CRT monitor and for disposing of old electronics properly I was rewarded with this keyboard with a little bit damaged connector.

I would love to have Maltron keyboard one day, but they are BLOODY expensive (£ 375 for basic model). The only manufacturer has the design patented and they maintain very low production volumes and insanely high prices.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 01:26 PM   #4
kcmay
Addict
kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2
Because my day job has me in front of a computer and then I write after work & on weekends, I must use an ergonomic style or else I get terrible pain in my wrists. Right now, it's the Microsoft Natural Keyboard. I have another as a back-up for when this one dies.
kcmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 01:35 PM   #5
kcmay
Addict
kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
I would love to have Maltron keyboard one day, but they are BLOODY expensive (£ 375 for basic model). The only manufacturer has the design patented and they maintain very low production volumes and insanely high prices.
Whoa! I hadn't heard about this keyboard before, so I Googled it. I want one!! But no, $850 for a keyboard is way (way, way) outside my budget. I wonder if I could get my deep-pocketed employer to get me one.
kcmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-22-2010, 02:49 PM   #6
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmay View Post
Whoa! I hadn't heard about this keyboard before, so I Googled it. I want one!! But no, $850 for a keyboard is way (way, way) outside my budget. I wonder if I could get my deep-pocketed employer to get me one.
You can rent one. Really cheap. Only £ 10 per week.
No, I am not kidding.

By the way, Kinesis
http://www.kinesis-ergo.com/
is a little bit cheaper at $299

Aaaaaand ...
wait until you see this one
http://www.alphagrips.com/
You must see the video!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NGtgX19h1Kg

http://arstechnica.com/hardware/revi.../alphagrip.ars
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 07:57 PM   #7
MrPLD
Author's pet-geek
MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrPLD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If you really want to go extreme, there's the Optimus Maximus keyboard, featuring OLED display for each individual key... has to be seen to be believed... likewise the price!

http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/keyboards-mice/9836/
Old 09-22-2010, 08:10 PM   #8
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
I'm currently using an IBM keyboard with real keyswitches, but the shift key sticks. That occasionally makes posting ... interesting. I really, really wish I could get one of the old Focus keyboards with switches and a calculator, but Focus only makes membrane keyboards now, as does everyone else who sells their keyboards for under $300, and my last supplier of used ones ran out.

What I really don't get is how people can pay thousands of dollars for a computer and be content with a bargain basement keyboard. It's the part I interact with all the time and I want the best I can afford. Where are the $100 keyboards with a great feel and real switches?

I sometimes swap a Zboard in for gaming purposes because it has a good enough key feel for gaming and the specialty keys and labels are handy, but for writing, forum posts, or general puttering, it's keyswitches all the way.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 08:12 PM   #9
MrPLD
Author's pet-geek

Worldwalker,

Have you tried pulling apart the IBM keyboard to fix the shift key? I routinely clean mine - amazing what trash builds up under there - scary in fact.

Paul.
Old 09-22-2010, 08:45 PM   #10
Luke King
Member Retired
Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2
Sorry to sound like a Mac fool, but my iMac keyboard is easily the best keyboard I have ever had. The keys are comfortably separated, travel about 2mm, and hit solid ground with a satisfying click.
Luke King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 08:49 PM   #11
MrPLD
Author's pet-geek

Luke King, but do they keep everyone in the house up at 3am when you can't sleep and have to bash out that new idea? That's the glorious thing about the IBM-M, it's so loud that it lets everyone know that you're working hard

Paul.
Old 09-22-2010, 08:55 PM   #12
Luke King
Member Retired
Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Luke King ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2
No, I must admit, it is miserably silent.
Luke King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 09:24 PM   #13
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPLD View Post
Have you tried pulling apart the IBM keyboard to fix the shift key? I routinely clean mine - amazing what trash builds up under there - scary in fact.
That's how I've got it working (there was some strange sticky ... stuff ... on it), but with the age of the keyboard, I can pretty much guarantee something else is going to stick and/or die. If things get to that point, I've kept my favorite Focus; I'll get out my soldering iron and start transplanting little-used keyswitches.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 09:35 PM   #14
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Here's what I use: http://www.logitech.com/en-us/keyboa...rd/devices/192
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 11:23 PM   #15
jaxx6166
Wizard
jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jaxx6166 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 350, iPad, PW
Huh..Kovid that's a neat one. I've always loved Logitech products, before my Mac, I had used the G15? gaming keyboard thingie with the LCD screen. Prior to that, I was in love with my MS Natural. It had been my favorite keyboard for probably around ten years. Now, I find myself using the standard Mac keyboard. But, my iMac is way too big to write on. 27" is too much screen real estate. It hurts my eyes. And my shinies in the office distract me, so most of my work comes off the macbook keyboard.

I looked at the maltron thingie through google, and frankly, it frightened me. Way too syfy
jaxx6166 is offline   Reply With Quote