Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 04-09-2010, 09:01 PM   #1
diokdin
Groupie
diokdin began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone 4, Astak EZ Pocket Pro, Kindle 3 3G
I think Qualcomm MEMS mirasol will kick iPad on it's butt

Check this out: Just saw this, what do you guys think?

It's colored, touch screen but doesnt use a whole lot of energy too. Battery last for a week.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDoVz...os=AVl27m_3pSY
diokdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 09:45 PM   #2
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
i don't know why battery life is such a concern. my ipad goes all day just fine, and i have to sleep sooner or later, so that's when i plug it in. unless you're going out in the bush for a week and won't have access to power.. there's always solar though.

this ipad is also more than just some hardware.. does qualcomm have a store? do they have developers producing apps? do they have deals lined up with music, movie and publishing houses for content? a killer device is nothing without content. i think we all agree while the ipads hardware is good, it could be better (camera, stereo speakers, sd slot, usb). what is making the ipad is the software and content that is available for it right now.

Last edited by scottjl; 04-09-2010 at 09:47 PM.
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-09-2010, 09:54 PM   #3
sachinwalia
Connoisseur
sachinwalia began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone 4, iPad, Kindle Fire, Kindle SO
Quote:
Originally Posted by diokdin View Post
Check this out: Just saw this, what do you guys think?

It's colored, touch screen but doesnt use a whole lot of energy too. Battery last for a week.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pDoVz...os=AVl27m_3pSY
Yeah. right.
sachinwalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 11:17 PM   #4
diokdin
Groupie
diokdin began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone 4, Astak EZ Pocket Pro, Kindle 3 3G
Well, just saying. It's still new, but it got definite potential. I don't know if they will have any store coming out or apps or what nots yet, since it looks like it still in the works. But with what we can see it's very attractive and as I said potential. Especially for magazine, comic books bec it's colored but good for the eyes to read.

Look at other brands of ebook out in the market, they started out without any stores. They could just sell their reader to the people. There are lots of ebook stores to buy ebooks at. They can start up small and it builds up, look at Astak, now they have an ebook store launching.

Don't diss the product yet bec it doesnt have Apple name on it or any known name like B&N, Amazon or Sony. You never know they might surprise you in a good way when they launch their product.
diokdin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2010, 11:26 PM   #5
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
Good for you! Let's see in 5 years which one is still in development.
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-09-2010, 11:32 PM   #6
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
It is smaller than an iPad so it will be more portable but it does not do internet yet, no email, no drawing etc.

The power consumption she says is 7.5watts. iPad is 2.5watts.

But it is a promising device and it will definitely not kick iPad's butt...
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 08:12 AM   #7
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
The girl is pretty ignorant about it and is messing up a lot of her information. The screen is not 7.5 watts. She made that mistake a few times, so I guess she's genuinely ignorant.

Mirasol has been floating around in demos for a while now, and the 5.7" screen may very well be out this year.

Their demo chassis is not a reader. It's a demo chassis to showcase the screen, that's all. They're not making their own reader software or anything else either. That'll be the job of other companies who buy the screens.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 09:12 AM   #8
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
The tech is Bistable, like e-ink. I'll believe production when I see production. Sorry but there's been other display technologies that looked good but never made it out the door....
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2010, 01:20 PM   #9
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
I do think screen techs like mirasol, pixel qi etc. have a ton of possibilities for making great tablets that can do all the video, internet etc. and also come close to e-ink in reflective mode for those who care.

Personally, not being an avid reader, I don't care that much and won't wait for those techs to mature before buying a tablet. The iPad's screen is fine, it's some OS limitations that have kept me from running out and buying one.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote